Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tents being destroyed by the Kea ??? (Read 7723 times)
MENZIES
Forum Senior

Tents being destroyed by the Kea ???
Aug 13th, 2010 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Hi guys,

Will be shortly buying a new MSR tent for our extended trip next year. I have seen in a couple posts that guys have returned back from a hunt to find their tent destroyed by Kea's

Have many people had this problem and is there any way to deter them. Thats the last thing I want to happen to my new tent.

Cheers,
MENZIES

WWWGTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Distant Stalker
Forum Font

Finem Respice

Re: Tents being destroyed by the Kea ???
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
had one tent damaged, the kea were landing on it while i was in it and every time they landed their claws puctured through the fly. Took them a while to get the message to not come back and one took off with one of my boots from under the fly (found it eventually) they are lucky they are protected at times Grin
Thought the colour/location might help but this was a green tent pitched under the canopy which is the least likely place I could think of to have problems. Just get unlucky sometimes. have a roll of100 mile an hour tape in your pack just in case Wink

IP Logged

P38
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
MENZIES wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 9:21pm:
Hi guys,

Will be shortly buying a new MSR tent for our extended trip next year. I have seen in a couple posts that guys have returned back from a hunt to find their tent destroyed by Kea's

Have many people had this problem and is there any way to deter them. Thats the last thing I want to happen to my new tent.

Cheers,
MENZIES

Menzies

I have a 100% sure fire way to prevent Keas ripping up your tent.  Smiley

Hunt in the Norf Island only  Wink

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Menzies, worry about the things that are most likely to happen. Not the things that are least likely to happen. Smiley

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Sika270
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 9:24am
Print Post  
BC wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 11:32pm:
Menzies, worry about the things that are most likely to happen. Not the things that are least likely to happen. Smiley

Good advice BC!  Smiley
Haven't had any trouble over the years - here's an earlier post on the subject.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1204839087/16#16

IP Logged

Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
I have had one attack from Kea on my tent, made a sizeable rip in the porch area.

Also had an attack from a possum or rat (didn't see it) after some food in the porch. Little bastard(s) stole the lot so I had a whole day's march back to the roadend on nowt.

My advice, take a roll of duct tape and store food in airtight (so they can''t sniff em) containers inside the tent.

But as BC said, these things are pretty rare, only happened twice to me and I'm 31.

IP Logged

keen fella
Forum Senior

Luck has nothing to do
with it.

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Have had a tent damaged while i was in it.  Kea was biting at the edges and punctured the fly,  I tried my best to deter them but the buggers thought it was a game.  Ended up sconing one with my roaring horn (pvc pipe).  Once i did that it got the msg that the game wasnt so fun and flew off and didnt come back.  They are protected but a little tough love never went astray !

Hi Everyone, I'm Alister and I'm and addict......a fishing and hunting addict !

IP Logged

Spooked

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
We got hammered by them in Southern Fiordland. We were under siege from 12 of the lil bastids for 10 days night and day. Everything got hammered - one nice mac-pac alpine tent torn to pieces along the top - the other one they just had a really good go at. On the first couple of days we left a lot of stuff under a plastic tarp with stones along the edges - they went straight through and nailed the rubber eyecups off my primo binos, pulled the stuffing out of the tongues on my nice Hanwag boots and ripped holes in just about every else. Most annoying thing was actually their mob arrival every morning at day break. Did not get one sleep in from the racket and the ensuring assault on the tent Smiley

Everything that could be was stashed in fish bins - luckily we bought a few on the chopper -  stuff put into packs and hidden in the bush and things were left out for them to play with - they seem to like red and orange best. They actually provided a lot of amusement as they were totally fearless and followed us around in the bush during the day quite a bit. This last roar in a different but as remote spot they turned up said G'day then buggered off never to be seen again. We were very glad and just had the wekas to contend with instead Smiley

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Same issue with keas - camped out on the tops during summer hunting chamois up the Whataroa. About 14 of them attacked our gear over the days. Flew away with my sons undies and socks whilst drying out. Chewed the mountain radio aerial, ripped our deck chairs to bits - fearless little bastards! Did notice one thing though - all appeared to be young birds.

I think they cause more damage than most people think. It one of those things that South Islanders have to put up with. Also I have never had the problem with keas whilst camping out on the tops of Arthurs/Lewis Pass? We see them but they don't attack our gear.
I wonder if it's to do with higher numbers on the West Coast? Not sure about this? Undecided

IP Logged

Hank
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
300RUM is in canada at the moment but he and a mate lost a lot of gear to keas on one trip he has expensive gear so was quite bitter about it.
I dont know of a legal solution to the problem.
would some kind of ultrasonic device disturb them enough to keep them away from the campsite?and not upset the game you are after.
Ive seen them marketed for other vermin but Im not sure they are that successful

IP Logged

tramper
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I thought 1080 had killed most of them.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.  I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.  I shall use my time." -Jack London

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Huntsouth wrote on Aug 15th, 2010 at 4:30pm:
I have never had the problem with keas whilst camping out on the tops of Arthurs Pass

I'm convinced that in some parts around there they have learned that a rifle shot means a feed is on the cards - they turn up in big numbers soon after there's an animal on the ground.

IP Logged

Tussock
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 2:54am
Print Post  
tramper wrote on Aug 15th, 2010 at 7:12pm:
I thought 1080 had killed most of them.

They dont 10/80 Fiordland. Possibly only coincidence thats where theres still heaps of them.

In the solid couple of years of accumulated time that the guys I worked for had Olympus tents pitched in Fiordland only one was damaged, on one occasion. A Kea landed on the top and stuck a claw through.

Perhaps the good luck was due to the fact that they mostly camped at the bushline, not on the tops, with a fly over the tent. I would never camp on the open tops in Fiordland anyway, regardless of Keas.

I understand if they are into messing with the guy ropes (easy to get a beak around) a fire starter run along the guy rope does wonders.

We got mauled by 20 juveniles somewhere in central Fiordland. They still have my hat.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Super soaker?

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Tussock
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
A handful of mud biffed at them really pisses them off. They are gone as long as it takes to clean themselves up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards