Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 7 x 61 Shultz Larsen info? (Read 4616 times)
Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: 7 x 61 Shultz Larsen info?
Reply #15 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
evergreen wrote on Jul 23rd, 2017 at 9:19pm:
Interesting thread..there is/was one on trade me built on a Parker hale action for cheap.

Years ago I had one in the shop , we couldn't sell it until we rechambered it to 7mm Rem Mag , ammo was too expensive and hard to get , it sold within a week

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

geriatrix
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
I have a Schultz & Larsen M65DL in 7x61. It has a 12" twist. I think some of the later barrels have 10" twist.
Do you know any Schultz & Larsen collectors? I have heard of a guy in Cambridge with several.

IP Logged

itrh

The FishNhunt Forum looks
interesting

Reply #17 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 10:48am
Print Post  
You might get by stabilising Hornady 162 gn with a 10" twist, but when I foolishly asked for (and got) that twist in my .280 Rem, the bullets were tipping slightly at 100 m, so I flagged it.  Mind you, the shots were going away slower than they would form a & x 61.

My rifle is fine with 150 gn flat base and 140 gn BT of course, and fun don evidence of tipping when using the 150 gn Nosler ballistic tips.  Clearly a marginal situation in my rifle.

IP Logged

geriatrix
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #18 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 6:24am
Print Post  
I have a Schultz & Larsen M65DL 7x61 S&H. I use Norma 7x61 Super brass, and I have experimented with several different ADI powders, using Hornady 154gr slugs. Mine has 12" twist, so I do not use heavier slugs. (Phil Sharpe did most of his 7x61 S&L tests with 154gr slugs.) But Phil did not have AR2217, let alone AR2225.

Most of the load data available publicly is out of date. But it is well known that 7x61 Super loads are about 3gr less than 7RemMag loads (for the same pressure, slug, freebore). Using that idea, and starting with 4gr less than the ADI minimums for 7RM, I tested several ADI powders.

Example:  64gr moving up to 69.5gr of ADI2225, which is about equivalent to Retumbo. It was very safe with 69.5gr, so I then tested around 66gr to 67gr to get accuracy. I also tried AR2217, which worked nicely with suitably reduced loads.

With these Magnum calibres, and a 26" barrel, the best powders tend to be the slowest that will fit in the case! This maximizes velocity, while improving accuracy, recoil, noise, wear.

There is not much point in loading a fast powder that fills only ⅔ of the case! (AND it may be dangerous!)

Your S&L may not have the same freebore as mine, so proceed with care. I suggest 63gr moving up to 68gr AR2225. The case holds about 71gr of AR2225, but don't try more than 68gr until you have done enough testing to have confidence in your rifle. An undamaged S&L action with 4 rear locking lugs is one of the strongest actions ever made for a hunting rifle.

I have written the above for an experienced reloader. If you are a beginner, please get training & supervision.

If you are interested in selling the rifle, please contact me.

IP Logged

Homer
Banned

Life's Short, Shoot Fast!!!

Reply #19 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 5:56am
Print Post  
G'Day Fella's,

7mm Magic, I have a current S&L catalogue, and according to this, all the 7mm cartridges in their range (including the 7x61 S&L), have a 1 in 10" twist.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards