Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Sub's or Super's? (Read 4170 times)
Vulcan
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Sub's or Super's?
Feb 9th, 2010 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Traditionally I use 22 sub's when hunting with my supressor cos they're nice and quiet.

After taking my baikal 243 out for a bit of bunny genocide I'm having second thoughts. The baikal is suppressed, but still noisy with the supersonic rounds. When I fired the general reaction of the bunnies was not to run. Its like shhrrrrkkk (supersonic sound) - bunny looks around kinda dumbly then continues eating.

Whereas as with the sub's the noise of the impact seems to scare the bejezuz out of them.... its like click thwump (round hitting dirt) bunny bolts like someone kicked up the arse.

So I'm thinking of switching my 22 to HVs/supersonics, my supressor is up too it, what do you gents think?

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Re: Sub's or Super's?
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 9:26am
Print Post  
I have destroyed 2 bunnies side by side with my 6.5 @ 120 metres +

First one exploded - literally.  His mate just sat there - rooted to the ground!

I only use subs now around stock and if they (bunnies) arent skitterish.  Otherwise I've gone back to my old ways with hyper rounds and the supressor.

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

NAAA run!!

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Or try hitting them...

Subs falling low & throwing high speed dirt in their eyes, they hate and will go shy on real quick..

Supersonic cracks over their head - will put them on alert, usually they will put up with one shot & carry on, but the 2nd and I've found they will be goneburger.

There is the odd exception however - when they go thud, drop twitch twitch, you can also get another shot at onlookers because they just think their mate bun buns is having a scratch  Grin

Remeber, rabbits cant see red  Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Yeah I've done that to hares with my 223.

I was hunting for goats and spotted a pair of large hares further down the right hand of a spur. I was lining them up and heard a maaaaaaa.... poked my head around the corner and there's a mob of goats on the left side of the spur.

Damn I thought, decisions decisions. So I went back and picked off the first hare, made a nasty mess, but his mate next to him didn't look all that bothered so I pinned him to the grass as well. Then jumped up and poked my head around the corner and sacrificed 4 goats to the 223 god.

Hyper's it is for my next trial.

IP Logged

6possums

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Its always different though - sometimes they'll bolt when a bullet nera misses them and other times they'll hop away a few metres and carry on or just stay put - thats the fun i guess in not knowing

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 1:34am
Print Post  
I did the same thing with my 308 varmint rifle recently.  Sat on a grassy knole just picked off all the rabbits in two different warrens.  The survivors just kept coming back out.

I think thats because of distance.  You are further away than you normally are with a .22 so they don't perceive you as a direct threat.

I use subs as they are the most accurate.  Supersonic goes a bit wobbly around 100m as they transition from super to subsonic.  This also make the wind drift for supersonics much much worse.

Hypers get generally not that accurate.

It's a scale.  Subs are the most accurate (hence why target guys use them).  Then supersonics, then hyper.

Worth a try though.  You never know your rifle might like them.  Personally I am going to stick to cheap, deadly subs and use my 308 for the longer range shots.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 3:33am
Print Post  
Lots of different vegitation and terrain mixtures to consider, time of day, lighting used, and method of transportation. ie, off a flatdeck, quad, on foot, or setting yourself up on a grassy with some binoculars and a rangefinder plus your favorite HEAVY calibre.

Heavy calibre long range is great sport, and good for open rolling terrain, getting into big steep slopes, and scrubby slopes too steep for a quad. 
.22 subs are great spotlighting(red filter) off a quad in semi open and open flat to rolling country. I also like them in pine platations where you cant shoot far anyway.

There will be other combinations that will be great for you in your favourite bunny busting situation.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 4:30am
Print Post  
The nobel sport of varminting.  At the end of the day just shooting things get boring, long range precisely aimed shooting is what it's all about.

Last time I went out I pulled off a reverse texas heart shot.  Was shooting  rabbits on the far hill and one popped it's head up 10 meters away to I shot it in the chest.  After I ran out of ammo I went to have a look at the carnage.  There was a small pile of guts where the rabbit used to be.  A meter away was a empty rabbit shell/skin.  I didn't look too close as it was a little icky.

A bloody rifle killing rampage for sure.  Got 70 rounds loaded up to do it all again this friday.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Yeah where I go is north of Wellington, almost the southern part of the akatarawa's. So it's very hilly farmland, I like it because no one else goes there (big ass hill to get over). But it does mean you can sit up on a hill and look down and around for the bunnies (and goats) to poke their heads out.

My best shot has been a 180m hare headshot on the 223, bit of a fluke given my shooting habits Cheesy

IP Logged

Xelogen

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Vulcan wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 8:56am:
Yeah where I go is north of Wellington, almost the southern part of the akatarawa's. So it's very hilly farmland, I like it because no one else goes there (big ass hill to get over). But it does mean you can sit up on a hill and look down and around for the bunnies (and goats) to poke their heads out.

My best shot has been a 180m hare headshot on the 223, bit of a fluke given my shooting habits Cheesy

I got one with the MKII last weekend from about 140m. Even more of a fluke, but it's an awesome feeling hitting something that far away with a .22

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
I noticed many years ago a Rabbit or Rabbits shot at and missed or the one next to it hit ,with a 22 HV or Sub reacted much more than ones shot at with variously a 17 Rem, 22 Hornet , 222,223 and 22-250 and now a 221FB
I am unsure as to the differences as a lot of the CF shot ones were shot at 22 ranges so it is not distance that makes the difference.
I use a silencer and subs in my 22 all the time and use it mainly when it is important to not disturb neighbours and stock, also when lots of shots are to be fired and cost becomes a factor, and CF the rest of the time.

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 10:54pm:
I noticed many years ago a Rabbit or Rabbits shot at and missed or the one next to it hit ,with a 22 HV or Sub reacted much more than ones shot at with variously a 17 Rem, 22 Hornet , 222,223 and 22-250 and now a 221FB
I am unsure as to the differences as a lot of the CF shot ones were shot at 22 ranges so it is not distance that makes the difference.
I use a silencer and subs in my 22 all the time and use it mainly when it is important to not disturb neighbours and stock, also when lots of shots are to be fired and cost becomes a factor, and CF the rest of the time.

Yeah same thing here. CF is a baikal 243 with a can on it, 22 is a Savage with a can on it too. The CF shots were at mixed ranges down to 25m. I wonder what it is about the 22?

Anyhoo I grabbed some CCI Stingers and Winchester Laser's today, just to give em a try - I'll see how they go.

IP Logged

Kickstart
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

NAAA run!!

Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 4:32am
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 10:54pm:

I have noticed that and wonder - it's probably because the ones you can hit with the centrefire are further away from other people and therefore have less pressure on them?

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

fashion since 2011

Reply #13 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 5:22am
Print Post  
Is it to do with the two components of the noise.  The muzzle blast and the supersonic crack.  The supersonic crack doesn't come from the direction of the shooter but the muzzle blast does.  Thats why animals shot with a centerfire with a can on often just mill about.  They can hear the shot but don't know where it's coming from.

Maybe with a (unsuppressed) center fire the supersonic crack drowns out the muzzle blast whereas with a .22 the muzzle blast is still quite distinctive.  There will be a difference between the timing of the two components with a round going 3000 fps vs one going 1200 fps.  Just a theory.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 5:51am
Print Post  
No I'm talking suppressed 22 (subs) versus suppressed 243.

I think it maybe that the supersonic crack drowns out the sound of the bullet impact nearby?

ie...
22lr sub... bunny hears nothing but a thwump on the ground distinctly nearby
243 super... bunny hears loud shrrrk (but no bang) which drones out the sound of the bullet hitting the dirt (but the shrrrk sound has no distinct direction)

Anyway, got a pack of CCI Stingers and Winchester Laser's to try out on my next bunny murdering walk.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards