Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My deer dog is starting to hunt too far out or hunts for himself! (Read 6988 times)
EricS
Ex Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: My deer dog is starting to hunt too far out or hunts for himself!
Reply #15 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Hi Jap
Yes I agree. You are transferrinhg your around town training to a new context with more distractions ie the bush consequently you do need to keep focusing on the training. Get her working well now and you'll have years of fun instead of frustration ahead of you. Your dog will go from strength to strength if you set the foundation stones well!

EricS deer dog trainer

IP Logged

GDT
Banned

Reply #16 - Jun 20th, 2010 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
+1

One of my favorites sayings... "take one shortcut in training and watch the dog take 5 hunting"!

I'm sorry if I offended you when I called you stupid! I honestly thought you already knew!
IP Logged

JAKDanby
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Good morning,

A couple of Questions both either GDT or EricS could hopefully answer....
I am changing my real tight heal command from 'here' to 'tight' in the next few weeks of training. As my old command had a hand signal (one finger point to the ground by my feet) that complemented the verbal should I be changing this hand signal aswel?

I have gone back to basic training with Rusa. one training session a day which lasts 20mins. I am doing one command a session. I may in the last few minutes put a couple of cammands together eg pssst for freeze and a few sits in the mix.

As my residence is in next to farm land the dog sometimes picks up a game scent. What I sometimes do is implement this into my training. When he picks up the scent I will follow his nose rather than walk randomly. I will keep him nice and tight by my side and still sit him down or get him to pause. It shows the dog that I am interested in what he is smelling.
Good idea or not?

Anyway, with a full week of basic training Rusa came on leaps and bounds come our Saterday morning hunt in the native bush. I took the gun with no expectations of shooting a deer/pig.
I took it nice and slow and rusa most of the time was keeping in nice and tight and obeying commands, a pleasure to hunt with.
What a difference a week of solid training can do......
For the last 10mins I let him have a runround which I could see he clearly enjoyed after all the concentration etc of the hunt....

cheers

A particular virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience...- Aldo Leopold

IP Logged

EricS
Ex Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2010 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Hi Jack Danby Reply no 17
Yes change the hand signal too because it also now means stay in close if you feel like it or ignore me entirely! Grin

If you've now got Rusa staying in nicely don't rush introducing distractions. Consolidate the gains.

However having said that when Rusa is consistently staying in tight while she leads you to various game then all is good. If it's something you don't want her to ever be hunting I'd say something like "no bloody hedgehogs" and walk away with the dog under heel command still.

If it is something you want your dog to find I'd say "good Rusa Stay Sit good dog" repeat this for a while then walk up with Rusa heeling still and a rope now on her neck. " sit stay good dog" and repeat until it is flushed. "Stay good dog Rusa Stay"  Pat pat. Don't let her chase!

Keep her sitting and steady for a few minutes after the hare or whatever has departed. Her reward is the praise she gets on finding the animal not the chasing!!!!!

I used to stalk and shoot rabbits with my dogs in exactly the same manner I did with deer. It was great training,  a form of simulated deer hunting. I did it when I had basic control of my pup; never before. I did it after the simulated hunting using a deer skin (mentioned in an earlier post)

Some people express surprise at that and say you shouldn't hunt rabbits with a deer dog but I disagree. Once the dog is steady and under control the rabbit shooting reinforces all you want the dog to do on the deer. This occurs in an environment where its easier to control the dog and where there are many chances to refine the dog's behaviour without feeling like it is a high stakes situation where you might be tempted to put up with a little stretching of the rules just to get the deer. The .22 is also quieter. The learning the pup does is directly transferable to the deer stalking in the bush.

Later on when your dog does indicate a hare or rabbit while out deer hunting I just say, " No bloody rabbits. Where's a deer" and  pay the hare little heed.

A real stubborn instinct driven dog with a high prey chase drive might need more of a growl or you might decide to not ever hunt small game with it! Its up to you to decide that one. Depends on you and your dog.

See my latest post "Should a deer dog only hunt deer?

EricS deer dog trainer

IP Logged

leif
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #19 - Jul 3rd, 2010 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
great reading

IP Logged

snowboyd
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #20 - Aug 29th, 2020 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
In addition to others comments using a Electric Collar.  Using a vibrate as a reminder in final stages of stalk and if the dog breaks a shock.

Quiet commands as well as hand signals work.  Dont think or worry you will scare deer of if you make a low "ssis"  when in close.  With my dog a "ssis" slows hers down and keeps my dog in close, usually she will glance at me looking for a hand signal.   I trained my dog to sit when I raise rifle.  She does that 50 % of the time in the bush.

Then bringing in to downed animal under obedience.  Then a release and praise.  Then the deers tongue ASAP as another reward.

Bush Stalking, Deer Indicating Dog
Red, Sika
308, 3030

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards