Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Hearing protection and Firearms (Read 29387 times)
J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Re: Hearing protection and Firearms
Reply #45 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks Chris. Is the left ear being more likely to be damaged than the right theory I heard correct? If so, why is that? Also, as an expert, what's your view on the need for ear defence when using a moderator? Cheers.

IP Logged

rambo-6mmRem
Forum Font

6mm remington with 100gn
corelokt yum

Reply #46 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
I always wear ear plugs and sometimes when on the range ear plugs and muffs at the same time

if you go to bed with an itchy bottom you'll wake up with smelly finger

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #47 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
It's a consistent effect J- the contralateral (other side) ear  is more affected. It's the first question I ask if I find a high frequency notch worse on the left ear.

As for using protection with suppressors, I'd say you should err on the cautious side. A .223 with a good can is probably quite safe but a big boomer with a poor can almost certainly wouldn't be safe. I'll admit to using my suppressed .223 without any plugs on a regular basis and the 4kHz hearing in my left ear hasn't shifted.

One thing's for sure- guys who fire any std centrefire without protection will inevitably suffer hearing loss. They're way beyond the critical level for outer hair cell damage in the inner ear. Those who use brakes without protection can expect rapid damage and believe me, even the most exotic hearing aids don't come close to what you were born with.

IP Logged

Sako75
Forum Font

Reply #48 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
I've had tinnitus since March last year. Don't know if it was from sighting in my rifle or using mates nail gun to help neighbour over the road finish off building a fence. Either way it is a c*nt of a thing to have. It is quiet times like in a room with no noise or when going to sleep that it is noticeable. Had quiet a few sleepless nights to start with and would fall asleep in front of the telly in the early hours of the morning
Look after your ears

As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder. 
- John Glenn

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #49 - Feb 4th, 2014 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
I swim 1500m 5 days a week and use Speedo ear plugs to keep the water out of my ears , I discovered they work just as well in keeping sound out and now use them for lawn mowing and shooting , they are easily as effective as foam plugs , probably more so and are a lot more comfortable and reusable. I got mine for about $9 at a Rebel sports sale  http://www.rebelsport.co.nz/default.aspx?q=ear+plugs&submit.x=18&submit.y=18

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

Reply #50 - Feb 6th, 2014 at 7:25am
Print Post  
Another thing that can be bad for your ears (not hearing per se) is a lot of swimming, esp in cool water.

This will eventually produce exostoses which are bulbous growths off the bony wall of the ear canal. These aren't so bad in themselves but if in an advanced state, can near block your ear canal and make clearing water out of ears very difficult and thus susceptible to chronic external ear infections. They can also make audiologists' lives hell if you end up needing hearing aids.

Wearing suitable ear plugs goes a long way to preventing these.

IP Logged

23hunter
Just Joined

Reply #51 - Jun 15th, 2014 at 3:42am
Print Post  
Yea hearing lose for keeps not worth it there seems to be culture among many people of not taking hearing loss very seriously. good to hear others on site not as stupid as them.

IP Logged

Tenehenehee
Just Joined

Reply #52 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
I had a computer 'belch', so I guess my reply wasn't poste- least I don't see it.

I was shooting a Cold when I lived in Alaska, and one of my ear buds fell out, and I took a shot - my ear rang from that for hours. My military work had me in simple headphones quite often, and even that damaged my ears. I bought ear protection, not buds, for funning, to prevent that from happening again.

QUESTION for one who knows: 
How do elite soldiers handle this in the field, on mission? There's no way in Hades I'd be making my hearing one iota less acute while on operation of that kind.  Is the hearing loss simply an expectation? And they have some beautiful, covet-worthy 'loud' fire power. Insert drool cup, bib, and Scarlet Letter for my coveting nature. Smirk.

IP Logged

Tenehenehee
Just Joined

Reply #53 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
LOL.  Shooting a COLT, not a cold.....geez, sorry.

IP Logged

mauser308
Donor Member

Reply #54 - Jan 2nd, 2015 at 5:17am
Print Post  
ChrisHB wrote on Feb 6th, 2014 at 7:25am:
Another thing that can be bad for your ears (not hearing per se) is a lot of swimming, esp in cool water.

This will eventually produce exostoses which are bulbous growths off the bony wall of the ear canal. These aren't so bad in themselves but if in an advanced state, can near block your ear canal and make clearing water out of ears very difficult and thus susceptible to chronic external ear infections. They can also make audiologists' lives hell if you end up needing hearing aids.

Wearing suitable ear plugs goes a long way to preventing these.

Yeah, those growths can be a bitch.  The drill bit type clearance op is not too fun I'm told - as a construction diver I'm in one of those professions prone to them as well as being one of the noisiest working environments you can get due to the velocity of sound through water.  Up to around 25m I'm wearing disposable earplugs in the enclosed helmets, they function perfectly fine which they are not meant to do under pressure (or so the experts tell me).

What I've found through trial and error, is that I exclusively use the orange 3m type earplugs if I can as everything else is crap in comparison.  If the 3m ones are fitted correctly they can offer performance far in excess of the rated reduction level (for me anyway), and it's noticeable how much better they are than even the good Peltor Grade 6 earmuffs. 

That is my experience so far, and through construction diving, flying, work around extremely loud machinery including fans and blowers (high pressure air being released is one of the loudest sounds in industry) AND shooting for military and recreation - my hearing curve is remarkably flat and slightly lower on the right than the left which has been partially put down to driving trucks with the window down...

Take it for what it's worth and YMMV but those little 3m orange foam earplugs are a go-to for me now.

IP Logged

bill f

Reply #55 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Too late for me....i am 65 years old and was avid upland bird hunter from age 11 to about age 30.......fired untold shotgun rounds.  Job and family curtailed  my hunting for a while but i still enjoyed the membership of both a sporting clay club and a rifle club where hearing and eye protection is mandatory......strictly enforced.  My hearing is damaged  and i talk loud and irritate people by forever requiring them to repeat themselves.  If you are young.....PROTECT YOUR HEARING.

P.S. fired 2 rifle shots monday at dusk killing 2 whitetail doe.  My ears rang for 2 days.  I am going to purchase some kind of electronic ear muffs for both clays and hunting

IP Logged

Kerry
Donor Member

Reply #56 - Feb 19th, 2016 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Great subject - I have written a couple of articles that may be of interest...

http://precisionshooter.co.nz/shooting-and-hearing-damage/
http://precisionshooter.co.nz/hearing-protection-choices/

Just finishing off the third part focusing on my custom molded earplugs.

Thankfully, I learnt early on in life that hearing protection was mandatory. I was working in nightclubs in the weekends and studios during the day - as a mastering engineer it is basically your hearing that makes you money - so there was no way I could let that get damaged!

www.thebloke.co.nz - beards, bikes, ballistics.
IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #57 - Feb 20th, 2016 at 6:10am
Print Post  
How do these compare to a set of moulded earplugs? or even electronic earmuffs.

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/gsp15.html

If it ain't broke, I can fix it 'til it is!

IP Logged

Loyal2no1
Just Joined

Reply #58 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 12:23am
Print Post  
I use Sordin Pro Ear Electronic Duffs/Muffs(?!) which are an extremely expensive (and overpriced) option that allows you to hear but will block out the sound of a gun shot. The audio is pretty good (but kinda Mono/flat sounding - don't expect Beats by Dre of Bose quality!!!) and you do lose a bit of awareness but overall they are pretty good for open terrain. I haven't field tested them in the thick bush yet but I have a funny feeling they'll get snagged off on a branch if I'm not too careful and will probably get hot... Custom electronic ear buds would be the best option IMO but those are super *expensive*!!!! I think $1000 AUD and up maybe?!

Military Arms Channel does a pretty good review on electronic hearing protection including the MSA Sordin that I have;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IL8InVDHkY

IP Logged

Loyal2no1
Just Joined

Reply #59 - Aug 19th, 2016 at 12:27am
Print Post  
These are the high end of electronic ear pro - custom made ear buds;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JadliBraDTo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards