Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Larger tent (Read 1285 times)
Cardo

Larger tent
Aug 17th, 2010 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
The wife has been asking me recently to look at getting a family tent before the summer.  Seeing as I'm far more clued up with tents for  use on hunting trips, with brands that don't seem to make larger tents, I'm hoping you guys may be able to throw me some suggestions.
I'm looking for a 2 room tent (maybe 3 rooms) that is properly waterproof and can stand a bit of wind when used near the coast.
Hoping you can all help!
Cheers, Cardo

IP Logged

FlinchedAgain
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Larger tent
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Macpac make a multiroom one I think

IP Logged

P38
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2010 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Tough Question! ....... theres only about a billion makes and models which come in millions of different colours.

I'd ask myself whats the budget, how many does it have to accomidate, how long will it be used at one time, a day, a week, a month etc, how much room do you have for storage and transport and do you need a PHD in Tent Erectology to put the bloody thing up in the dark when it's pissing down?

I'd start by having a squiz on Trade Me, you'll soon get a feel for what is avalible and what you need and can afford.

Then you'll need a trailer load of gadgets...... Just to make it a little more comfortable.

P.S. You'll often get bargins straight after the Holidays are over.  Smiley

IP Logged

ohsif

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2010 at 8:31am
Print Post  
If you intend to do a reasonable amount of camping and want a tent that will last the distance then you will want a canvas tent not nylon. The disadvantage of a canvas tent is that they are heavier and bulkier than nylon ones. However they will withstand the weather, (wind, rain and UV) and outlast nylon tents.

As far as Iím aware Kiwi Camping are the only company still making canvas tents in NZ. Coleman tents are reportedly very good but more expensive and Oztrail tents are ok. If you can pick up a Great Outdoors tent in good condition they are very good, but most are getting quite old now. They also hold their value quite well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards