Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Calling all Suzuki Vitara / Escudo owners, help!!! (Read 2175 times)
Alex B

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Calling all Suzuki Vitara / Escudo owners, help!!!
Apr 22nd, 2010 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Hi guys,
I have a 92 Suzuki Escudo, short wheel base, 1600, 16v, G16A motor I think.
It has developed an intermittent problem when starting, basically it wont start, turns over fine, and there is no spark from the coil, I have replaced the coil and igniter and the problem persists.
It only does it sometimes, hot or cold and seems completely random, Have taken it to an auto sparky who couldn't get it to fault, so what next?
Everything functions as it should, no warning lights etc, have just changed the plugs, oil and filter change, injector cleaner etc.  When it runs it runs mint.

Any of you guys experienced anything similar? Faulty ECU maybe?

Please help, Im just about at the end of my tether with this one. Angry

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Re: Calling all Suzuki Vitara / Escudo owners, help!!!
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
Make sure all fuses and holders are clean.
Make sure the battery has good clean terminals.
Basic stuff.
Other than that possibly could have a wiring fault. Makes it very hard to trace.
You could also check the ECU plugs to make sure there is no crap in them or corrosion from water etc.
Possibly a ignition switch fault as well.
Does it have an alarm? If so possibly that is causing a fault.
Hope this helps.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2010 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Ignition switch fault is resonably common in all cars....if it fails to fire turn the key slowly until it turns over....Sometimes the key sytem gets flogged and the key goes to far....still connecting with the starter contact but goes past the ignition contact....

IP Logged

Alex B

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Thanks heaps guys,
Yeah have checked all the plugs and fuses etc, but at the moment cant get it to do its no start / no spark fault. Huh
But its bound to happen again and Ill try what you suggest Leathel.
No alarm Cambo, but my last vehicle did and your right, sometimes these can be more hassle than they are worth.

Thanks again and Ill keep you all posted,  Smiley

IP Logged

kaweka_killer
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Think we had every other bloody problem with out one but this.

Pack, Dog and Rifle

IP Logged

Alex B

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Well its not starting again, still no spark and the key thing didn't work, so hopefully it still wont start on Mon when the auto sparky is open and they can fix the bloody thing.

Cheers guys, Smiley

IP Logged

Alex B

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 8:52am
Print Post  
Well I just received a PM asking me to update the post when I find what the problem is exactly, Just happened to break down the other day and an auto sparky was behind me, he kindly towed me to his workshop just round the corner and had a quick look.
He said either the igniter or the crank angle sensor, as I had already replaced the igniter he was pretty sure it was the crank angle sensor.  I left it there for monday morn, they called me yesterday to say they cant get it to fault and needed to keep hold of it to ensure they get it to fault and fix the problem.
SO hopefully I get a call today saying its fixed, will keep you all informed as I see some of you guys are pretty keen to see what the outcome is for future reference.

Cheers,
Wink

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Alex B wrote on Apr 22nd, 2010 at 12:26pm:
Hi guys,
I have a 92 Suzuki Escudo, short wheel base, 1600, 16v, G16A motor I think.
It has developed an intermittent problem when starting, basically it wont start, turns over fine, and there is no spark from the coil, I have replaced the coil and igniter and the problem persists.
It only does it sometimes, hot or cold and seems completely random, Have taken it to an auto sparky who couldn't get it to fault, so what next?
Everything functions as it should, no warning lights etc, have just changed the plugs, oil and filter change, injector cleaner etc.  When it runs it runs mint.

Any of you guys experienced anything similar? Faulty ECU maybe?

Please help, Im just about at the end of my tether with this one. Angry  

hi alex
i had a similar problem with my escudo it wouldn't start when hot  and would only start again once the motor had cooled, this was back in 2003 so im a bit vague as to what was actually done to fix the problem,but i think the entire distributor was replaced , sorry i can't be more helpful,

IP Logged

Alex B

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Hi guys, Yes Pope I think your bang on with this one.  Got a ph call last night to say that there was a problem with the distributor, they have ordered the part and hope to have it sorted this morn so I can pick it up today.  $480 bucks later I might add.

So will pick their brains when I pick it up and try get a detailed explanation of exactly what was wrong so if any of you DIY blokes have the same problem in the future you can save yourselves the $$$$.

Cheers, Smiley

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Alex B wrote on Apr 28th, 2010 at 9:02am:
Hi guys, Yes Pope I think your bang on with this one.  Got a ph call last night to say that there was a problem with the distributor, they have ordered the part and hope to have it sorted this morn so I can pick it up today.  $480 bucks later I might add.

So will pick their brains when I pick it up and try get a detailed explanation of exactly what was wrong so if any of you DIY blokes have the same problem in the future you can save yourselves the $$$$.

good to see you have it sorted i seem to remember that it cost me around the $400 mark also wonder if this is a common problem with them

Cheers, Smiley

IP Logged

Alex B

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Yep dodgy cam angle sensor inside the distributor, unfortunately the entire distributor needs to be replaced, they have a crank angle sensor on the block somewhere also that can cause similar problems.

As for a common problem, Im not sure, quite possibly.

I now have a spare coil and igniter sitting round if anyone needs one? owes me $80.

Hope this helps some of you other suzuki owners in the future.

Cheers
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards