Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rabbits - Long Grass (Read 3333 times)
ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Rabbits - Long Grass
Feb 10th, 2010 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Well millions of rabbits to shoot/kill but grass is to long to do much control.

I'm guessing everyone is having the same problem in Canterbury. One good thing is the long/damp grass will be killing 25-50% of the young new born rabbits. An old time rabbiter said that long grass is the biggest natural killer young rabbits can have.

So i'm guessing it wont get any better for shooting until Winter, unless a block/paddock is stocked for a long time.

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

Mork
Forum Senior

Custer was a pussy

Re: Rabbits - Long Grass
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Whats it going to be like next spring if the buggers haven't been shot at this summer?  May force Ecans hand to get another RCD strain in..

Rumour has it from a few involved last time that there are people trying to source it now from Australia.

Been told that there is 10 strains, We have 1, Austalia has 2 and there are 8 others in Europe.  Each strain has an effective life of 10 years or so with a rotation of the virus the rabbits will never get truely immune.

IP Logged

Monsterbishi
Forum Font

Christchurch, NZ<br />

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Well, I know most of my ideas are a 'little' bit impractical, but this just sprung to mind - if you mowed a lane right through the middle of one of the paddocks, would the bunnies gravitate into it like how they do with fence lines?

Sorta a furry version of Moses parting the red sea?

<div style=

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Mork wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 8:30pm:
Whats it going to be like next spring if the buggers haven't been shot at this summer?  May force Ecans hand to get another RCD strain in..

Rumour has it from a few involved last time that there are people trying to source it now from Australia.

Been told that there is 10 strains, We have 1, Austalia has 2 and there are 8 others in Europe.  Each strain has an effective life of 10 years or so with a rotation of the virus the rabbits will never get truely immune.

Well if 25% of the littlies die, it shouldnt be toooo bad. As its probably easier to get those 25% from nightshooting even with the long grass.

Yep read in the Christchurch Press there are more strains out there and ECan is looking at bringing some in.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Monsterbishi wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 8:32pm:
Well, I know most of my ideas are a 'little' bit impractical, but this just sprung to mind - if you mowed a lane right through the middle of one of the paddocks, would the bunnies gravitate into it like how they do with fence lines?

They probably would, but on the hill its near impossible to mow unless you have a mulcher. I should ask to borrow the tractor/mulcher and test out your theory. But im guessing from what I've seen it would actually work!! But then then you would need to poison them as a 3 metre wide strip would be hard to shoot them, as they would quickly jump into the long grass.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I just head to the tops of the hills where the grass is shorter.  Thats generally were the warrens are anyway.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Forget the rabbits, the long grass has been killing me. Even with my daily dose of flixonaise the hayever kills me in it.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Spoke to a client today, wants me to come in and kills some bunnies/turkeys.

Even though proberly wont see anythign will head along.

If anyone wants a Turkey let me know... I will even pluck it/freeze it for the right price.

IP Logged

LOVE2HUNT

Getting stuck into it
!!

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
The long grass has been a problem right from the start of spring. I used to go out every weekend but have only been going out about every 2nd to 3rd weekend now. The property owner commented to me that I hadnt been coming out on a weekly basis and they thought I had lost interest, but I had to tell them that it was due to the long grass and that there destocking of animals had a bit to do with it Wink Wink

Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't expect it back

IP Logged

Dundee
Banned

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Watched something on the tv tonight it looks dry as down there?Are I wrong?

IP Logged

7mm 08 Gravy
Forum Senior

Stag Sign...<br />

Reply #10 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
I shot on 2 properties on the weekend - 1 in Greta Valley & 1 in Scargill.
The Greta Valley was o.k on the hills but it was still pretty long but the flat property in Scargill was impossible to see any animals...the grass was up to the top of the tyres on the truck Shocked

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Monsterbishi wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 8:32pm:

That's one of your better <evil> ideas youve had!  well better than jihad bunny anyway!

Not sure if we can convince the boss to let us stake out that little black one I didnt get a shot at last time...  he's quick... perhaps I can borrow a couple of tractors, we can camp out in the buckets  Grin Grin Grin  12 hrs for one black bunny, splattered with a centrefire anyway  Shocked

IP Logged

gaudybrute

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 10:50am
Print Post  
7mm 08 Gravy wrote on Feb 11th, 2010 at 10:18pm:
The Greta Valley was o.k on the hills but it was still pretty long but the flat property in Scargill was impossible to see any animals...the grass was up to the top of the tyres on the truck Shocked

Whose properties are you sneaking into on my turf 7mm haha. Quite a few mates looking for shooters round here once grass gets sorted so will keep you all posted. Have a few to shoot already myself so if they look alright might even give up my own one if cousin isnt keen

IP Logged

7mm 08 Gravy
Forum Senior

Stag Sign...<br />

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
gaudybrute wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 10:50am:
7mm 08 Gravy wrote on Feb 11th, 2010 at 10:18pm:

Whose properties are you sneaking into on my turf 7mm haha. Quite a few mates looking for shooters round here once grass gets sorted so will keep you all posted. Have a few to shoot already myself so if they look alright might even give up my own one if cousin isnt keen

My relations farm Devaar North of Greta & Andy & Nicki F's place in Scargill.

Devaar is having professional shooters next month to clear the area as it's getting planted in forestry - so it was my last shoot there for a few months Embarrassed

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
gaudybrute wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 10:50am:
[ Quite a few mates looking for shooters round here once grass gets sorted so will keep you all posted. Have a few to shoot already myself so if they look alright might even give up my own one if cousin isnt keen

Good on ya gaudybrute1 Smiley

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards