Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic hand winches? (Read 2781 times)
270moss

i have cancelled easter!

hand winches?
Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
are they worth having?
ideally a good bull bar winch would be the go - but a bit rich for me at the moment.
i have nearly been stuck once and would have had a grumpy days walk out Angry
so was woundering about these.
obviously they don't have a heap of cable but one of these and a big strop would eventually get you out trouble ??- better than walking out Embarrassed

i pitty the fool!
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Re: hand winches?
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
depends on which hand winch you mean.

the tirfor style ones, often come with 20m wire. you can make a longer one if you want or attach a strop.
they are just bulky to store in a vehicle and obviously can be tiring to use.

IP Logged

CreepingDeath
Forum Font

A vote for the greens
is a vote for green rain,

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Just get one of them 12 volt electric buggers and use it as you would a hand winch (stroped to your tow hook), so you can use it on the back or the front or for hanging animals up at camp. Get an ok one for around 200 bucks. There not going to pull you up the side of a mountain but theyl get you out of a hole or bog.

Of all the guns Ive loved before,

IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
if its the ones i think you mean, they are only rated for 150-200kg or so. certainly won't pull you out of a hole let alone a bog. you would have to use pulleys just to pull a vehicle on the flat.

most of the electric hand winches are just the usual vehicle mounted electric winch, mounted on a cradle so you can move it around. the electric leads can be an issue with them.

IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Please Learn all about winches and winching, they can be leathel in the wrong hands.

Loads on turning blocks caught a mate out, only pulling about 110kg longline backbone thru a turning block with no more than a 30 degree angle, when the block securing shackle failed it struck him with over 57kgs of energy. Cry remember if the angle increases so does the load, ie  90 deg = nearly 1 and a half  times,  180  degree equals double the load.

also a good rule we used with turnbuckles was twice the size of the wire ie. screws twice the size of the wire
          opening between the jaws twice the size of the wire
         Clevis pin twice the size of the wire.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Mate, I wouldnt waste my time with a electric winch unless its rated for 7500lb plus. If you are stuck to the point of needing a winch, you will need a good one! If not, a bit of spade work/rocks and logs will help you more. A hand winch is OK if its rated, but hard work. Learn how to use them properly, as if you're wallowing around in rain, mud and sleet you don't want to have to be searching through a users manual!

I have a proper winch on my truck, and its saved my arse/legs a few times, BUT the only time I have used it is when I have pushed the boundaries KNOWING that if I get stuck I can winch myself out. If that makes sense  Undecided

Quote:
Please Learn all about winches and winching, they can be leathel in the wrong hands.

+1 Wire ropes under stress + failing shackles etc = damage!

Bit off topic, but another important thing to remember if snatching/towing a vehicle out of a sticky situation, DO NOT use the tow ball as a towing/snatching point. They will snap off and become a lethal projectile. Seen it happen and its scary  Shocked Use a properly designed/rated towing hook/loop.

IP Logged

Striker
Donor Member

Bigger Better Faster Stronger<br
/>

Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
JoshC wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 1:14pm:
Mate, I wouldnt waste my time with a electric winch unless its rated for 7500lb plus. If you are stuck to the point of needing a winch, you will need a good one! If not, a bit of spade work/rocks and logs will help you more. A hand winch is OK if its rated, but hard work. Learn how to use them properly, as if you're wallowing around in rain, mud and sleet you don't want to have to be searching through a users manual!

I have a proper winch on my truck, and its saved my arse/legs a few times, BUT the only time I have used it is when I have pushed the boundaries KNOWING that if I get stuck I can winch myself out. If that makes sense  Undecided

Quote:

+1 Wire ropes under stress + failing shackles etc = damage!

Bit off topic, but another important thing to remember if snatching/towing a vehicle out of a sticky situation, DO NOT use the tow ball as a towing/snatching point. They will snap off and become a lethal projectile. Seen it happen and its scary  Shocked Use a properly designed/rated towing hook/loop.

Amen. dont be like my grand father and say ill only bloodly tow off the tow ball becasue its rated. I just cringe and stand well away

<div style=

IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
towballs are only designed for towing a rolling load not a stuck load.
also towing is one thing (ie with chain) but snatching (rope or strops) is a different story. the stretch enables a much larger force to be put on it.

IP Logged

Striker
Donor Member

Bigger Better Faster Stronger<br
/>

Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Try telling that to a 65 year old. the must know it all. after all they are older Grin

<div style=

IP Logged

sneakyone

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #9 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
get a good tirfor, two mates have the 2500 kg ones and i have the 5000 kg one, they get us out of all kinds of shit. the good thing is you can have it in your ute one day a put it in your mates ute the next if you whant. Wink

IP Logged

270moss

i have cancelled easter!

Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
wow Shocked

thanks for all of the information - this is why i like this forum, being able to learn from others - thankyou
when i almost got stuck it would have been alot of the rest of my day getting out ... but with a winch and a strop i think i would've got out (a greasy grassy slope).
dont get me wrong i am and can admit i'm inexperienced(but learning)and i am slowly improving my gear.
i have just got a LSD diff head for my surf - which i suspect had quite alot to do with me getting wheel spin ( r/r and l/f) rather than drive on the lush grass and from here - maybe i will go back to the slope where it happened once the diff head is in and try again - but with another support vehicle! - sounds like fun anyway Wink
i'll keep an eye open for a winch and google things before purchase  Wink
unless anyone has one for sale or can recommend a good brand - ie: tirfor
also i dont intend to be burried up to the axles in mud - but i suppose unless your doing a 4wd winch challenge nobody does Grin

i pitty the fool!
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
toyota lsd are fairly soft. do an diff oil change, surprising how well that can help (remember to use LSD oil).

if your only doing light 4x4ing (ie paddocks etc) you might want to consider an emergency winch. they are wire strainer type. can't hold bugger all and you can't winch up hill with one. but they are fairly small and have their uses.

don't forget with winches that you still need to pull from something and enough wire/chain/strap to reach it.

IP Logged

270moss

i have cancelled easter!

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
tweake wrote on Jul 16th, 2010 at 9:00pm:
toyota lsd are fairly soft. do an diff oil change, surprising how well that can help (remember to use LSD oil).

if your only doing light 4x4ing (ie paddocks etc) you might want to consider an emergency winch. they are wire strainer type. can't hold bugger all and you can't winch up hill with one. but they are fairly small and have their uses.

don't forget with winches that you still need to pull from something and enough wire/chain/strap to reach it.

cheers tweak , lsd oil shouldn't be a problem Wink (T w/shop foreman)... i have just had the lsd carrier apart and shimmed it up to spec.the clutch packs were as new and just a little shimming required - the ratio was differant but the price was right so i got it off a mate and will use my origonal crown wheel onto the carrier and pop it into my origonal diff housing with new side bearings (pinion is ok).
it is the vehicle that the wife usually drives unless i'm going hunting so i wont be going to overboard with it...but i do need some recovery gear to take with me just incase Wink

i pitty the fool!
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2010 at 10:21am
Print Post  
sweet as. next step, front hubs and a locker for the front diff Cool

IP Logged

Ratbag
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Yeah, bloody handy.

I installed a 12000lb winch in the front of my ute and have never used it (but will be glad when I do).

Prior to that I had a several ton hand winch I kept in the back.
Strangely enough I've got a huge amount of use out of that.

Winching heavy equipment up onto the back of the ute (got some VERY solid well braced rollbars) when I've been by myself.
Winching stuck "light" equipment out of mud/ditches when there was no room to get the ute in there and use the front-bumper winch.

In fact there have been 2 definite times I would have been totally "pack up and go home" screwed without the handwinch.

Both are good purchases, ... the handwinch has turned out to be more versatile than I thought.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards