Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) bivy bags (Read 16968 times)
burger

bivy bags
Jul 13th, 2010 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
looking at getting a bivy bag but cant find ones like the army use. is there other brands out there Wink

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Re: bivy bags
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 7:03pm
Print Post  

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Had a NZ Army bivy bag about 12 yrs ago - bit bulky and was made by Macpac under contract.
Have also a Huntec bivy bag which have used since mid 90's and works well on the tops from spring/summer to autumn. Therm-a-rest mattress fits down the sleeve and can store some gear at the top end.
It's a myth that you will be totally waterproof as condensation usually forms near the foot end but you stay pretty much dry and warm as long as you use a good quality sleeping bag. I have stayed on the tops in the Kaimanawa's and Lewis/Arthurs Pass over the yrs with no real issues.

Good luck.

IP Logged

sidelock
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Hunttec make the best.

IP Logged

burger

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
where do you get the hunt tech  ones in chch

IP Logged

landlock101
Forum Font

Labralux

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I use this crowd off ebay, they are fast and reliable. for under $100 nz you can have a new gortex bivvybag. I have never got condensation in mine even after 36 hours in the bag, they weigh around 700-800 grams and are very strong and roll up to F-all, just need to buy a $5 cram sack for it

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-USMC-MILITARY-GORETEX-BIVY-SLEEPING-BAG-COVER-BIVEY-/390...

IP Logged

smiddy
Forum Font

hunting,  not working

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
have a look on bivouac outdoor,  got my alpine research gortex bivy bag from them for $350 i think,  was on special down from $500

IP Logged

TG
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
smiddy wrote on Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:44pm:
have a look on bivouac outdoor,  got my alpine research gortex bivy bag from them for $350 i think,  was on special down from $500

I just bought the same one (OR alpine bivy) from Bivouac a couple of weeks ago. $319 if the sales still on

IP Logged

tuidog
Forum Senior

Rifle,knife or bow. Whatever
way you know

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the link Landlock I have found my x-mas pressie that my mother in law can send over for me.

Saw one of the us army bags in use a few weeks ago. 3 of us camped near the Okarito swamp in our bivvy bags , me in a non breathble nz army bag,Roaring stag in a fairydown bag and Keiran in a us army bag. Fkn frezing cold night. me and RS had ice form between our sleeping bags and bivvy from thecondensation. we had to dry out bags out the next day in the sun. I was warm as toast RS froze his arse off and Keiran was snoring up a storm within 5 minutes of climbing inside his. no condensation at all inside his bag.

Definetly getting one cheap too at 27usd

Meat is murder..........tasty, tasty murder

IP Logged

Enforcer

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 7:34am
Print Post  
landlock101 wrote on Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:01pm:
I use this crowd off ebay, they are fast and reliable. for under $100 nz you can have a new gortex bivvybag. I have never got condensation in mine even after 36 hours in the bag, they weigh around 700-800 grams and are very strong and roll up to F-all, just need to buy a $5 cram sack for it

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-USMC-MILITARY-GORETEX-BIVY-SLEEPING-BAG-COVER-BIVEY-/390...

bought one just now on your recommendation, hopefully it's as good as you say Smiley Smiley

338 EDGE mmmm

IP Logged

landlock101
Forum Font

Labralux

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Enforcer wrote on Jul 14th, 2010 at 7:34am:
landlock101 wrote on Jul 13th, 2010 at 8:01pm:

bought one just now on your recommendation, hopefully it's as good as you say Smiley Smiley

the shipping is a tad expensive but it still works out to be a bloody cheap bivvy bag, shipping is pretty good to allways get them in about 10 days max

IP Logged

Gordy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
have a look on bivouac outdoor,  got my alpine research gortex bivy bag from them for $350 i think,  was on special down from $500

Whats it like?

IP Logged

MOG

Get out there, hunt it
hard

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,
I have a MONT Bivvi Bag, its pretty good, packs pretty small and it was the right price from my employer.

Earlier this year I utilised it as well as a Hootchie (Fly) to see out two mega storms, former cyclones, that smashed the QLD coast. It was epic in the heat and is just as good in the cold. I have used it in the Kindu Kush and that was lets just say f**king freezing less than toasty.

If you use a fly you can keep the Bivy bag off your face which will limit condensation. this is easy to achieve in the beech forest not so easy on the tops in the tussock...

The US Army bag is GTG I have seen them in action and for that price its a steal.

MOG

IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
bazza87 on here has the US Army ones for sale. Wink

So many CATS , so FEW recipes!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a Stalker..Well she's not EXACTLY my girlfriend, yet!
IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2010 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Quote:

Whats it like?

They are great. They include a hoop that you can use to keep the fabric off your face. I've used mine in all sorts of conditions all over the country and its never failed. The only thing about a bivy bag is that if its raining you often get in damp, and get wet if you get out. I use a very light fly with mine and its a good combo. The fly and the bag weigh under 1kg.

Before:

10 hours later after gail force winds and rain all night (Ruahines, last Jan). Still dry.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards