Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Gay european tourists killing NZ native birds on youtube (Read 30228 times)
Kickstart
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Re: Gay european tourists killing NZ native birds on youtube
Reply #495 - May 6th, 2010 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
I think the younger (20-30 yr olds) dont realise the ramifications of the extreme lack of privacy they give themselves..

Just pointed out to Shewho who was reading a friends facebook - saying they were off for a while and were getting the neighbours to feed the cats..  Jokingly I said should we rob them? then got Shewho to show me who else could read it her friends post... thousands of people... gah, I should write an "online identity" article in the computer help section...

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #496 - May 6th, 2010 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
weka get hunted on the Chathams by the locals, legally, ......

Cos they were introduced there, so I understand.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #497 - May 6th, 2010 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
cleaky wrote on May 6th, 2010 at 10:09am:
The newsroom's been contacted, the online version amended or taken down and the reporter from last night will be in touch shortly. Apparently.

Never believe anything you read in the media, ever.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Nirok
Ex Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #498 - May 7th, 2010 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I saw that on tv3 and reminded me of when we were fishing at lake waikaremoana... swiss tourist asked us how to catch trout at lake waikareiti so we told them which lures to use.... they went and brought the lures from the shop .... and the next day we asked how they got along... they didn't catch anything... apparently all they did was tie 2m of nylon to the back of the metal dingy up there and put the lures on the back...  Huh

I guess we were just lost for words ....... but shows how they go out and try stuff without actually realising the rules.... or even learning how to do the sport

IP Logged

SouthernConversion
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #499 - May 19th, 2010 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I know this whole thing is getting worn out but I sent an e-mail to the mister of conservation and recently received a letter in the mail........

Dear Shaun,

Thank you for your e-mail of 27 March 2010 in relation to the Norwegian hunters and their You Tube video shooting of a kereru. This incident certainly gained a high profile very quickly and, as it happens, I travelled to Franz Josef Glacier for the national park 50th celebrations that weekend, the area where the kereru was allegedly shot.

This is a very serious incident and the questions you raised in your e-mail are good ones. The Department of Conservation has undertaken a thorough investigation and has been working closely with Okokrim (Norwegian National Authority for Investigation and Prosecution of Economic and Environmental Crime) to ensure that all information is gathered and appropriate measures taken.

Four of the men brought with them hunting rifles and obtained visitor firearms permits from the airport police on arrival in New Zealand.

Early in January, the Norwegian party obtained hunting permits for the Canterbury and Otago Conservancies. The Norwegian party did not obtain hunting permits for the West Coast Conservancy and left New Zealand at the end of January 2010.

Customs does not direct tourists wishing to hunt in New Zealand to the Department or to Fish and Game, and likewise the airport police do not provide specific advice to visitors about hunting in New Zealand. I note that this information may not be readily available to tourists at present and perhaps a leaflet could be produced to inform visiting hunters about some basic rules and etiquette when hunting in New Zealand; however, I believe you are correct in your e-mail when you say ignorance is no excuse.

The department strongly supports and encourages recreational hunting by both New Zealanders and international visitors. The need to seek a hunting permit from the department to hunt on public conservation land provides a good opportunity to ensure that all hunters understand the conditions and expectations associated with hunting in New Zealand. At present, there is no consideration being given to charging a fee for this hunting permit.

Thank you for your comments, and your quick response to the original You Tube video that enabled the department to investigate this incident. I will ask the department to look into the opportunity to produce an introductory hunting in New Zealand pamphlet that can be given to hunters on arrival in New Zealand.

Yours sincerely

Signed

Hon Kate Wilkonson
Minister of Conservation

IP Logged

SouthernConversion
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #500 - May 19th, 2010 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Quote Kate Wilkonson...
"I will ask the department to look into the opportunity to produce an introductory hunting in New Zealand pamphlet that can be given to hunters on arrival in New Zealand."

I believe this an opportunty for NZDA to approach DOC and offer support with wording for the pamphlet, including ethical issues that point out the way hunting is and is not done.

Cue: Weathered and Oscar!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards