Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) What 4WD commuter? (Read 7017 times)
Striker
Donor Member

Bigger Better Faster Stronger<br
/>

Re: What 4WD commuter?
Reply #15 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Nor-West wrote on Apr 17th, 2010 at 7:10pm:
How about the Landrover Discovery 2.5 diesel? some low k ones look good value. Undecided

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

can be expensive to fix. more so than there asian counterparts

<div style=

IP Logged

4DogDay

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Nor-West wrote on Apr 17th, 2010 at 7:10pm:
How about the Landrover Discovery 2.5 diesel? some low k ones look good value. Undecided

Hard out off road but with all the bells an whistles if anything goes wrong with it it's going to be expensive

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #17 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Get a nissen patrol or landcrusier, go any where,good on road ,off road ,no repair bills,plenty of room.Dont get a surf, prada,landrover,range rover,hilux,vitara,mitsubitchi,end of story. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Nor-West
Forum Font

Reply #18 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
We have over a thousand 4wd's here on site,  plus however many are up the mines, another thousand at least, 80% are Toyota, 20% are Nissan or other, suppose that tells a tale in itself.

Still out here in the wind and rain, look a little older but I feel no pain...

Warren Zevon

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #19 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I have a 97 surf 3L intercooled 210,000km's

If you want a surf I'd advise:

- pressure test head.
- check cam belts change - do it if unsure.
- Check water pump at the same time, old coolant will allow cavitation and poor performing pumps cause overheating.
- Around about 170,000 poor head batches start to show up. Mine was ok but heard lots of stories about eating oil and water.
- Change std Toyota thermostat at the same time for new one. Old ones can stick and go from med to HOT instantly when you're towing a boat or working it hard.
- Change coolant and flush entire system incl radiator once a year. Radiators silt up and overheating again Undecided
- Hose down front of radiator when engine cold if washing the truck - stops dust building up on outside.
- oil changes 5-7500kms depending on where you drive. Do both filter and oil same time.
- Use Bendix front pads, check front disks for lips and get them machined with first set of new pads to bed everything in.
- Once a year do a gearbox flush - use oil changers as it's pretty good method and cost effective.
- Air filter at end of every season is enough unless you're running a lot of gravel roads.

- Engine off, check steering rack. Get someone to twist the wheel and look for rack play. If it's there replace the bushes with nolothane ones. More direct feedback but longer wearing.
- replace front and rear suspension bushes and tie arms with nolothane.
- Surfs suffer from rear suspension sagging. I fitted heavy duty Cobra springs.
- At Front brakes service check 4wd engagement motors. Grease if necessary.

Hmm. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

The_Jester

Reply #20 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Actually if your after something with better road handling a Mazda Bounty or Ford Courier (same car). Ride is pretty hard due to stiff spings but they handle well onroad and can carry quite a bit in the tray. Alot cheaper  thun Hiluxs but aparently not quite as good offroad (in my experence both can take some pretty scary country on).  Huh Could probably get quite a recent model one for 20k

IP Logged

Nor-West
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
"Thankyou" just the kind of thing I've been thinking of, actually I think Alfie or Meat Hunter has one and bought it on the first Old Farts Tahr Hunt......... must check the photos, just showed a couple on Trade me to the Wife who gave the thumbs up, thanks fulla's Smiley

Warren Zevon

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #22 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Nor-West wrote on Apr 18th, 2010 at 5:52pm:
We have over a thousand 4wd's here on site,  plus however many are up the mines, another thousand at least, 80% are Toyota, 20% are Nissan or other, suppose that tells a tale in itself.

80% cant handle a nissen,most nissen owners hang on to their nissen for many years so not many come up for sale,so when one comes up for sale theres such a rush to buy it, a lot of people miss out on buying a nissen so they got to wait a few more years till the next one come up for sale.  Wink

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #23 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
scottrods wrote on Apr 18th, 2010 at 6:16pm:
I have a 97 surf 3L intercooled 210,000km's

If you want a surf I'd advise:

- pressure test head.
- check cam belts change - do it if unsure.
- Check water pump at the same time, old coolant will allow cavitation and poor performing pumps cause overheating.
- Around about 170,000 poor head batches start to show up. Mine was ok but heard lots of stories about eating oil and water.
- Change std Toyota thermostat at the same time for new one. Old ones can stick and go from med to HOT instantly when you're towing a boat or working it hard.
- Change coolant and flush entire system incl radiator once a year. Radiators silt up and overheating again Undecided
- Hose down front of radiator when engine cold if washing the truck - stops dust building up on outside.
- oil changes 5-7500kms depending on where you drive. Do both filter and oil same time.
- Use Bendix front pads, check front disks for lips and get them machined with first set of new pads to bed everything in.
- Once a year do a gearbox flush - use oil changers as it's pretty good method and cost effective.
- Air filter at end of every season is enough unless you're running a lot of gravel roads.

- Engine off, check steering rack. Get someone to twist the wheel and look for rack play. If it's there replace the bushes with nolothane ones. More direct feedback but longer wearing.
- replace front and rear suspension bushes and tie arms with nolothane.
- Surfs suffer from rear suspension sagging. I fitted heavy duty Cobra springs.
- At Front brakes service check 4wd engagement motors. Grease if necessary.

Hmm. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Surf  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Tussock
Ex Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #24 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Trout wrote on Apr 19th, 2010 at 9:50pm:
Nor-West wrote on Apr 18th, 2010 at 5:52pm:
We have over a thousand 4wd's here on site,  plus however many are up the mines, another thousand at least, 80% are Toyota, 20% are Nissan or other, suppose that tells a tale in itself.

80% cant handle a nissen,most nissen owners hang on to their nissen for many years so not many come up for sale,so when one comes up for sale theres such a rush to buy it, a lot of people miss out on buying a nissen so they got to wait a few more years till the next one come up for sale.  Wink

Got to drive both regularly in Aussie. I would sulk if they sent me a Patrol. Not in the same league as the Landcruisers, not even close.

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #25 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Leaves the Landy at the start of the Canning stock route.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #26 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Patrols and 308s for ever. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Striker
Donor Member

Bigger Better Faster Stronger<br
/>

Reply #27 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Trout wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 8:05pm:
Patrols for ever. Grin Grin Grin

Amen to that Grin Grin Grin

<div style=

IP Logged

Nor-West
Forum Font

Reply #28 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
Been looking at the Bounty and then the BT-50 with the 3litre turbo diesel, is there a lot between them? probably 15k money wise would it be worth the extra dosh Undecided

Jeff

Warren Zevon

IP Logged

The_Jester

Reply #29 - Apr 23rd, 2010 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I think that depends how much space you think you need, dont think the bounty is underpowered tho. Just the BT-50 gives more space. All i can really say is go and physically look at them both / drive them. You'll soon decide whether you need it.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards