Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic WW2 Fighter aircraft wreckage in the Rimutaka foot hills (Read 20190 times)
Huntsouth
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: WW2 Fighter aircraft wreckage in the Rimutaka foot hills
Reply #15 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
It appears people have been picking away at the wreck for many years - doesn't seem to be much of a plane left as such?

Bit different if the pilot was buried near by and an offical wreck site?

Not sure about this?

IP Logged

theoddfellows
Forum Senior

Reply #16 - Jan 17th, 2010 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Fantastic piece of history, thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

303epps
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Apr 12th, 2010 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Smileyhi from mike i used to live in homedale in the mid 60s the area used to be agood handy spot for a shot i agree that shitty suple jack creek was worse than some of the gullys in fiordland regarding the crash site if you look at the engine in the creek you will find that the brass id plates are missing i have them somewhere in one of my junk boxes the machine gun i found in the creek had the breach block removed and the breech and barrel looked like it had been filled full of cocrete from memory the breech was about 10 inches and the barrel 20 inches hell was it heavy to carry out dont have it now left at hunting mates place who lived down the coast road i told tim wallace about it 30 odd years ago when i lived in hawea  on the pest destruction board dont know whether he did anything about it but was interested from memory the fuselage behind the cockpit on right side had the red blue and white circle on it but faded hope this helps cheers.

IP Logged

Simon Gibson

Reply #18 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Great info Mike

Was the crash site very open then? It's very over grown now. When you were up there in the 60's was there much of the wreck left, was it more or less intact or bits of it everywhere?

bnb

IP Logged

303epps
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
hi simon from mike again no the bush looks much the same but where is the body of it it was very much intact at the rear from a metre or so back from the cockpit you could get inside it as i could see the cable and fibre steering gear wheel that the cable ran thru on the right rear side of it part of the wings were there and the tail was almost intact hope this helps better you than me going back up there again dont think i could make it now i just hunt the flats " old trick from old hunter if you are looking for a feed smear some molasses on some tree trunks  and wait for results " they can smell it for miles cheers mike.

IP Logged

Gaving
Just Joined

Reply #20 - Apr 16th, 2010 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
I have been looking for an article that I read a few months back about this wreck. After spending many hours looking, I finally found it in an old "NZ Wings" magazine dated April 1973!
I've taken photos of the article and hopefully they will show here, if I can work out how to do it.
I hope you will enjoy the article.
Gavin
www.findlostaircraft.co.nz

IP Logged

Curly

Reply #21 - Apr 28th, 2010 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Some really interesting history there...

IP Logged

Gaving
Just Joined

Reply #22 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Here's a link to another blog site that covers the same article but with different photos:
http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=display&thread=11025&...

IP Logged

wobblyboot
Forum Senior

whose that following me

Reply #23 - Jun 23rd, 2013 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
From memory I have read something about this in a book of John Pascoe's or maybe his biography. I think he went on the search and body recovery. Sorry I do not have access to my books at the moment but someone who read this and can access a library could check it out.

only dirty people wash

IP Logged

Bush-bug

Reply #24 - Jul 17th, 2013 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Have sent you an email, have family in the area who may be able to help out with more details.

Syndi

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Jul 18th, 2013 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I  had forgotten about that one , A mate's brother found it when tramping and it still had a gun or two in it , he reported it to the police who went and had a look only to find the guns had gone . I guess those were the ones that were cut up. He gave me a .50 round he found ,I still have it somewhere.
My nephew's father inlaw owns/farms the Fairhall airfield where the plane took off from , there are lots of relics like old (empty) ammo bunkers etc , and airforce crockery turns up in the creek after every flood . His house was the officers mess and all the pilots signed the back of a door  in the sittingroom .
The Fairhall field was used as the fighter base that protected Wellington as it was better situated stratigically than the Wtg airfield at the time , They also had dummy Hurricanes on the place to confuse the Japanese

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards