Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) What 4WD commuter? (Read 7018 times)
Nor-West
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

What 4WD commuter?
Apr 13th, 2010 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Returning to N.Z. in a couple of months, and we are budgeting about 30k for 2 vehicles, one will be our weekend away fun car convertible of some sort, both to old for a bike now Cry

Anyhow I want a 40k a day commuter that I can take up somewhere like the Mc Cauley or similar without any problems but still cheap to run and insure, I was thinking of something along the lines of a Suzuki grand vitara and get a spare set of rims with some good off road tyres just for that kind of work, they seem to get good off road reviews.

Would I need an  air intake extension and what about exhaust systems do they need an extension for crossing rivers? as you can see its all been shanks pony before for me.

Any other suggestion greatly accepted.

Cheers

Still out here in the wind and rain, look a little older but I feel no pain...

Warren Zevon

IP Logged

Delerium
Ex Member

Re: What 4WD commuter?
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Navara/hilux are the top two for reliability and offroad ability. The hold their value though.

IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
I like the Isuzu wizard I drive on the road. If I was more into the off road thing I'd get a MU.

So many CATS , so FEW recipes!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a Stalker..Well she's not EXACTLY my girlfriend, yet!
IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Mu - don't laurf. Pretty unreliable.

Hilux's available for Sub 15k but high mileage. Better with the suzi.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

The_Jester

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2010 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Get a Hilux Surf, theyre way cheaper thun the utes and if you dont need a tray just as good. Could get one easy for 10k

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 11:17am
Print Post  
A surf, prado or pajero would be my pick of the bunch. You want something relatively comfortable as well, and as late model as you can. Its amazing what you'll find for sale if you have a good look around the country.

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Hi Norwest
We have just done something very similar, moved back to NZ and bought a hilux for tahr/deer hunting.
The Mcaulay is a river that can rise quickly and personally I wouldnt be comfortable driving a wee Suzuki in to the hut for a few days if I was by myself in case I couldnt get out.
Not a big fan of the Pajero off road either having seen a few broken down in outback Australia - sorry JoshC Wink. Agree about the Surf/Prado thing tho and would add in SWB landcruiser as a good option depending on kids or not.
We spent 25 k on a lowish mileage 2002 double cab hilux from a dealer, but cruising trademe should show you what is around.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Hmmm I dont think I'd feel comfortable crossing big rivers in a little suzi either...things could get interesting.

Just speaking from personal experience ethos, we've owned 11 pajeros in the past, only one ever broke down...cracked head at 360,000kms, regular maintenance is the key, all sold with over 250,000kms (apart from one which was written off in the sea  Roll Eyes). Can't beat their on-road handling either. An underated truck IMO.

Definately +1 on the SWB landcruiser = cool trucks

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Thats great going with the Pajeros - I guess I got a distorted impression and I have to admit to not owning one Wink.
Yeah I loved my little SWB landcruiser,brilliant reliable 4wd, got told I wasnt allowed another one because we couldnt easily get to the carseat with only 2 doors  Angry

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Thats great going with the Pajeros - I guess I got a distorted impression and I have to admit to not owning one Wink.
Yeah I loved my little SWB landcruiser,brilliant reliable 4wd, got told I wasnt allowed another one because we couldnt easily get to the carseat with only 2 doors  Angry

Yeah I reckon they're awesome. I was looking for one for a while, but couldnt find a decent one at the time....they'd all had hard lives I think  Wink. Haha, too bad...a guy I work with was in the same boat...had bubs, wife wanted the truck gone,but he couldnt part with it so kept it for a hunting wagon and bought a surf to keep her happy!  Grin

IP Logged

Distant Stalker
Forum Font

Finem Respice

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
I would suggest a surf but I have recently for the second time broken the clamp that holds teh rear sway bar in place. ..you could always just take the sway bar off though Wink Grin

IP Logged

the claw
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 11:46am
Print Post  
+1 on the surf. I have an intercooled turbo one. Nice road vehicle and plenty capable off road. I recently upgraded the shocks/struts and springs to Old Man Emu/ARB. Transformed the truck, no more blowing through suspension travel with a load on and a 50mm lift as a bonus. It is a bit stiffer (jiggly) but I would highly recommend it.

IP Logged

Nor-West
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Ok sorted out the fun car so have around 20k to spend on a 4WD, will troll thru Trademe and see whats about, so maybe something like a 2.5L turbo deisel with a transfer case, still want a vehicle with good road manners and off road capability as oppossed to hard arsed off road truck.

Warren Zevon

IP Logged

ethos
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Just be wary of the old 2.4 L turbo diesel Toyota head crackers. Wink

IP Logged

Nor-West
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Apr 17th, 2010 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
How about the Landrover Discovery 2.5 diesel? some low k ones look good value. Undecided

Warren Zevon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards