Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic put down a hangi<massive file beware> (Read 5607 times)
wazza56
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: put down a hangi<massive file beware>
Reply #15 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
heavy plastic sheet over the top saves piling dirt on top, just got to watch holes being burnt in it, steam gets recycled down into pit again, quite amazing how many variations out there now

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

Forum Senior

blah blah

Reply #16 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 1:27am
Print Post  
TJ wrote on Jan 29th, 2010 at 8:41pm:
Every hangi that I have put down had a compulsory 2 dozen big bottles of whatever tipple. There are none there.

What is happening with the world?? Cry Cry Cry

dontwary tj there was plenty of that.just not shown in the pics,who would leave them outside ther much beter in the fridge plus its all lion brown,id be shot for having that in the pics Grin

IP Logged

brohunterfisher

Reply #17 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
I use irons in my hangi's and a wet clean sheet goes over the food baskets before the wet sacks.I find i only need to give mine 3 hours in the ground with irons as any longer and it can get over cooked.Pickled pork in the hangi is my favorite though any meat comes out primo and moist.I put my baskets side by side as well and the hole only needs to be slightly larger than the baskets,No need to heat more hole than you need to.I also find my fire only needs to burn for an 1 1/2 hours or until the fire has burnt down.

AIM  
IP Logged

Jimmy_
Forum Senior

Reply #18 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
yum.
best meat in the hangi for me is corned venison.  bloody beautiful.

IP Logged

Neville Pettersson
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 24th, 2010 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Not sure about the plastic... I also recommend sheets first (or anything cotton and wet) followed by sacks.

Rolled pork roast is my fav!

p.s. Wazza, love that avatar mate, bloody mesmerized me for about 2 minutes!

IP Logged

BrettC

Reply #20 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Good post!!! good skill to have the HAngi thing... never ceases to impress people when you put down a good one.... i have done a fair few now learnt a lot along the way!!

I burn the fire in the hole and instead of digging out the embers and ash i lay a real good layer of watercress in the bottom of the hole it keeeps everything down and adds an unreal flavour and smell to the hangi..... another heap on the top and your away..... i put my baskets side by side also..... Have tried goat and paua in a hangi and they turned out real good (not mixed together) but i have to admit that rolled pork is the business!!!!

put one down in a howling Featherston southerly a couple of weekends back... was quite the nervous few brews before i pulled it up turned out to be one of the best i had done!!

ahhhhhhhh Hangi day!!! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

shagger

Reply #21 - Oct 14th, 2010 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I do something similar called a mumu. Its from png and is above ground.
The modern way (my way) is heating the buggery out of rocks and a wheel rim. put the food wrapped in foil on the rim stack the rocks around it wrap it all up in banana leaves then cover the lot in wet newspaper, mountains of wet newspaper till no steam can escape. did one at christmas and just scoffed when the missus said she had seen banana trees round lake Rotorua. she insisted they were there so in the end i piled everyone in the car went to have a look poo pooing the idea right up till we pulled up next to bloody banana trees. never would have believed it had i not seen them myself.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards