Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) best night scope (Read 13015 times)
MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Re: best night scope
Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Sold out at the moment but this would be my pic.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=521405

I have seen ex demo units go for as little as a couple of hundred USD from Doug.  They offer a good range of bold and/or illuminated reticles.

To get a german no 4 in a leupold 4x or 6x you need to go through the custom shop which adds cost.  They do offer the heavy duplex but it's not quite as good as the crosshairs are fatter and the outer posts are thinner than the german no 4.

The reason that the german reticles are called german is that they do a lot of night hunting which the yanks don't do as it's illegal for most game species in the states.

Edit: There is also the Trijicon range of scopes with their radioactive illuminated reticle and bible references stamped on the side.  Not cheap but they are apparently the bomb.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Benelli boy
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
What you need for the "ideal" scope is a big IOR (40mm tube) with a lit reticle.  40mm tube will let in lots of light.........

http://www.valdada.com/product/7799bd3d-2c65-48aa-add0-7e3fce3894af.aspx

Don't say I don't help you out.......

Yep! That's just what you need. About 5000 bunnies will cover that. I should have given you a go with my wee Fenix the other night Stephen, the little buggers seemed to hold in that O.K. after I'd found them with the big light.

To be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid!

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #17 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Benelli boy wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 8:28pm:
Quote:
What you need for the "ideal" scope is a big IOR (40mm tube) with a lit reticle.  40mm tube will let in lots of light.........

Yep! That's just what you need. About 5000 bunnies will cover that. I should have given you a go with my wee Fenix the other night Stephen, the little buggers seemed to hold in that O.K. after I'd found them with the big light.

umm at the kill rate we were getting I should have that paid off in about 5 years and just enough left over for a short retirement. Grin Things have improved. That was my worst night.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 3:14pm:
Quote:

Youve always been most generous..  Wink

On second thoughts , just had a look at the price Grin

Thats only 1500 bunnies HC go for it. Grin Grin

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #19 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Trout wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:22pm:
headcase wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 3:14pm:
Quote:

Youve always been most generous..  Wink

On second thoughts , just had a look at the price Grin

Thats only 1500 bunnies HC go for it. Grin Grin

Dont tell me to get a Tasco.  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #20 - Feb 18th, 2010 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
you know how good a tasco is,looks like il have to tag along so you can use my nigth vision eyes  Cool

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

KScott_NZ
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:13am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Feb 18th, 2010 at 3:08pm:
Which has the sharper optics?

Any preference in thecross hair type.

To my eye optics wise they're pretty much the same. No milkyness when zoomed up.

In a weird way crosshair reticle, I like them both as they do their job. The Mueller with the sharp 30/30 on the HM2

but the Hawke with mildot because when I need to do longer range on the .22 I use them

When shooting the HM2 longer range it's still point and click for me, for the .22 the mildots are handy for drop. Ignore the flare, etc in the photos, I'm still playing around trying to sort out positioning for scope cam videos.

crzy-man, awesome work at living up to your name and great input to the thread. Well done.

IP Logged

Eriksson

Reply #22 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 1:11am
Print Post  
I don't want to upset anyone but if you want the best light (as you asked for) we are talking about the three big europeand brands and bigger is better. I have tryed most of them and I would say you can't get any better light them zeiss varipoint 3-12x56.

But would I pay 3 500 dollar for a scoope for the 22? Not a chans in h*ll. I would probarbly go for a old fixed swarro or zeiss in 4x42, 6x42, 7x50 or a 8x56 depending on how important the light is. Over here you can get hold of that kind of scoopes for 400-600 dollars. 

IP Logged

crzy-man
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 7:39am
Print Post  
KScott_NZ wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:13am:

To my eye optics wise they're pretty much the same. No milkyness when zoomed up.

In a weird way crosshair reticle, I like them both as they do their job. The Mueller with the sharp 30/30 on the HM2

but the Hawke with mildot because when I need to do longer range on the .22 I use them

When shooting the HM2 longer range it's still point and click for me, for the .22 the mildots are handy for drop. Ignore the flare, etc in the photos, I'm still playing around trying to sort out positioning for scope cam videos.

crzy-man, awesome work at living up to your name and great input to the thread. Well done.

I gave advice on the best scope for the job unlike you.  You gave advice on what you "could" use on a limited budget that work's "ok". 

Both those photo's are out of focus and blurey (could be the camera but I dought it), this may be sharp optic's in your eye's but until you pick up a good scope and look through you have no idea what your on about.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #24 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Eriksson wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 1:11am:
I don't want to upset anyone but if you want the best light (as you asked for) we are talking about the three big europeand brands and bigger is better. I have tryed most of them and I would say you can't get any better light them zeiss varipoint 3-12x56.

But would I pay 3 500 dollar for a scoope for the 22? Not a chans in h*ll. I would probarbly go for a old fixed swarro or zeiss in 4x42, 6x42, 7x50 or a 8x56 depending on how important the light is. Over here you can get hold of that kind of scoopes for 400-600 dollars.  

Are you talking NZ $$

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #25 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 8:08am
Print Post  
KScott_NZ wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 12:13am:

Nice pics KScott, the hare is a cracker.

IP Logged

KScott_NZ
Forum Font

Reply #26 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Yeah, the hare flopped over moment later, without a twitch.

crzy-man, I'm not going to derail a thread for you, but your input of "I gave advice on the best scope for the job unlike you" is "crap, crap crap" ? Uh huh, sure. A scope costing nearly $5000.  Roll Eyes

As I pointed out but you've obviously skipped reading, ignore the quality of the photos as I was still playing around with settings of my scope cam. I assumed normal people wouldn't use the scope photos solely as a buying guide for quality, considering how challenging it is to take a photo through a scope while still shooting out in the field. Obviously my expectations were set too high for some.

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #27 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 9:26am
Print Post  
In scale of importance-
1/Small difference in lens size up from 40 to 56 a bit less than 100% more light gathering.
2/Lens coatings are important.
90% vs 95% top end makes a diferenc. Can't really identify with 90%
3/and then include something like Zeiss T coating for a bit more improvement.
Anything with assembled in USA on won't have that.

Cranking out the diopter helps a bit but start to loose resolution.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #28 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 9:34am
Print Post  
primer wrote on Feb 19th, 2010 at 9:26am:
In scale of importance-
1/Small difference in lens size up from 40 to 56 a bit less than 100% more light gathering.
2/Lens coatings are important.
90% vs 95% top end makes a diferenc. Can't really identify with 90%
3/and then include something like Zeiss T coating for a bit more improvement.
Anything with assembled in USA on won't have that.

Cranking out the diopter helps a bit but start to loose resolution.

The bigger lens size means thescope is going to be mounted a little higher over the barrel? Is this going to be a disadvantage shooting short distances, say under 30-40 m. Im talking about head shooting so a relativly small target.

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #29 - Feb 19th, 2010 at 9:41am
Print Post  
I only hunt NI deer... Smiley
Its only 8mm though. 40 to 56.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards