Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) best night scope (Read 9040 times)
Eriksson

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: best night scope
Reply #30 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 7:07pm:
Eriksson wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 12:11pm:
I don't want to upset anyone but if you want the best light (as you asked for) we are talking about the three big europeand brands and bigger is better. I have tryed most of them and I would say you can't get any better light them zeiss varipoint 3-12x56.

But would I pay 3 500 dollar for a scoope for the 22? Not a chans in h*ll. I would probarbly go for a old fixed swarro or zeiss in 4x42, 6x42, 7x50 or a 8x56 depending on how important the light is. Over here you can get hold of that kind of scoopes for 400-600 dollars.  

Are you talking NZ $$

Yep thats kiwidollar. At the moment there's a swarovski 4x32 for 450$ and a zeiss 8x56 for 550$ for sale on the bigest secondhand site.

IP Logged

FareGame

Reply #31 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
the exit size of the scope matters as well

think from memory 7mm is about the average max that a human eye is open (at night)

after that the light from the scope is wasted - some people have larger sizes (especially when younger) up to 9mm - and sadly it does reduce over time with age -  different for each person though

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #32 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Thats why they go to 8x56. It increases the size mainly for ID.
Tell if you have a big SI deer or not. Smiley

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

Reply #33 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 2:06am:
Tikka T3 wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 1:07am:
If a 42mm sccope doesn't gather in enogh light then going bigger still won't help. Two suggestions get a brighter light Wink or as I said a better quality scope. Have you tried this scope in the evening to see what it's light gathering capabilities are compared to the scope on your .243. Compare the reticles as well if the one on the .243 is thicker and you can see it better then a scope with thicker 'hairs  an illuminted reticle might be the go. It's really a matter of trying the options and finding the right problem.

I cant go a brighter light, alrady about as bright as it comes. Im using a red filter over it and notice the red eyes are much easier to see in teh long tussock now that IM getting used to it. At first I thought Id gone blind. but now can pick up the eyes, red reflection more easily..

That comment was made tongue in cheeks hence the Smiley sometimes a duller light can make a difference.

Rereading your post there is about 4 issues that need looking at.
The first is the light holding the rabbits I was going to suggest a filter but you are already doing that. If they are still not holding try a less powerful light sometimes that doesn't spook them like a strong light.
Also the scope itself needs to be looked at you haven't said what make but since it is a cheapie the quality might not be up to it or it may just be a dud. The reticle sounds like it is too fine so like I said try a thicker one if you want an illuminated reticle try and have a play with one first you might not like them. It sounds like you are considering buying another scope so sort the reticle out before buying and stay with a 40mm it's heaps for night shooting and the distances you are shooting especially with subs.
And the last is (and you can kick my arse next time I see you) it sounds like a visit to an optician is due Smiley

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #34 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Eriksson wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 12:11pm:
I don't want to upset anyone but if you want the best light (as you asked for) we are talking about the three big europeand brands and bigger is better. I have tryed most of them and I would say you can't get any better light them zeiss varipoint 3-12x56.

But would I pay 3 500 dollar for a scoope for the 22? Not a chans in h*ll. I would probarbly go for a old fixed swarro or zeiss in 4x42, 6x42, 7x50 or a 8x56 depending on how important the light is. Over here you can get hold of that kind of scoopes for 400-600 dollars.  

+1 what you said.

+1 what crazy man said.  I can see lots of edge distortion.  Might just be the photo but I doubt it.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Tikka T3 wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:52pm:
headcase wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 2:06am:
Tikka T3 wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 1:07am:
If a 42mm sccope doesn't gather in enogh light then going bigger still won't help. Two suggestions get a brighter light Wink or as I said a better quality scope. Have you tried this scope in the evening to see what it's light gathering capabilities are compared to the scope on your .243. Compare the reticles as well if the one on the .243 is thicker and you can see it better then a scope with thicker 'hairs  an illuminted reticle might be the go. It's really a matter of trying the options and finding the right problem.

I cant go a brighter light, alrady about as bright as it comes. Im using a red filter over it and notice the red eyes are much easier to see in teh long tussock now that IM getting used to it. At first I thought Id gone blind. but now can pick up the eyes, red reflection more easily..

That comment was made tongue in cheeks hence the Smiley sometimes a duller light can make a difference.

Rereading your post there is about 4 issues that need looking at.
The first is the light holding the rabbits I was going to suggest a filter but you are already doing that. If they are still not holding try a less powerful light sometimes that doesn't spook them like a strong light.
Also the scope itself needs to be looked at you haven't said what make but since it is a cheapie the quality might not be up to it or it may just be a dud. The reticle sounds like it is too fine so like I said try a thicker one if you want an illuminated reticle try and have a play with one first you might not like them. It sounds like you are considering buying another scope so sort the reticle out before buying and stay with a 40mm it's heaps for night shooting and the distances you are shooting especially with subs.
And the last is (and you can kick my arse next time I see you) it sounds like a visit to an optician is due Smiley

A trip to the opticians is planned. I’m hoping I won’t have to hunt Tahr with a white cane.  Huh

Actually I don’t hold the light directly on them at all. Just the peripheral light has to be enough, or they will bolt. The skill is in the balance of minimum light and speedy target acquisition. I’m shooting them one handed over a rest, and holding the spot in the left hand.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

Reply #36 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
It might not be all the scopes fault then but as much spooky bunnies and too strong a light. Someone suggested a led light. Might be worth trying they don't seem to have the harsh glare of a spotlight. Might as well try these things before buying another scope and the discovering that was tha problem all the time. Might help keep you in Amina's good books after buying the Ruger Smiley
Gogod luck at the opticians and I can't se a white cane stopping you anyway Grin

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #37 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
I found that the Weaver Grandslam 3-10x40 a good scope for the price ....Big step up in low light over the burris in finding the cross hair and huge step up over the Tasco I had years ago....I have since sold my GS weavers but the increase in light gathering and clearaty is not as big a step as the step in dollars spent Undecided

The lower the power the more light gathered but of coarse the smaller the target, The V16 weaver I like as well for the $$...but not as repeatable as the GS.

The cheap scopes are shockers generaly at low light......Iluminated reticle is good but don't scimp on glass quality over illuminated Wink

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

Reply #38 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:15am
Print Post  
leathel wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 11:49pm:
I found that the Weaver Grandslam 3-10x40 a good scope for the price ....Big step up in low light over the burris in finding the cross hair and huge step up over the Tasco I had years ago....I have since sold my GS weavers but the increase in light gathering and clearaty is not as big a step as the step in dollars spent Undecided

The lower the power the more light gathered but of coarse the smaller the target, The V16 weaver I like as well for the $$...but not as repeatable as the GS.

The cheap scopes are shockers generaly at low light......Iluminated reticle is good but don't scimp on glass quality over illuminated Wink

Smiley

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #39 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 2:59am
Print Post  
+1, you have to spend around $500 before you get into the mid range of quality for scopes.  You get a lot more for your money by importing than buying locally.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

theoddfellows
Forum Senior

Reply #40 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Hi HC, their seems to be two points to your question, one of reticle design and the other of the size/magnification of the scope.  I think the reticle has been answered, and is probably the second of the two points you should look at. 

FareGame makes a very good point:
FareGame wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:29pm:
the exit size of the scope matters as well

think from memory 7mm is about the average max that a human eye is open (at night)

after that the light from the scope is wasted - some people have larger sizes (especially when younger) up to 9mm - and sadly it does reduce over time with age -  different for each person though

The way to determine exit size of the scope is by dividing the magnification by the object size, i.e. a fixed scope of 10*40mm, will have a exit size of 4mm, while a fixed scope of 4*40mm will have a exit size of 10mm.  As Faregame mentions, as we age the our eyes change and we can use less of the available exit size, regardless of the exit size our pupil can only take in so much.  So a exit size of 10mm is actually wasted, I would recommend an exit size of around 5 or 6mm.  What this means is that you're only paying for what you acually use, and as you can see a 4*40 is a waste, get something in a 4*32, you'll pay less - or pay the same and get better glass.

Something like this:

http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/ZEISS-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-4x32-Z-Plex-5214059920.h...

But with Reticle 4 would be ideal (paralax is 100 yards though).

IP Logged

Gerry Atric
Donor Member

Reply #41 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Hello Headcase,

Don´t know the availability of used european scopes in N.Z. but after my latest sessions with a couple of friends shooting Hare and Fox in overcast moonlight conditions - I have seen the light Shocked

All european glass beat my illuminated Leupold VXIII, hands down. (actually, my Burris Black Diamond at 6x was better than the Leupy)
It was a mixed bunch of scopes involved, new German/Austrian variable scopes and some old 4x, 6x and 8x. My absolute favourite (being a cheap bastard) was a Zeiss 6x42 German No 4, that in my eyes had the best glass/reticle combination (of the affordable scopes)

An old german or a new semi-german would do the trick Wink
Good luck at the optician....

Gerry Atrick

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #42 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Gerry Atric wrote on Feb 21st, 2010 at 9:58am:
Hello Headcase,

Don´t know the availability of used european scopes in N.Z. but after my latest sessions with a couple of friends shooting Hare and Fox in overcast moonlight conditions - I have seen the light Shocked

All european glass beat my illuminated Leupold VXIII, hands down. (actually, my Burris Black Diamond at 6x was better than the Leupy)
It was a mixed bunch of scopes involved, new German/Austrian variable scopes and some old 4x, 6x and 8x. My absolute favourite (being a cheap bastard) was a Zeiss 6x42 German No 4, that in my eyes had the best glass/reticle combination (of the affordable scopes)

An old german or a new semi-german would do the trick Wink
Good luck at the optician....

Gerry Atrick

Were you also using a spot or just the moonlight?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #43 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
It has to have the big lens and good glass.
No substitutes.
Nothing worse than can't quite indentify it and let it go.
I have used a 42(90%) and its happened - not with the 50 to 56 Kahles or Ziess (95%)

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #44 - Feb 21st, 2010 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
primer wrote on Feb 21st, 2010 at 7:39pm:
It has to have the big lens and good glass.
No substitutes.
Nothing worse than can't quite indentify it and let it go.I have used a 42(90%) and its happened - not with the 50 to 56 Kahles or Ziess (95%)

thats frustrating alright. One spents enough time spotting them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards