Fishnhunt New Zealand hunting and Fishing Forum Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

| Forum 1995-2002 | Forum 2002-2006 | To Fishnhunt Mainpage |
  Home Donate Advertise HelpSearchLoginRegister Historic Photos  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Henaki set 2 night (Read 1243 times)
rodney mcsuperchrist

it was like that when
I got here

christchurch
Re: Henaki set 2 night
Reply #20 - May 19th, 2010 at 7:45pm

might not be relevant to the thread, but when I was a younger fella we used to bait them up and spear them. Tried once with a chicken mesh trap, caught a good one in about half an hour during the day. We poured some milk in the river just upstream of the trap, or where we were spearing. They used to come right out to where the milk had been poured in. Did the same in the river at Boys high one lunch time, they love milk for some reason. Fresh milk was used.

IP Logged

Dublin
Forum Senior

New Zealand
Reply #21 - May 23rd, 2010 at 3:09pm

Salmoner wrote on May 19th, 2010 at 4:09pm:
Hi Aunty,

Yip found the thread, thanks. I will buy the same one that you have. Just got to get a smoker now. Mouth is watering LOL Grin

As far as de sliming them someone told me to stick them in a sack with a bit of washing soda ? anyone else do this or any other ways ?

I got my smoker from the warehouse on special. Is the smaller of the two they stock. Cost me 40 bills on special. Works great and plenty of room! I think theres a special on now at the moment?? 30% off all fishing gear...

IP Logged

Dublin
Forum Senior

New Zealand
Reply #22 - May 23rd, 2010 at 3:16pm

I've pretty much thrashed all the local streams so will give the local river a whirl now...cheers HH

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Darfield
Reply #23 - May 23rd, 2010 at 3:56pm

Hi Dublin,

I have a small portable smoker that came off the ark it is that old. Grin
I am wanting to make a cold smoke i had one in the past but it blew up.  Shocked Shocked; Grin. I had a small gas cooker that was being used to smoulder the shavings and it got a bit warmish and kaboom. Have been looking on trade me for the old stand type clothes dryer.

Got the hinaki set [this morning]  in the stock water race with 3 small chickens in it as bait. If i dont catch an eel tonight i will take the chickens for a swim in the Waimak.

IP Logged

Dublin
Forum Senior

New Zealand
Reply #24 - May 23rd, 2010 at 4:53pm

Salmoner wrote on May 23rd, 2010 at 3:56pm:
Hi Dublin,

I have a small portable smoker that came off the ark it is that old. Grin
I am wanting to make a cold smoke i had one in the past but it blew up.  Shocked Shocked; Grin. I had a small gas cooker that was being used to smoulder the shavings and it got a bit warmish and kaboom. Have been looking on trade me for the old stand type clothes dryer.

Got the hinaki set [this morning]  in the stock water race with 3 small chickens in it as bait. If i dont catch an eel tonight i will take the chickens for a swim in the Waimak.

Lovely!!! Now thats the story!  Cool

First time i used mine i nearly burnt the house down!  Embarrassed  I was all lined up to use meths and someone advised me that they were adament i should be using kerosene. Against my better judgement.... Lips Sealed

Wife was watching too...having a good ole giggle  Tongue

IP Logged

Benelli boy
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Canterbury
Reply #25 - May 23rd, 2010 at 8:35pm

To de-slime I just roll 'em round on a dry shingle road. Split and rub in lots of salt then hang in the wind for about 4 hours. Hot or cold smoke, easy eh!

To be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid!

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Darfield
Reply #26 - May 29th, 2010 at 10:24am

Had the net set in the stock water race for 4 or 5 days and caught a trout and a couple of cockabullys. Have not been to Waimak yet due to river conditions but am on the way in a few min to give the chickens a swim in there.

Question. Should i be using the same chickens as bait or should i get some new fresh ones ? I have a suspicion these chickens are not trying hard enough  Grin

IP Logged

Kauri
Ex Member

Reply #27 - May 29th, 2010 at 11:32am

dont use free-range ones, use the battery ones they used to tight spaces and will perform best.

IP Logged

jase265

southland
Reply #28 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 12:55pm

the best an most easy way to de slime eels  is to boil the jug get the butchers knife out pour the water over the eel an scrap the slime , turn over an repeat , simple, di it on a chopping board or grass, the slime turns white , when the boiled water is added, so making it easy to see the slime. Cool

IP Logged

hokonui

invercargill
Reply #29 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 2:53pm

The best way to deslime I have found is Washing soda crystals unscented of course, put live  eels in a big bucket with lid, or a sack will do  ,for about doz medium eels 1 cup should do it . eels will thrash about so make sure lid is on bucket ,half our later eels can be washed and are clean as and dead, then carry on with your gutting ect
As for net placement I find backwaters off main rivers with a bit of current flowing are good .
If eels come from muddy  creeks or rivers try to clean them out  by keeping them alive in clean water if possible for few days gets id of the mud taste,
I have used big plastic barrel with tap water flowing in and hose flow out.but be warned they are escape artists so make it secure

IP Logged

MADMAX
Forum Senior

Its not the size but where
you put it that counts!

Kapiti Coast
Reply #30 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 3:41pm

I use washing powder too.guy down the road uses saw dust or salt.Thought salt might suck to much moisture out.I'll stick with the washing powder works a treat. Smiley

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Darfield
Reply #31 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 5:40pm

Thanks for all this good advice on desliming them and i still have not caught one blimmin eel. Have not been that keen leaving it in the Waimak as the river level has been going from big to bigger with all the wet weather.

Bloke that i was talking to reckons that the month to catch eels has to have an "R" in.... so sept through to april inclusive ... Anyones thoughts ?

IP Logged

hokonui

invercargill
Reply #32 - Jun 13th, 2010 at 6:45pm

Yep months that END in an R
Not ones that have an R in them. seems a bout right ,Eels are bit more sluggish in the colder months ,

IP Logged

Carew
Donor Member

Neigh

Carew (Mayfield,Ashburton)
Reply #33 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 3:49pm

So if I have lines out?? What sorta bait etc should I be using and where to put them!?

Laing - Entertaining the masses since way back.

IP Logged

willowgrub
Forum Font

if you dont fish or hunt
i dont wanna know

Ohoka-Christchurch
Reply #34 - Jul 4th, 2010 at 4:05pm

I've Heardthe theory about the r before and I too reckon its true Wink Wink

Ruger m77 hawkeye 308.

IP Logged

jawmalawm28
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 3:13pm

Hi everyone I'm new here but saw this topic about setting Hinaki so thought I'd try to contribute. Anyway the Hinaki I use is actually a Eel fyke and I've found that it works really good. I've had it for just over a year now and I catch at least 10+ Eels everytime I set it.

I just set it last night and thou I only kept 1 Eel I caught 12 last night but most of them were a bit small so I just brought 1 of them home and threw the rest back.

I've tried cat & dog food, kidneys, livers, all sorts and caught a few but just before Christmas one of the boys told me to use Paua Hua and he was right it's the best bait I've ever used and I'm not exagerating but 2 days before Christmas we caught 64 Eels and a trout. I couldn't believe it when we pulled it out of the water but out of those we kept 12 good ones and there's always countless cocabillys caught up in there too.

I just reset it again for tonight so we'll se what we get in the morning hopefully the river doesn't get too flooding but I'm sure it won't take my Hinaki away.

IP Logged

Jimmy_
Forum Senior

Kaukapakapa
Reply #36 - Sep 2nd, 2010 at 3:20pm

Rambo and i set my hinaki last night out the back of his place.  8 in there this morning. out of which we took the largest 4 for a feed.
rotten yoghurt and venison was the bait.

wicked to see a plan come together  Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print