Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Poll
Poll Question: Which is the better allrounder
bars   pie

Hilux    
  51 (64.6%)
Navara    
  28 (35.4%)

Total votes: 79
« Created by: 199p on: Aug 9th, 2010 at 9:18pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hilux vs navara (Read 4068 times)
tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Re: Hilux vs navara
Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2010 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
not many mods on 'mine'. its actually one of the work utes, i get to look after a few of them. they all have 2" lift due to the weak springs. mine was so bad the springs had inverted.
2.5" exhaust with dump pipe, egr and butterfly mod, catch can, otherwise stock.

a good filtering catch can is the best thing you can fit.

exhaust, not sure of total cost. around $600 for cat back with two mufflers (have to keep it quiet for work). dump pipe imported from aussie as no one here makes them.

chips, usually go for $1500-2000 depending on brand. maybe cheaper if brought in yourself. a little wary of the high output ones, especially euro ones. they tend to have better fuel than us. push them hard with a batch of bad fuel can mean holes in pistons Sad would recommend intercooler and exhaust before chipping it.
no idea on intercooler cost as no one here makes kits. theres a couple made in aussie.

of course boost and EGT gauges are a must before doing engine mods.

IP Logged

nzspearo
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 11:06am
Print Post  
199p - I've been looking for something similar for a while. Wanted something a few years old with relatively low kms, and ended up finding this last week:

2007 Navara with 53k on the clock. Already got a canopy, tow bar and racks. Am considering some mods, but will probably drive it for a while and see how it goes.

Tweake - seems like your pretty familiar with these wagons, might PM you to pick your brains.

nzspearo

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Looks like a bloody tidy truck mate. How noisy is that diesel though?  Wink Grin

IP Logged

timmay556
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Pffft  LSD's.

Locker or go home.

IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #19 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Pffft  LSD's.

Locker or go home.

LSD has a reasonable advantage on the road, in situations where you can't use a locker. with a locker you spend a lot of time driving like a single spinner.

reminds me, one problem with the navara is lack of front lockers. no air lockers but there is a auto-locker now available. you could change the front diff then you can fit an air locker.

IP Logged

timmay556
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
tweake wrote on Aug 13th, 2010 at 8:00pm:
LSD has a reasonable advantage on the road, in situations where you can't use a locker. with a locker you spend a lot of time driving like a single spinner.

reminds me, one problem with the navara is lack of front lockers. no air lockers but there is a auto-locker now available. you could change the front diff then you can fit an air locker.

2 Words.

Air Locker  - Don't go spending 20-25k on a car with out putting the 15 hundy worth of decent mods in it.

Or you can just buy a 20 year old Land Cruiser and get electrical lockers.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
I agree that air lockers are a fantastic piece of kit. However, your average Jo Blogs won't use their truck often enough in a situation where they need a d/locker, and spending 15hundy on something you don't use don't make sense...specially when you can buy a new rifle for that coin!  Wink I've owned a variety of 4wd's with and without lockers and have never really been pushed to the point where I'd be buggered without one. And I use my 4wd's. You tend to push the boundaries a bit with a locker though  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards