Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) What 4WD commuter? (Read 7015 times)
MeatHunta
Donor Member

Re: What 4WD commuter?
Reply #30 - Apr 24th, 2010 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Nor-West wrote on Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:43pm:
"Thankyou" just the kind of thing I've been thinking of, actually I think Alfie or Meat Hunter has one and bought it on the first Old Farts Tahr Hunt......... must check the photos, just showed a couple on Trade me to the Wife who gave the thumbs up, thanks fulla's Smiley

Yep, mine's a 2.6 petrol, Alfie's is a 2.5 diesel. I believe Leathel has a diesel too - ask him about it, he's in the right job to have all the answers.

You can't get a whole lot of off the shelf parts to make them go further off road (mine has a diff lock in the front and you can get rear lockers for newer models). You might not want to do that now, but you will once you have been stuck a few times.

They are not heavily built, but mine has had a hammering off-road and refuses to die. Diesel is better off road, but the intercoolers in the 2.5 are badly positioned and have a habit of interacting badly with the landscape. The new 3 litre motor (BT50/Ranger) is very torquey - a delight to drive.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Plus 1 on the Mazda / Ford.  Every vehicle is a compromise, that's why I am fortunate enough to own more than one. I kept my old B2600 petrol mazda 4x4 much longer than I  should have (12 years) because it was so reliable and did everything I asked of it, well , almost everything. ( I  am just remembering going down a steep, slippery track-- backwards, twice as fast as i went up it  Shocked )  I  am taking delivery of my 2nd BT50 next month, happy as , with the one I have had for the last 2 1/2 years, as a previous post said , the 3litre diesel turbo is a really great powerplant,  that's why I'm replacing it with the same model.  As an aside, did you get your "funcar" sorted ? mine is a "thinkingmans motorcycle" Toyota MRS  soft top, lots of fun to drive,and economical with the rearmounted 1600cc motor (poorman's Ferrari  Roll Eyes ) You should be able to pick up a good one on trademe for 10-12k. Just a thought.

IP Logged

Nor-West
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #32 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As an aside, did you get your "funcar" sorted ? mine is a "thinkingmans motorcycle" Toyota MRS  soft top, lots of fun to drive,and economical with the rearmounted 1600cc motor (poorman's Ferrari   ) You should be able to pick up a good one on trademe for 10-12k. Just a thought.

Yep got a 97 vr ltd mx5 with 65k's last of the pop up headlight models, was a good mates so know the history.

There are some Mitsi tritons on Trademe for 29K + GST 2009 models not sure why they are so cheap

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/Triton/auction-24708989...

Otherwise  the BT 50 I'm thinking Undecided

Still out here in the wind and rain, look a little older but I feel no pain...

Warren Zevon

IP Logged

Mohoua
Forum Font

An inordinate fondness
for beetles

Reply #33 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
When I did my 4x4 course late last year, the guy that ran it did all the testing on the new utes for consultant work advising government agentcies which to buy.
This is all based on 2009-2010 models.
He said the triton was the best off road (he personally owned one of them) and the BT-50 & Ranger (lets face it same bloody thing) was the best on road.
The deciding factors however where between service intervals - some are 15,000 now and even though the hilux was the most expensive it was the cheapest buying "bulk" so on price most went this direction. he said the hilux really failed on all accounts was terrible off road with way to high a gearing and not very good on road. Bt-50 & Ford ranger was very good on road, to high geared off.  Triton good off road with diff locks, not bad on road. Might help you make your decision. The holden colorado was intermediate on both on and off road - I actually quite like the colorado, triton and the ranger/bt50, found them to be quite good to drive. The Hilux is horrible to drive, feels like a turtle with a shell that far to big (feels like your driving a mini under an 18 wheeler body) and just doesn't drive well on the road at all.
Personally when choosing a vehicle for work I always choose based on on road qualities, the off road ability of modern 4x4 ute ranges from crap to a little less crap (with terrible entry, exit and rampover angles and suspension), you'll spend 99.9% of your time on road and it makes little sense picking a vehicle based on the 0.01% that another ute may do a little less poorly. Personally i would go Ranger because for some reason the BT-50 feels uncomfortable when I'm in the drivers seat. But would happily take a triton or colorado (although there may be a few reliability issues with the holden popping up) but hate the thought of having to drive a hilux for any length of time.

IP Logged

4DogDay

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #34 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
It would be nice if toyota went full circle and put out a range of back to basics solid front axle, wind your own windows down bitch, bench seat no frills trucks, single/double cab flatdeck... with the option of lockers and snorkel (like the cruiser)

Wishfull thinking I suppose  Embarrassed

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Agree.
Its a crying shame the latest toyota hiluxes have lost the plot, and Ive read a few articles that rate the latest Triton as a better 4wd commercial vehicle.

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #36 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I did around 10,000 km over x-mas in my courier...not bad rig all up but with the snorkel and grunty tyres its not as road freindly...tyres were great traction wise but feel the bumps more....and the snorkel is not quiet Lips Sealed The 2.5's do need gearbox rebuilds @ around 200K

The later 3ltr diesels have heaps more grunt (courier/ranger) but the 2.5's go well just not as much tourque in the low revs so you allmost drive them like a petrol..

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1270819851/0#0

Surfs are a lotery as they have so many different models and some are not that flash

the comercial/ quary utes we do the toyata's last better but the new ones I am not so sure about....the nissans that have been flogged don't do so well......

IP Logged

Dobie
Forum Senior

Reply #37 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
The_Jester wrote on Apr 15th, 2010 at 7:34pm:
Get a Hilux Surf, theyre way cheaper thun the utes and if you dont need a tray just as good. Could get one easy for 10k

My Hilux surf does great off road and very comfortable on road. Im not overly savy on vehicles etc... but was told when i was getting mine not to get any surfs prior to 97...infact something along the lines of not touching them with a barge poll.

Mines a 97 3l inter-cooled turbo diesel, has more than enough grunt for me. Also much quieter than your usual diesel engine.

IP Logged

Alpshunta
Forum Senior

Reply #38 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Toyota Landcruiser Prado Swb???

IP Logged

sika seeker
Forum Senior

Reply #39 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Mohoua wrote on Apr 25th, 2010 at 12:46pm:
When I did my 4x4 course late last year, the guy that ran it did all the testing on the new utes for consultant work advising government agentcies which to buy.
He said the triton was the best off road (he personally owned one of them) and the BT-50 & Ranger (lets face it same bloody thing) was the best on road.
The deciding factors however where between service intervals - some are 15,000 now and even though the hilux was the most expensive it was the cheapest buying "bulk" so on price most went this direction. he said the hilux really failed on all accounts was terrible off road with way to high a gearing and not very good on road. Bt-50 & Ford ranger was very good on road, to high geared off.  Triton good off road with diff locks, not bad on road. Might help you make your decision. The holden colorado was intermediate on both on and off road - I actually quite like the colorado, triton and the ranger/bt50, found them to be quite good to drive. The Hilux is horrible to drive, feels like a turtle with a shell that far to big (feels like your driving a mini under an 18 wheeler body) and just doesn't drive well on the road at all.
Personally when choosing a vehicle for work I always choose based on on road qualities, the off road ability of modern 4x4 ute ranges from crap to a little less crap (with terrible entry, exit and rampover angles and suspension), you'll spend 99.9% of your time on road and it makes little sense picking a vehicle based on the 0.01% that another ute may do a little less poorly. Personally i would go Ranger because for some reason the BT-50 feels uncomfortable when I'm in the drivers seat. But would happily take a triton or colorado (although there may be a few reliability issues with the holden popping up) but hate the thought of having to drive a hilux for any length of time.

Very interesting and informative post,but no mention of navara.

IP Logged

Mohoua
Forum Font

An inordinate fondness
for beetles

Reply #40 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I realised that after I Posted, I haven't heard much about them to be honest so can't comment as I've never driven one.

IP Logged

7mil08
Forum Font

Don't Go Pig Hunting In
Deer Country

Reply #41 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
sika seeker wrote on Apr 29th, 2010 at 6:12am:
Mohoua wrote on Apr 25th, 2010 at 12:46pm:

Very interesting and informative post,but no mention of navara.

Navara's are shit the end. Got one as a work truck. It's spent more time at the agents for warranty claims than used for work.

IP Logged

Angus

Reply #42 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Dobie wrote on Apr 26th, 2010 at 2:49pm:
The_Jester wrote on Apr 15th, 2010 at 7:34pm:
Get a Hilux Surf, theyre way cheaper thun the utes and if you dont need a tray just as good. Could get one easy for 10k

My Hilux surf does great off road and very comfortable on road. Im not overly savy on vehicles etc... but was told when i was getting mine not to get any surfs prior to 97...infact something along the lines of not touching them with a barge poll.

Mines a 97 3l inter-cooled turbo diesel, has more than enough grunt for me. Also much quieter than your usual diesel engine.

+1 i see surfs as town vehicles with (great) offroad capability. Service it and it will be your best friend  Wink

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #43 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I've put 105,000 on mine since I bought it. Now sitting at 210,000. Great vehicle. Sleep in the back on trips. Loads of torque and reliable.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards