Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Ever come across aircraft wreckage in the bush? (Read 15607 times)
Hill roamer
Ex Member

Ever come across aircraft wreckage in the bush?
Jan 15th, 2010 at 6:07am
Print Post  
Hi all. I found an interesting website last year, www.findlostaircraft.co.nz. There is a guy Gavin Grimmer and he spends his time looking for missing aircraft in NZ. I spoke to him last year about reports of a plane wreck on the west coast. He seems a hell of a nice bloke. I suggest you check out the website. So my question is has anyone come across something that maybe something to do with any of the missing aircraft Gavin is searching for? We maybe able to help him out.

Cheers fellars and fellaresses Smiley

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Re: Ever come across aircraft wreckage in the bush?
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi all. I found an interesting website last year, www.findlostaircraft.co.nz. There is a guy Gavin Grimmer and he spends his time looking for missing aircraft in NZ. I spoke to him last year about reports of a plane wreck on the west coast. He seems a hell of a nice bloke. I suggest you check out the website. So my question is has anyone come across something that maybe something to do with any of the missing aircraft Gavin is searching for? We maybe able to help him out.

Cheers fellars and fellaresses Smiley

Gidday hill roamer,, I recall finding remains of quite a biggish aircraft up on Mt Richmond while wading my way through a good mob of goats a long ways back,,never did find out its history Embarrassed although it was well known,,,a great find fi me at the time.

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

Hill roamer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Howdy EC. I think it was a passenger plane that crashed into the north facing slope of mt Richmond in the early 50s? 60s? A few lost their lives sadly. They were flying in cloud and there was a balls up of sorts and the rest is history! The wreckage is still there now i believe mate.

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Quote:
Howdy EC. I think it was a passenger plane that crashed into the north facing slope of mt Richmond in the early 50s? 60s? A few lost their lives sadly. They were flying in cloud and there was a balls up of sorts and the rest is history! The wreckage is still there now i believe mate.

Wow,,after all this time Smiley hey thanks fi that.

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

Hill roamer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 6:59am
Print Post  
No worries. I'm sure if you googled it you would find out more accurate info. Wink

IP Logged

jet32a

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 7:33am
Print Post  
I found a chopper door in Oxford,   would have been an expensive loss for the owner

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 7:47am
Print Post  
I have seen the wreckage of a Helicopter in the North Arm in the Kaimanawas , someone  used a piece of tail section on the chimney of McNuts Hut to stop it smoking , It was wrecked but not unknown ,
My dad and Matt Grant found a wreck when they were skin hunting in the Lewis Pass area in 1944  , they reported it but it was war time and maps of the area were unrelaible and nothing was ever done about it, Dad used to speculate about it when I was a kid .They are both long dead so that is that.

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Hill roamer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Wow thats quite interesting flintlock as the was a Cossair that went missing somewhere between Westport and ChCh on the 11th november 1944 and has never been found. If you look on the website i posted earlier you will be able to read about it. Look for NZ5517. Cheers for that FL Wink

IP Logged

Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
jet32a wrote on Jan 15th, 2010 at 7:33am:
I found a chopper door in Oxford,   would have been an expensive loss for the owner

Came across one side of exhaust cowling off Hughes 500 in bush up Kaipo (Kaimanawa) years ago, and up past Jap creek up the Oamaru theres a packet of Lockwood timber strung out through the bush, be well overgrown by now!! Shocked

IP Logged

Sako75
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Wood have made a nice Bivvy
Seen some wreckage below a helipad in the Ureweras. Result of taking off over loaded

As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder. 
- John Glenn

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Wiawa hut, flew into a tree Cry

IP Logged

Sako75
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
That will teach you to try flying after having a few too many cold ones at the hut  Smiley

As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder. 
- John Glenn

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Reply #12 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
we were up the top of the toa toa that morning it happened,sad day indeed.

IP Logged

TG
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2010 at 5:34am
Print Post  
Found a wing strut in a tree at the end of a flat during the roar last year. Was in a trib of the Arawhata.

IP Logged

264Magic
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2010 at 7:12am
Print Post  
found bits of aircraft below where it crashed in kaimais near the tunnel

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards