Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Sticky Topic My approach to pig dog injuries (Read 7653 times)
ghost of ethos
Ex Member

My approach to pig dog injuries
Aug 25th, 2010 at 11:50am
Print Post  
A few thoughts here, feel free to post any ideas or questions for discussion:

The cleaner and more recent a wound is, the more likely it is to hold stitches and staples. After 24 hours, the chance of a wound re breaking open goes up rapidly. A wound several days old will have a high chance of breakdown.

Flushing a wound with saline or salty water is a good way of reducing contamination, avoid flushing with concentrate disinfectants - it can damage tissue and slow healing. I will sometimes flush with very dilute iodine for some antibacterial action.

Often I will leave "poke holes" open to drain. That said, these injuries are potentially the most dangerous if in the groin armpit or neck they may involve large blood vessels, if over the chest they may go deep enough to collapse a lung - apply pressure to stop sucking chest wounds.  A dog with a collapsing lung will start to heave with its breathing.
If a poke hole enters the abdomen I will usually open the dog up to check for perforated intestine.
Unless there is good reason as above for sealing a poke hole, allowing these holes to stay open helps prevent abscess formation by providing drainage.

Lacerations that dont go too deeply in to muscle may be closed after cleaning. Lacerations over very mobile parts of the body - elbows, shoulder, hock , I will usually close if there is any lifting of the skin even if they are smallish - from about 5cm centimeters long, because healing will be slow due to the amount of movement when the dog walks.

Lacerations into muscle are best sutured with particular muscle holding sutures to speed healing - unstitched muscle swells a lot and can scar and depending on muscles injured, may impair movement when healed.

lacerations inside the groin or armpit often open up a big pocket - the technical term is "dead space"- this pocket, and for that matter other pockets where the skin pulls away from the body are best remedied by placing drains before stitching the skin.  Im a big fan of rubber penrose drains, these are usually pulled out 3-5 days later.
Drains are also great if a wound was contaminated before being stitched, they lessen the risk of stitches not holding.
Deadspace that isnt drained fills up with fluid -"seroma"- and is more likely to abscess.

I most often pull out stitches or staples 2 weeks later.

My choice of antibiotics depends in the type of injury, for skin deep wounds with minimal contamination I often use cephalexin, if slightly contaminated , maybe amoxicillin/clavulanic acid combo, and if deeper tissue injury maybe cephalexin plus metronidazole.
Stopping antibiotics too soon is one cause of abscesses reoccuring.

Iodine (betadine)is a very good topical disinfectant, maybe diluted 50/50, I dont use it under the skin unless diluted much more .
purple spray (usually containing oxytet) is also good for superficial wounds.

Common sense for first aid - pressure is very good for stopping bleeding, clean towels or clothing can be used to pack a wound or apply more pressure. If you can see an artery squirting, pinching it or clamping it with clean pliers or similar can help.
Keep everything as clean as you can.

Tetanus is possible in dogs with deep injuries from bacteria in the dirt in some areas, although not particularly common in dogs (differs area to area), pig dogs are slightly more prone than others because of their injury type - a vaccine is available.

IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Re: My approach to pig dog injuries
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
ethos, whats your opinion of "wound powders"? i had a small puffer bottle of fine charcoal grey powder, you puffed it onto superficial cuts to provide a crust, it also had some antibacterial properties, i have since heard its not that good and the wound will heal/drain better if left open??

IP Logged

Aunty
Donor Member

Forum Slapper

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
cheers mate

when my dgs get ripped deep in the bush, even if a superficial skin rip, i like to close it as best as possible in there, even if its just a staple or two to stop shit getting in it on the way out.

ethos, on the subject of shaving dog hair. I am about to purchase special clippers for this as i understand human clippers wont do it.

how do you keep the fine shaved hair out of the wound, especially with fine short haired dogs, when doing this. i have heard of filling the wound with gel prior to shaving, making easier cleanup after wards - any thing else you can reccommend?

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

chris
Donor Member

a setter is better!

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Aunty wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:14pm:
cheers mate

when my dgs get ripped deep in the bush, even if a superficial skin rip, i like to close it as best as possible in there, even if its just a staple or two to stop shit getting in it on the way out.

ethos, on the subject of shaving dog hair. I am about to purchase special clippers for this as i understand human clippers wont do it.

how do you keep the fine shaved hair out of the wound, especially with fine short haired dogs, when doing this. i have heard of filling the wound with gel prior to shaving, making easier cleanup after wards - any thing else you can reccommend?

your old lady shave just not giving you the brazilion you dream of ay bro? Shocked Grin Grin

IP Logged

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
cheers mate

Actually mate, and Im not taking the p*ss, but KY gel is what gets used in clinic most often for lining a wound while clipping.

IP Logged

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:10pm:
ethos, whats your opinion of "wound powders"? i had a small puffer bottle of fine charcoal grey powder, you puffed it onto superficial cuts to provide a crust, it also had some antibacterial properties, i have since heard its not that good and the wound will heal/drain better if left open??

I dont use wound powder myself but I know plenty of vets who still do, its probably a dollar each way.
I guess if you are a fair way from civilisation using a wound powder may help to protect if its going to be stitched later.

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
i have heard of filling the wound with gel prior to shaving, making easier cleanup after wards - any thing else you can reccommend?

Actually mate, and Im not taking the p*ss, but KY gel is what gets used in clinic most often for lining a wound while clipping.

Well that's handy. He has an awful lot of that and takes it everywhere.

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Once lost a dog, and i think it was avoidable.
A small poke to the abdomen resulted in a bubble of intestine pokeing through, about 4 cm in total. Took her to the vet, but the intestine had died.
What I feel we should have done is held her down and lengthened the cut to allow us to push the intestine back in and wrapped the wound.
Your thoughts?

IP Logged

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A small poke to the abdomen resulted in a bubble of intestine pokeing through, about 4 cm in total. Took her to the vet, but the intestine had died.
What I feel we should have done is held her down and lengthened the cut to allow us to push the intestine back in and wrapped the wound.
Your thoughts?

How long was the intestine out of the body, shanks?
If you cant poke it in fairly quickly, then wrapping in a wet towel would help. Intestine must be kept moist or it damages quite quickly.
Also if the blood supply gets squeezed off it dies. Id be wary of causing further damage or perforating the intestine by trying to widen the hole though.
Depending on the type of injury and state of the dog, it is sometimes possible for the vet to cut and join intestine around damaged bits.

A shame about the dog Sad thats a nasty injury tho.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
Your thoughts?

If you cant poke it in fairly quickly, then wrapping in a wet towel would help. Intestine must be kept moist or it damages quite quickly.
Also if the blood supply gets squeezed off it dies. Id be wary of causing further damage or perforating the intestine by trying to widen the hole though.
Depending on the type of injury and state of the dog, it is sometimes possible for the vet to cut and join intestine around damaged bits.

Yeah that was what happened. Also took 3-4 hrs to get to the vets.

IP Logged

ghost of ethos
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2010 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your thoughts?

Yeah that was what happened. Also took 3-4 hrs to get to the vets.

Thats a shame, a bit unlucky -the time frame might have been otherwise ok, it would be fairly heroic to try and widen the hole under battlefield conditions though.

IP Logged

Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Excellent Thread,
                      Well done whoever dreamt the idea up! Wink

IP Logged

MEB
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2010 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Brilliant thread Ethos Cool

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards