Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Old Jam hut pics (Read 4956 times)
BC
Donor Member

Old Jam hut pics
Sep 17th, 2010 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
It found these old pics of a trip Cooch and I did with a couple of other blokes.
Maybe someone can name the areas and streams. I can't remember.

It looks like snow behind the hut, but it is just white parched dersert. Mid summer. That is one hell of a hot place.

Cooch looking towards the saddle we got dropped off in. There was a dead helecopter in the tussock where we hopped out. Our chopper just hovered and we had to jump about 8 feet ionto the ground. The other 2 guys got dropped off at the hut.

Somewhere above the hut.

Chamois I shot (had him mounted).
Those are my ballet legs. I forgot to put my tramping/hunting legs on for that trip. I have different sets of legs I can screw on for various occasions.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Re: Old Jam hut pics
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Nice chamois BC. There are still a few bits of helicopter near that saddle too.

IP Logged

tramper
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 12:18am
Print Post  
I've always wanted to go there. Maybe one day I will. Was it Haycock saddle you landed at. I think there is a biv there now.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.  I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.  I shall use my time." -Jack London

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 2:45am
Print Post  
tramper wrote on Sep 18th, 2010 at 12:18am:
I've always wanted to go there. Maybe one day I will. Was it Haycock saddle you landed at. I think there is a biv there now.

Haycock is the other direction

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Thats the George saddle I believe, marched through it a few times fifty years ago,Chamois hadn't colonised the Jam then,though it was only four of five years later that I was travelling through from the Fidget and walked onto four lying up in the George stream.

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Just remembered,  I left the Jam Hut in August for a bit of a trip up the Clarence. Wasn't meant to go beyond the Haycock saddle but being young and impetuous I got as far as Bluff Dump, and came back via the heads of the Limestone and Dubious,[just tents there back then]  Anyway cruising down the Jam and just about in sight of the hut and I thought to myself,hello the hillside looks pretty green. Then a sudden thought ,oh no I've burnt the bloody hut down. Round the bend,and phew,it's still standing, all around greenery and burnt manuka. hang on there is a thin column of smoke leaning out of the chimney, I approached the hut.
At the doorway I encountered a bewhiskered and rather irate field officer. ''And where have you been?'' he demanded. ''aah, flycamping between here and the Fidget Bill"' I said.  "' For six bloody weeks'' he replied, '' don't bullshit me, and  you put the fire out properly before you left?''  And so on and so on. I always put the ashes out and pour a few billys of water on them, guess I was one billyful shy. A good lesson. Smiley  [ I came very close to being sacked over that, only thing that saved me was I'd run into a few animals during my wander about]
For punishment I had to shoot the Clarence the following summer Smiley

IP Logged

cooch
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Yes George saddle, spent a night out up there once after a hunt in the Dodermeade(spelling).Got a nice chamois though.

The older I get-- -  the better I was.

IP Logged

willowgrub
Forum Font

if you dont fish or hunt
i dont wanna know

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Nice place Smiley was their much chamois there?

Ruger m77 hawkeye 308.

IP Logged

cooch
Forum Senior

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 9:10am
Print Post  
willowgrub wrote on Sep 19th, 2010 at 4:34am:
Nice place Smiley was their much chamois there?

It's a few years ago now. Three of us got a buck each, saw about 20 in two days.

The older I get-- -  the better I was.

IP Logged

SIKADDICTION.
Forum Font

Addicted to Sika hunting

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Nice to see some older memory's pop up, Bon, can you tell a few more please, and cooch i don't see you around here much any more, you must have a few stories with BC to tell   Wink

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2010 at 11:23pm
Print Post  

Haycocks Saddle from centre Ridge

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 9:48pm
Print Post  

Haycocks Bivy

2 Days Later

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

reidpaulnz
Just Joined

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Hi folks, I love the photos of Jam Hut. Any idea when the open fire was removed?

Paul

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2017 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
The Jam hut has a bit of history in that it was the first Forest Service hut to be located in the Kaikouras. About 1959[I think] The materials were dropped from the bomb rack  of a Cessna 180,I know it hadn't hadn't been there for long when I first used it.The windows were perspex and bunks  scrim sacking. Glen Alton Station were still grazing sheep out there at the time [about 3 or 4 hundred wethers], and also used the hut,although there was tentage rolled up and stowed on site as the location had been used by musterers,rabbiters,Gvt hunters etc for many years. Those who know the area will agree that there are not lot of options for hut sites in the Jam,as consideration had to given for fix wing airdrops which can be quite exciting in some of those tight watersheds.  There was/is a pack track out to the Jam and although it may be hard to follow now,as air dropping of supplies became the norm horses were no longer used. There were a surprising number of deer, right through the area. Surprising because it was  supposedly a winter goat block. We got ten bob for deer,but goats and pigs were 3/6. So no prize for guessing where my priorities lay.I heard later that one of the local runholders was less than thrilled  with the goat tally in comparison to the number of deer shot. I was  We had an airdrop  at the Point hut, the old Gibson hut,Calf saddle, and at the Jam.Four bags of food were dropped from a Domine at each hut, their terminal descent marginally slowed by  two WW1 army surplus officers hankerchiefs. A case of 303 ammo[750 rounds] and a bag of flour was free dropped at each location,and in a feat of pinpoint bombing accuracy in  the Jam, a bag of spuds and onions was also free dropped,closely followed by the case of ammo,and then by a bag of flour.The local  possums pigs,kea,rats etc had a week of feasting fun and frolics.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards