Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Hearing protection and Firearms (Read 29575 times)
Duckpression

Re: Hearing protection and Firearms
Reply #60 - Sep 25th, 2016 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
very interesting and some good reading there, would also be keen  if we were to do a bulk order to get them at a lower price, ear plugs with a cord to tie onto scope would be good

duck fever: disease duck hunters commonly suffer from during the off season.

IP Logged

gonetropo
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #61 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
i have been building pro sound equipment most of my working life and trust me hearing protection while shooting is a must. a firearm has a sharp attack and slow decay type of waveform so its like your eardrum is being quickly compressed and then slowly released. its more than a question of dB its the way the eardrum is shocked. this is why people who play the violin will go deaf quicker than people who play the piano harp etc. the eardrum responds well to nice sounds that let it move in and out in a smooth motion and firearms dont do this.

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #62 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Onset/decay asymmetry is actually an irrelevant variable in damage/risk criteria. It is simply the peak SPL when it comes to small arms damage and obviously the number of repetitions that determine the risk of hearing loss.

The middle ear (including eardrum) isn't at issue- it's the sound energy reaching the cochlea that matters.

IP Logged

Onehunter
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #63 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Over here in the UK pretty much everyone now wears hearing protection.  On the range it is compulsory.  Only exception is when out hunting using a sound moderator.   It is true, a single rifle shot can permanently damage your hearing.  It is not big or clever not to use hearing protection.  Try Peltor Sportac ear defenders. Excellent

IP Logged

thebushninja
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #64 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I wear Peltor sport tac earmuffs when hunting (always bush). They are really comfortable to wear. They have an amplification level of up to 11% but when hunting I use about 8% as you get wind noise above that, No bastard can get near me without me hearing them coming and no deer gets away as I heard them first. They cut any sound over 50 decibles like gun shots.

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #65 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 6:07am
Print Post  
50 decibels is actually a soft speech level. 11% loudness increase is about 2dB and barely discernible, and if you're talking sound pressure level or even intensity, 11% is still bugger-all.

The peak SPL values we're talking with firearms start to really matter over 140 peak SPL with big bangers/brakes often producing over 170dB, ie instantaneous permanent damage to hearing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards