Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What is the best gun for beginners? (Read 3289 times)
Lincoln217
Ex Member

What is the best gun for beginners?
Feb 22nd, 2010 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Hi, I'm new as you all can see. And I'm wondering what the best gun is for a beginner to hunt small games(calibre+make preferbly give me a price range too!). I want it to be , cheap (although that isnt the most important), reliable and versitile. I want the gun to be able to shoot most small games. Also I want to know what equipments I need, such as tripods, silencers etc...

Also I am wondering if you experinced hunters can provide me with the types of the animasl I should hunt as a beginner, and where I cant hunt the different games. Hunting techniques would also be appreciated.

I would really appreciate if you send a message to me or via email :linfengye217@hotmail.com

Or you can just post it on this post Wink THANKS GUYS
APPRECIATE UR HELP

IP Logged

Monsterbishi
Forum Font

Christchurch, NZ<br />

Re: What is the best gun for beginners?
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Without knowing where you live, it makes it difficult to offer any advice as to where is suitable for you to hunt.

Have a look through the firearms section of the forum - it's loaded with great advice as to what is available for various purposes.

<div style=

Visiting Yank
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
I got into hunting 5 years ago and my advice is a 22 LR bolt.  I bought a CZ 452 and put a 4x32 Bushnell on it.  But, there's lot of great options.

I also bought a 12g pump shotgun, but didn't use it as much.  Without dogs or a decoy, bird hunting is hard.  I still enjoyed it, but it can be frustrating.

IP Logged

Lincoln217
Ex Member

Where I live
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
I live in central Auckland, I dont mind if i have to drive a hour or so to get to a great hunting ground... Any suggestions where I can hunt around Auckland?

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Do you have a firearms license?

IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
look into the Howick or Waitakere Sporting Rifle Clubs. shoot indoors .22lr at 25m. Or NZDA nearest you. Face to face advice and they might even let you handle and shoot various brands and calibres.
  No one ever regreted getting their .22, only regret letting them go Wink

So many CATS , so FEW recipes!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a Stalker..Well she's not EXACTLY my girlfriend, yet!
IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Isn't an hour out of auckland west auckland?  I think thats classified as dangerous game.

Buy a .22 LR bolt action.  CZ is good.  Norinco is cheap.

Join the NZDA, do the hunts course and buy the back issues of NZ hunter starting at issue one.  The "How to be a hunter" series of articles has everything in it that you need to know.

You should do some target shooting before going hunting as they are live animals you are shooting and do deserve some respect.

I assume you have a firearms license???

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Tahan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Hey, a 22 lr or a 17hmr are good rifles for shooting small game.
Though air rifles are also a very good option.

IP Logged

Lincoln217
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
Actually, Im not 16 yet.. But im getting a gun licence as soon as I turn 1.. SO im gathering 'INTEL' so to speak. And offcourse i will practise my aim at a shoting range first.

IP Logged

Ginzu8
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
A bolt action .22LR would be ideal, when you finally got the firearm license. Look at the Norinco Em332 .22LR rifle. not the prettiest gun out there but its cheap and its accurate. Have some one with experience show u the do's n Donts. how to look after the rifle etc. good luck.

IP Logged

Lincoln217
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Thanks guys for all the help!

IP Logged

J R
Forum Font

wing shooter

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Hey mate, I started with my great granddads BSA open sight, great little gun and you learn how to shoot with open sights.
For a beginner gun i would suggest something cheap, something that goes bang and shoots out a bullet.  Grin
I would not waste your time on a single shot if you are wanting to hunt small game as they will just be a pain in the ass.
Try a bolt action maybe Norinco? something around that price range, they sell the gun and scope packages pretty cheap. around $250.
you wont really need a tripod..
silencer would be handy, just get the slip on one for about $70 and you wont drive you parents up the walls.
There are many types of game you can hunt its just depends on your location, if you are around orchards you are definitely going to get rabbits and possums. most farm paddocks have hares and rabbits and you always get possums around forestry blocks and plantations. 
Hope some of this info helps, just pm me if you need any more info. cheers. Cool

IP Logged

J R
Forum Font

wing shooter

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Just realized that i repeated a lot of other posts lol  Grin Shocked

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
First get your license, second don't buy a gun, join a smallbore club (assuming you've haven't already).

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
barret 50

end of story Wink

hahahaahahah na get yaself a norinco jw 23 (22 magnum)

super x hollow points
away laughing

cheap reliable and fun

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards