Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Sighting in your .22lr (Read 46435 times)
Maverick2
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Sighting in your .22lr
Reply #30 - Apr 23rd, 2020 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
This is great info - thanks. I'm new to this so I've got a couple of options to try. Smiley

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #31 - Apr 24th, 2020 at 8:11am
Print Post  
yes, great stuff

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #32 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Following up on the actual sighting in this is how I head shoot rabbits with Winchester Subsonics with the POI shot in at 50 meters.   Assuming its a reasonable size rabbit use the rabbit to put your cross hairs in the right spot to from 0 to 60 meters, and a bit beyond. Your having to guess the distance but if the rabbits are bout same size, half to full grow, you will get pretty good at it.. off a rest is best.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #33 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 11:23am
Print Post  

Just wondering which Winchester subs you use - I have a brick of the 40grs and I can't get better than 1 1/2" at fifty yards out of either of my BRNO's.
I measured them with a micrometer and they're quite a bit undersize - about .220" and I wondered if the low velocity wasn't bumping them into the bore.
Otherwise - terminal performance is pretty good.

Have got another brick of the old 40gr supersonic Winchester Rabbit Ammo which measures the same, but they do shoot better .......... bit noisy for where I'm shooting though.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #34 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
When I used to head shoot a lot of rabbits, pet food production, was some years back so not rely sure which one they was. Still using them though in the same bolt action .22 ruger 77/22. Its had the barrel shortened though for easier handling inside of a truck. Just body shoot now as not picking up, but still use something of the same sytem. Aim high if within 5-20 meters, aim high center of mass 20 -50 meters, aim top of back.. on the hair air line 50 meters .  Havnt actually shot at a piece of paper with them for years. Interesting comment you make though. Having a think about that.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 1:06pm
Print Post  

Yeah, we're 'body shooting' them too, but would like them to group a bit better.
I did toy with the idea of making a die to 'bump' them up to .224/.225" to see if they shot better - and I see people do that with a Paco Kelly tool or similar, but we don't shoot .22lr that much and I'm not sure I can be bothered.

I've got some quite old .22 ammo here, 1000 rounds of the old blue box CAC supersonics and quite a few ICI's that I bought better than fifty years ago and they still shoot okay - but all too noisy around here as people get a bit antsy nowdays if they hear a gun go off up the hill.

Just measured those CAC's and they come out at a smidge over .224".

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #36 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Have found the 42g win subs to be excellent killers and shoot well in my Brno and 10/22,the CCI subs are a little bit more accurate but don’t seem to anchor the bunny as well ,the hole in the end is a lot smaller than the Winchester I think that’s the difference..the extra 2g in weight might help as well,usually just sight in bang on @50m

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #37 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Just went and looked at the brick im using Mr Bomb and they are 42grainers too.  They are just shooting spot on at the moment. Hard to miss with my trigger at 1.5lbs and breaking like a dry twig.   Heaps or richochettes though. They often pass straight through.  They do the damage fir sure. No survivors to report.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #38 - Apr 27th, 2020 at 7:45pm
Print Post  

Cheers mate, I didn't even know those 42 grainers existed until the other day - they sound good.
Never tried the CCI's as I only really went to subs after my nephew went on and on about them a few years back when he was shooting possums - so I got some to shoot up the back and like them.

Might look up some of those heavier ones - can never have too much .22lr  Smiley

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #39 - May 5th, 2020 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Interesting topic. I've set a a 25m range (50 if no one comes up the drive) The new box of Winchester subs is far from accurate, 20mm @ 25m, but the few I had left from years ago were spot on keyhole. I don't have any left to see if they were 42g. Blue box from memory. The new ammo does flatten rabbits fine and I will use them on goats next week.

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #40 - May 6th, 2020 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Use the subs on goats if you like to hear them scream(can’t stand it myself they sound like a small child)I hav3 used the CCI velocitor on goats and it kills well under 50m

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #41 - May 7th, 2020 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Couple of years ago I shot 8 out of a mob of 10 with subs. Not a scream to be heard. It’s definitely not my go to round for them and I’ve shot many with stingers. Head shooting with subs from 10 to 40ish meters is fine.

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Reply #42 - May 19th, 2020 at 6:42am
Print Post  
The quality of CCI and Winchester ammo just isnt there these days . Since Winchester stopped making Australian .22 ammo its been US made , and its poor quality . The Aussie stuff was very good though.

For standard velocity ammo the SK stuff in the jellymeat cans is good ammo - very greasy though

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards