Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Upgrade Scope from fixed power Leupold... (Read 3509 times)
DaveMac
Ex Member

Upgrade Scope from fixed power Leupold...
Sep 5th, 2010 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Currently using a .308 Stainless Synthetic Winchester Classic, with pre-64 action.  I handload Sierra BT's and it groups well.  Mostly in Kawekas in bush and some open tops.  I have always used a leupold fixed 4X Scope.  Bullet proof, never fogs and holds zero well.   Smiley

However, of late Ive been thinking it was time I moved on and looked at something a bit more versatile with better optics.  As I have never had the need to change Im not really up with optics.  It appears a lot of brands have caught up to the traditional quality brands like Leupold, Red field, Meopta  Kales etc.  Undecided

Dont want to get too carried away and go over the top.  I dont want to shoot 900 m shots.  Up to about 200-300 m max. Had in mind a 3-9 power and open re-brand but not a dud.  I wont be changing it around.

Perhaps a Zeiss 3-9x40, a Minox? does anyone have one of these? where does Leupold stand now, are they any better than say a bushnell elite?  Have been looking at Camera land they have some different brands.   Tongue

Thanks

IP Logged

Synthetic
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Upgrade Scope from fixed power Leupold...
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 7:56am
Print Post  
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm

Have a look at this link, it's quite informative.
A 3-star scope should be fine for general use.

IP Logged

LJP
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 10:36am
Print Post  
A Leupold variable would be my pick. Trusted, reliable, reasonable glass & lifetime warranty  Smiley

Long range rifles. Why run you'll only die tired.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 10:58am
Print Post  
I would go Zeiss or Minox.  Camera land new york had a good deal on minox 3x9 recently.

Depending on the rifle and rings you may have bolt handle clearance issues with the Zeiss.  The minox has a smaller eyepeice so should be better in that respect.

Nothing wrong with the Leupold VX3 range but I think the Zeiss and Minox have the edge in glass quality.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

AndyT

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on Sep 6th, 2010 at 10:58am:
I would go Zeiss or Minox.  Camera land new york had a good deal on minox 3x9 recently.

I approached Camera Land NY recently about the same two scopes - Zeiss and Minox - but got the following reply...

"We have been getting a hard time from some suppliers that they have gotten complaints from distributors over there about us selling to their area, which is why we pulled it from our site. I can fill a Vortex order for you, however, not a Minox one"

Let's hope the other US-based outfits don't go the same way.

Cheers,
A

IP Logged

ChrisF
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2010 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
While I understand why the companies should look after their authourised agents to a certain degree .

BUT what they actually fail to realise is that IF they donot get the item cheaper from a dealer in the US , in most case's the company will not get a sale thru the NZ dealer ( as the customer rightly or wrongly , maybe  is stretched at the US price , and the NZ price is simply Too much ) , what is more likely to happen , is the customer will not buy a XYZ product at all .

So I feel the impact on the NZ dealers is not as much as they would believe it to be .

Later  Chris

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
hard case reading this,Ive gone other way and taken the 3x9 vari power off my main rifles...one has fixed 4x loopy and the other a fixed 6 .....only the .223 still wears a vari power but its an older vx11 so is staying put,the high rings n base the rifle has suit the 50mm lens perfectly.
I find life rather amusing in that folk are constantly changing and sometimes end up going around in a big circle to end up where they began,having spent a shiteload of $$$$ along the way.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  

Yeah, but that thread was 2010.

Have got a young mate going through all that, he 'farm' hunts, so he's shooting long range - and he went through a number of guns before he settled on a 7mm-08 Tikka with a flash Nightforce scope.
He shot a lot of deer with that, then saw something he wanted more. So he traded his Tikka and bought the new gun, then saw something better again - so he sold that and bought the new gun.
That 'new' one didn't last six months - he flogged it off and bought a spanking new Tikka which could shoot the feeler off an ant at 400yds - and now he's seen something at 'Ted's auction' he wants morer.
"Jeez mate, you used to have one of them."
"Yeah, but this one is shinier."

I think for some people, the 'joy' is in the chase - and not much wrong with that ................

"Bet you ten bob you'll have another Tikka inside eighteen months"
"Sod off."

As a 'bystander' - I'm enjoying it  Smiley

I went hunting with him three years ago and during the middle of the night he abandoned his tent and tried to crawl into my sleeping bag.
"f**ks sake, you need a girlfriend."
"I heard noises out there."

"Ha, ha, ha ...... there's always noises out there."

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
stuck at home with manflue...going back to really early threads is rather fun....loads of great info and discussions.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 7:58pm
Print Post  

Ummm - I'm guilty of that too mate  Smiley

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
havent been out for over a yr,,bloody boring so a bit of a post..
just brought a vixen 3-12x40 nice bit of glass,,as said havent been out but good clear glass and rates better that a minox 3 or nikons
on 6x i can see into the neighbours pines good enough at 451 yrds to have a clear vision and so place a fairly accurate shot on a pinecone
i asked the neighbour if i could shoot some rabbits with the 22 but the subject was avoided,,didnt bother asking if i could shoot his pinecones Grin Grin

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #11 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
not out for a year!!!!!!!!!! you will be sleep hunting if you keep that up Mate...

IP Logged

Macker
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Surprised to see this still floating about.   Roll Eyes

I ended up purchasing a Meopta Meopro 3.5 - 10, good optics, gathers heaps of light still on the Winchester. (9 years don't change good gear very often!) Still got the old 4 x Leuopold and is  about to go on a Ruger American rimfire to take out a young fella..

Am after some weaver style bases and rings, I see Brownells don't export rings?  recommend any other suppliers?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards