Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Poll
Poll Question: Which is the better allrounder
bars   pie

Hilux    
  51 (64.6%)
Navara    
  28 (35.4%)

Total votes: 79
« Created by: 199p on: Aug 9th, 2010 at 9:18pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hilux vs navara (Read 4067 times)
199p
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Hilux vs navara
Aug 9th, 2010 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Hay guys been doing a lot of reading on these to but cant decide.

Will be used for on-road back up and 4x4 driving, hunting mainly.

Also used for for towing a stockcar when needed, and longer trips out of town, but not a day to day driver.

Looking at around 2005 for both and in double cab 3.0 Turbo.
Looking to spend between 22 - 25k

Any input would be great

Thanks guys
Shane

**Evo9 GSR**
HorsePower = How fast you hit the wall
torque = How much of the wall you drag along with you

IP Logged

wildharvest
Ex Member

Re: Hilux vs navara
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
If your talking about the new ST-X Navaras; While they are a great road truck and tow really well, they don't compare to the Hilux off road. I've driven an 2006 ST-X for a couple of years and had a SR5 Lux for a couple of months (badly damaged the ST-X) and if i wanted a daily driver / family car / occasional 4wd i'd get the ST-X. If i wanted a really strong 4wd that i wasn;t afraid to scratch i'd get the Hilux.

IP Logged

199p
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:35pm
Print Post  

**Evo9 GSR**

IP Logged

timmay556
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 7:49am
Print Post  
All over that Hilux. I love mine and you will to!
The Hilux also has less flashy pannels and more clearance (that model and older) yet all the Nissans have much lower body parts and pannels that stick out - great for catching on everything from rocks to trees.

Mind you drive each of them and see which one you like best.

IP Logged

crzy-man
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Get the nissan, those hilux's are over rated and over priced Roll Eyes they are still a gutless squeaky old hilux

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 9:01am
Print Post  
i have the d22 nissan...... it's ok but wouldn't have another one.
the old model hilux are not as good on road but the best for everything else, they are thirster than the nissan.

i have been looking for a new ute, and did narrow it down to the newer hilux and the stx nissan........ i got that dog and lemon guide book and will go for the hilux Smiley

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Just to throw a spanner in the works, what would we prefer over the hilux, st-x, triton, ranger/BT-50, holden rodeo/colorado?

IP Logged

trg42

Bring on Spring!!!

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
ive got a 2006 hi lux. its ok, but has had a few issues. its only done 70k and has already had a new clutch, water pump and wheel bearings in the back end. they arent as bullet proof as the older hi lux's. fragile is the word that comes to mind in fact. having said that it has heaps of grunt and tows good. If i had my way i would get a new v8 cruiser, but we dont have that much $$$
I have heard some stories about the new navaras having brake issues and Nissan demanding that whole new hubs be fitted. I havent seen it first hand, so it might not be right. I have a mate with a st - x. I like the 6 speed manual box, but dont like the 2.5 engine. There is no substitute for cubic inches when you want grunt.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
The new hilux's are having issues with fuel as well I've heard. Apparently if you get a dose of shitty fuel you're looking at new injectors...not coverable by warranty?  Shocked Not really the trucks fault though...if its at all true.

I think the ST-X's are having chassis problems aren't they? Like snapping in half or something  Grin Undecided

Tritons look funny and the front ends fall off (recent recall)  Grin But I like them for some reason  Roll Eyes (the 06-08's have rear diff lock!)

I'd go a landcruiser if you had the money and were wanting Toyota... I'm not overly keen on the Hilux...as I reckon they are way overpriced for the vehicle you are getting. I'm looking at a Landcruiser now, but theres so much sh*t out there for sale its like wading through a minefield.

I can see why people pay 30 odd K on a newer vehicle and just trade more regularly. After a fair bit of research I think all the newer double cabs compete well with each other and Toyota no longer holds the noose.

They've all got their positives and negatives, and I certainly wouldnt be hammering them off road without a fair bit of toughening up courtesy of ARB! Kiss good bye to another 10K  Grin

Failing that...buy a old FJ running a 350 chev and you can't go wrong...a real truck  Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
the D22 vers the older hilux.....
hilux would be running the 1kzte motor. a  bit old tech but not a bad motor all the same.
the D22 runs the infamous ZD30 (early ones where prone to blowing pistons) more power, direct injection (so should be cheaper to run IF everything else is the same). tends to be under fueled in the low rpm range so doesn't really get up and go untill rpm is up. the higher pressure injection system is a bit more prone to bad fuel and is VERY expensive to fix/replace compared to the hilux. not as bad as common rail motors tho !

hilux LSD are always known to be soft. the navara has one of the better ones around.

not sure with hilux but navara is fairly easy to do a basic 2" lift. however the navara has crap rear springs. adding an extra leaf will fix the sag, give 2" lift and will be a lot more comfortable.

the chassi problem referred to before is probably the D22. theres a few down south that have cracked, all in the same aera. however considering that no one else around the world has reported it on the forums, the fact that the same basic chassi has been in use for 20 odd years, i think its more than likely that its an owner issue. i'm guessing its probably the suspension upgrade the owners have fitted to the  vehicles that is the cause.

one of the good things with the D22 is the basic ute is still fairly much the same. a lot of parts are interchangeable with the D21.

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
This is certainly not the last word on utes, and includes some comments I struggle with (like observable differences between the performance of BT50's and Rangers, and not always comparing apples with apples) but interesting nevertheless.

The short version...BT50 first out of 6 tested, Hilux last.

http://www.box.net/shared/etgg81ty2g

IP Logged

crzy-man
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
I use a 08 ST-X for work, up to today i've put on 83600kms in the last 13 months and 10 days (working on 5 day weeks) not much weekend driving as it's good to get out of the seat.  My first one had 58000kms when I got it and up to 124000kms when I gave it back to the boss.  In that time it had.........
New rear springs
2 new air flow meters
new bottom front sup A arms
new tie rod ends
fixed cruise control
New timing chain and tensioner
New front discs and pads

The 08 I have now i've taken from 104400kms to 122000kms and its had

New springs
Timing chain and tensioner
Front shock RH
Front discs and pads (and at the service of 120000kms I got told it needed them all over again plus 1 tie rod)
New hose on the turbo, no boost for 2 weeks cause they couldnt find the problem

The service manager cringes when I go in to get it serviced. 

Nice to drive, more pull than a school boy but f**ked if I'd own one.

IP Logged

199p
Forum Senior

Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the input guys.

Crazyman sounds like the new navara's and and the new hilux's have major problems allround, not so much in the older models from what I have read.

Tweake thats for the great input very informative, I beleave the low gas at low revs can be fixed buy getting a new chip/retune.

Looking at the ground clearance they are both similar but the Navara has an extra 1200kg for towing over the Hilux, my Stockcar weighs in around 1410kg and trailer 500kg + other crap
I think the Navara is in 1st place so far  Cheesy
and it looks better  Cool

Just need to wait for my car to sell
I have accepted an offer but wont count on it until I have it

**Evo9 GSR**

IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
199p wrote on Aug 10th, 2010 at 9:04pm:
Crazyman sounds like the new navara's and and the new hilux's have major problems allround, not so much in the older models from what I have read.
depends on what you call new. the D40's have been around for a fair while now. even the 'new' D22 has been out 3 years now.
nissan have 2 new models of D40 out this year. a higher output 2.5 and a 170 odd kw 3 litre v6 diesel  Cool

a lot of the common rails seam to suffer big problems with water in the fuel. i suspect petrol in the fuel is a big unseen killing of these. quite a few guys in the sticks in aussie have been fitting 2nd water filters.
i've had water in the fuel filter twice in the last few years and a small dose of diesel bug Sad

Quote:
Tweake thats for the great input very informative, I believe the low gas at low revs can be fixed buy getting a new chip/retune.
yes a addon chip box wil fix it. have not heard of anyone reprogramming the ecu on these yet.
a lot of the guys have reported a big increase in low down power and they drive like a diesel should Smiley
things like exhaust and intercooler also help.

check out http://www.navara.asia/forum.php

IP Logged

199p
Forum Senior

Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
Cheers for the information and the link,
I have signed up and started reading about the engine mods  Cheesy

Do you know pricing of different mods? chip, intercooler, exhaust would be around $800 im guessing. Snorkel?

Have you done many upgrades to yours?

**Evo9 GSR**

IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
not many mods on 'mine'. its actually one of the work utes, i get to look after a few of them. they all have 2" lift due to the weak springs. mine was so bad the springs had inverted.
2.5" exhaust with dump pipe, egr and butterfly mod, catch can, otherwise stock.

a good filtering catch can is the best thing you can fit.

exhaust, not sure of total cost. around $600 for cat back with two mufflers (have to keep it quiet for work). dump pipe imported from aussie as no one here makes them.

chips, usually go for $1500-2000 depending on brand. maybe cheaper if brought in yourself. a little wary of the high output ones, especially euro ones. they tend to have better fuel than us. push them hard with a batch of bad fuel can mean holes in pistons Sad would recommend intercooler and exhaust before chipping it.
no idea on intercooler cost as no one here makes kits. theres a couple made in aussie.

of course boost and EGT gauges are a must before doing engine mods.

IP Logged

nzspearo
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 11:06am
Print Post  
199p - I've been looking for something similar for a while. Wanted something a few years old with relatively low kms, and ended up finding this last week:

2007 Navara with 53k on the clock. Already got a canopy, tow bar and racks. Am considering some mods, but will probably drive it for a while and see how it goes.

Tweake - seems like your pretty familiar with these wagons, might PM you to pick your brains.

nzspearo

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Looks like a bloody tidy truck mate. How noisy is that diesel though?  Wink Grin

IP Logged

timmay556
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Pffft  LSD's.

Locker or go home.

IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Pffft  LSD's.

Locker or go home.

LSD has a reasonable advantage on the road, in situations where you can't use a locker. with a locker you spend a lot of time driving like a single spinner.

reminds me, one problem with the navara is lack of front lockers. no air lockers but there is a auto-locker now available. you could change the front diff then you can fit an air locker.

IP Logged

timmay556
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
tweake wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:00pm:
LSD has a reasonable advantage on the road, in situations where you can't use a locker. with a locker you spend a lot of time driving like a single spinner.

reminds me, one problem with the navara is lack of front lockers. no air lockers but there is a auto-locker now available. you could change the front diff then you can fit an air locker.

2 Words.

Air Locker  - Don't go spending 20-25k on a car with out putting the 15 hundy worth of decent mods in it.

Or you can just buy a 20 year old Land Cruiser and get electrical lockers.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
I agree that air lockers are a fantastic piece of kit. However, your average Jo Blogs won't use their truck often enough in a situation where they need a d/locker, and spending 15hundy on something you don't use don't make sense...specially when you can buy a new rifle for that coin!  Wink I've owned a variety of 4wd's with and without lockers and have never really been pushed to the point where I'd be buggered without one. And I use my 4wd's. You tend to push the boundaries a bit with a locker though  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards