Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Hearing protection and Firearms (Read 29334 times)
Yorkshire
Forum Font

So much hunting to do,
so little time.

Re: Hearing protection and Firearms
Reply #15 - Sep 11th, 2010 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
When I first started game shooting wondering around with the shotgun I never wore any protection. Why ?? well all those old boys who got me into it didnt either.

After all a while i realised or their age they didnt hear that well. Three in particular great guys and sportsman. They had been brought up shooting from an early age hence the damage.

I soon started wearing protection... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Kitto

Reply #16 - Sep 18th, 2010 at 8:45am
Print Post  
I've said this in another thread a while back, but I thought it would be relevant here. A couple of months back I went and got one of those free hearing tests from bay audiology just out of interest, as I thought my hearing was pretty shit hot. Turns out I already have moderate hearing damage in my left ear, and a small amount of loss of hearing in my right. This was a bit of a shock as a 20 year old  Angry
I've been shooting since the age of 8, and have only gone without earmuffs when hunting.. Shows how fragile ears are!

If I continue down the road I'm currently on, I'll probably end up along similar lines to some of the older guys on here. Now I always carry at least one set of plugs with me, and am seriously looking into grabbing a suppressor.. small investment in comparison to a 9 grand set of heaing aids!

I'd also reccommend taking one of those hearing tests too if you think your hearing's fine, chances are it will give you a bit of a surprise!

IP Logged

noobhunter

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #17 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 11:14am
Print Post  
ProudKiwi wrote on Aug 30th, 2010 at 10:26pm:
I wonder if there is the possiblity of a "group" purchase for forum members?  Decent ear muffs are a must but are also not the cheapest items out there.

I am sure that Protector Safety would be open to a deal if between us all we purchased say 20 pairs of Tact 6's (sportac's) or an equivalent model??

Just an idea  Smiley

I could help there, I work for PS / BPK.  Wink
Wouldent need to buy 20pairs either.

IP Logged

HUNTING Journalist
Donor Member

Love to hunt SIKA.

Reply #18 - Oct 4th, 2010 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Has anyone tried the digital hearing enhancers? They block out gunfire etc but ampilfies low volume sound.
I see them here at Bass Pro...
http://www.basspro.com/Hunting-Hunting-Accessories-Listening-Devices/_/N-1z11cxl

Martin Askes

IP Logged

FareGame

Reply #19 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 1:52am
Print Post  
I haven't but I know a Audiologist

Generally its the expensive hearing aids that have the VERY quick cicurts needed to shut down the noise of the shot - gunshots are a very quick sound pulse

Someone was making them in NZ - forgot who - just remember that they aren't cheap to get right

IP Logged

Feather or Shoot

22-250 REM Weatherby

Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:59am
Print Post  
I've just chucked a gunworks suppressor on my 22-250 because it was louder than my friends 308. I now don't use earplugs when using suppressor but am wondering if maybe i should.

I get the odd loud shot out of the suppressor and can't work out what it is and have been having trouble with my ears/hearing (never good at the best of times)

Has anybody had any advice on suppressors and hearing protection? I'm hoping it's ok as it would defeat the purpose of owning a suppressor if i had to wear plugs as well.

IP Logged

stewey1
Donor Member

Reply #21 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 12:00am
Print Post  
I have slightly damaged ears from the army(to many machine gun blasts close to me and crappy ear plugs)

I alway where ear plugs hunting and muffs att the range.

for hunting they just dangle around me neck, whenI start stalking I put one in and put the second in when im about to fire, easy

IP Logged

gimp
Forum Font

Stay frosty

Reply #22 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Feather or Shoot wrote on Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:59am:
I've just chucked a gunworks suppressor on my 22-250 because it was louder than my friends 308. I now don't use earplugs when using suppressor but am wondering if maybe i should.

I get the odd loud shot out of the suppressor and can't work out what it is and have been having trouble with my ears/hearing (never good at the best of times)

Has anybody had any advice on suppressors and hearing protection? I'm hoping it's ok as it would defeat the purpose of owning a suppressor if i had to wear plugs as well.

I'd still wear plugs with a suppressor. Quieter than unsuppressed doesn't mean hearing-safe

IP Logged

Feather or Shoot

22-250 REM Weatherby

Reply #23 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 2:46am
Print Post  
gimp wrote on Dec 7th, 2010 at 12:07am:
Feather or Shoot wrote on Dec 6th, 2010 at 8:59am:

I'd still wear plugs with a suppressor. Quieter than unsuppressed doesn't mean hearing-safe

I'm leaning that way myself. I'm going to miss hearing the echo of bunnies popping though....oh well.

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #24 - Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:50am
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

TESERACT

Reply #25 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 10:48am
Print Post  
For 20 years I have been using Sonic Ear Valves  for hunting. I find them indispenseble when shooting Canadas' on organised culls. I use heavy loads(4 1/2 dram) and over 3 days at around 80 rounds a day(on average) and often in fast succession . I know I would be quite deaf by now without them.  They work by closing a small valve when hit by a sonic wave of high amplitude. They are not as effective as full muffs but are a good compramise. Silencio make these, as do North Industries. Hope this helps.

politics is merely the entertainment branch of industry--------Frank Zappa

IP Logged

Peanut
Just Joined

Reply #26 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Ive got some hearing loss in my right ear, the only cause we can come up with is firing rifles. It hasnt changed over the last 5 years, I get tested at work each year. Have been using plugs and muffs as much as possible. Had 2 magnums go off at virtually the same time on my last deer hunt tho, both with muzzle brakes. I had the ringing sound for over a week in both ears. Will be interesting to see how the next test goes.

IP Logged

PaulNZ

Reply #27 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 4:41am
Print Post  
I purchased a pair of electronic ear-plugs after I got a dose of tinnitus. Starkey Magnum-Ears, pricey but darn good so far. Maybe not so pricey when you compare it to the price of a couple of suppressors actually.

I'll give them a good workout on opening weekend of duckshooting, maybe write up a bit of a review one of these days.

IP Logged

veitnamcam
Forum Senior

Reply #28 - May 11th, 2011 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Now they sound like a good idea. how much? where from? ive been wearing ear plugs at work for nearly 20ys (cant stand ear muffs when sweating) and have been useing for zeroing last couple of years(better late than never) but wouldnt use them for hunting. i take these allow you to hear normaly untill the big bang or 9" grinder gets started?

If it aint got diff locks it aint a 4wd

IP Logged

PaulNZ

Reply #29 - May 14th, 2011 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
My ones are Starkey Magnum Ears - Silver (Digital) Model. To get the bad news out of the way first - my set was $1600 from Dilworth Hearing. To get the same set from Bay Audiology was even more. If you start looking into these electronic ear-plugs, you can get both cheaper and more expensive models. Cheaper tends to cut into the audio quality (apparently), more expensive starts putting more hearing aid functionality into the plug - allowing you to compensate for existing hearing loss as well as protecting your remaining hearing.

I don't have any real hearing loss, but found out the hard way that my ears are prone to Tinnitus (permanent ringing) from loud sound exposure. It doesn't bug me most of the time anymore, but I'm really keen that the ringing doesn't get any louder.

The plugs I have are custom molded for my ears, so are very comfortable. You don't get sweaty ears like with ear-muffs, and they don't interfere with your rifle/shotgun stock. Volume is adjustable, and sound quality is near perfect. You can wind the volume up far beyond your normal hearing level, but there are diminishing returns on this - the sound of your own movements starts to swamp the extra sensitivity. Turned up to normal hearing level (or maybe just a touch more) there's no problem.

The plugs cut out instantaneously when you fire, but come back on quick enough that you can hear the "BOOM" rolling away up the hills. Although I haven't used them enough to be sure, I think they'd come back on quick enough to hear the bullet impact for the times when thats audible. I tried them with an angle grinder after reading your post, but they don't really work well for continuous noise. The plugs continously cut out, come back, cut out etc.

I've had mine for a couple of months now, and I reckon they're worth the money I paid.

One other thing - Dilworth will give you a 3-month trial period after receiving your new plugs. If you don't like them, all you pay is the initial $75 consultation fee. I had a long phone conversation with a shotgun shooter and audiologist - he tells me that they've never had a set returned during the trial period. Tells you something.

Happy to answer anymore questions if anyone is interested. I had trouble finding anyone with real-life experience with them when I bought mine.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards