Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) cheap aussie powerpoints? (Read 6042 times)
mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

cheap aussie powerpoints?
Dec 12th, 2009 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Now that aguila has disappeared - and what an excellent hunting round it was - does anyone know of a good source for powerpoint aussie made hv at a good price.

Seems to retail at round $85-90, and the best deal I've managed to locate is $75. Wonder what Wrightsons charge for it?

IP Logged

Munter
Ex Member

Re: cheap aussie powerpoints?
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Kilwell cobra HV is winchester ammo and much cheaper than the stuff in winchester boxes not sure if it is the aussie stuff but they definitely do the damage.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Best deal I can find is $69.50 per brick.

Go into CRT and weasel the price down. They normally retail to the general Public at CRT for $78.20 per brick, if you buy bulk you may get to weasel the price down.

If you are a CRT Member you will automatically get it reduced down too.

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Rabbithunter - who are CRT - not familiar with this.

Also munter - what do you pay for the kilwell cobra? Someone else mentioned it was ok. Can you have a look at a pkt and see where it is made? I know H&F will have it but does anyone else give good prices for it?

Thanks.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:41am
Print Post  
mudgripz wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:31am:

CRT is Combined Rural Traders. They are a farming supply store throughout the South Island.

Drop into the Culverden (Main Road - opposite Golf Course) one next time your up this way, they are probably the ones to get you a decent price as they have a number of shooters up here on the "discounted" rate.

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

Munter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 8:51am
Print Post  
mudgripz wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:31am:

Also munter - what do you pay for the kilwell cobra? Someone else mentioned it was ok. Can you have a look at a pkt and see where it is made? I know H&F will have it but does anyone else give good prices for it?

Thanks.

It is around $80 per brick but that is H&F price you can get it cheaper if you shop around and from memory I think you can also get a bit of a discount from H&F if you are a NZDA member (but don't quote me on that but check and find out) if you are buying individual 50 packs of the kilwell it does work out cheaper as winchester is about $9 per pack compared to the $8 you pay for kilwell. Hopefully aguila will come back.

EDIT: Just went down to the garage and had a look at a pack of the kilwell cobra ammo and it says made in australia(oli australia limited who is winchester aussie) so yup it is aussie made winchester ammo Cool

IP Logged

keen fella
Forum Senior

Luck has nothing to do
with it.

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
kilwell .22 ammo is made in the Australian Winchester factory.  The brass is stamped super x and the only difference between winchester .22 ammo and kilwell is that the kilwell is 37.5 gr instead of 40gr.  Better buying than winchester and the rabbits deffently don't seem to mind.

Hi Everyone, I'm Alister and I'm and addict......a fishing and hunting addict !

IP Logged

apm83

}>)))@>

Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Not that I want to hijack, but I've switched from the Kilwell (powerpt) to the Remmington Cyclone, due to price - no problems either.
$60 or just under per brick suits me!

IP Logged

Munter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:26am
Print Post  
apm83 wrote on Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:08am:
Not that I want to hijack, but I've switched from the Kilwell (powerpt) to the Remmington Cyclone, due to price - no problems either.

Wait till you shoot a possum with it I used remington 22 ammo once and never again especially when I had the bastard get up and run off just as I was about to grab it and pluck it

IP Logged

apm83

}>)))@>

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Quote:
apm83 wrote on Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:08am:

Wait till you shoot a possum with it I used remington 22 ammo once and never again especially when I had the bastard get up and run off just as I was about to grab it and pluck it

Interesting.
I shoot a lot of small game, and not had anything run away with it yet....

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Just out of interest guys is winchester rabbitammo /dynapoint still around.i used both in my Stirling And Toz .22s on rabbits and possums and it was extremely rare that more than one shot was needed.In fact dynapoint was diabolical at times.I once remeber bowling a possum by firing one directly beneath him as he sat looking down snarling at me.
  He hit the ground with a bloody great hole where the left side of his rib cage once was.Second time was a headshot at close range in same set of willows .the top of his skull literally exploded,just a humungous ragged crater above his eyewbrows.someone once told me these rounds were upped to 40gn and loaded with a "new'powder" but i never actually attempted to verify that.
  Anyone out there "in the know"that can give me some info on this.cheers all.tube.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Powerpoint and Cobra are made in the same factory but they arent the same ammo The projectiles are different shapes and weights and the accuracy standards are set higher in the Winchester brand ammo than the Kilwell hence the price difference

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Munter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Dec 17th, 2009 at 10:18am:
Powerpoint and Cobra are made in the same factory but they arent the same ammo The projectiles are different shapes and weights and the accuracy standards are set higher in the Winchester brand ammo than the Kilwell hence the price difference

Actually I just remembered something a mate of mine around the corner has a pack of the old Winchester rabbit ammo and when he looked at the cobras when I was showing him that it was Winchester  branded he said the projectiles were exactly the same shape as the ones on the rabbit ammo that used to be made by Winchester.

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys ,very interesting,if indeed it is just a case of rebranding,then those cobras should be just the bees knees.tube

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #14 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
oops f...up there by me.should read rabbitammo instead of cobrras.tube.

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #15 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
mudgripz wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 1:26am:
Now that aguila has disappeared -

Damn it!!!
That's some good ammo.

Does Handloaders still have Aguila for sale?
I saw that they were selling it by the box ($5.50) and the brick ($55) last time I was at the range (was a while ago though).

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 1:07am
Print Post  
No - asked club sec the other day and they have run out.

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Hopefully someone will bring some more in!

Tried some American eagle last night.
40gr round seemed ok on the bunnies.
Comes in 40rnd boes compared to the 50 or 100 of the other brands.
I suspect it could be made by Federal as it has a F stamped in the end.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Micksplace
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 12:37am
Print Post  
$65 ror brick of federal they all loose says 525 rounds but not counting them.

IP Logged

Toni

Reply #19 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Hello from Taranaki, Yes the Aguila was good.Dont give up on it.My local dealer runs small family business and has just secured new shipment of Mexican made High Speed Hollows in blue packets.Dont know the Brand it is being sold under but probably made in same plant.Plain no frills lead hollow point like winchester Diamond or our C.A.C.Bullets look very well formed and looking forward to securing some for testing.Price $65.00 Brick so other retailers should be similar.I will track down Brand name and get back to you. Best Wishes Toni.

IP Logged

debarcle

Reply #20 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
I used that Aquila and it was good but have gone to using Fiocchi super speed and that is bloody good stuff on hares an rabbits and reasonably priced

IP Logged

quiet1
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Have any of you guys here tried the American Stingers? Man they pack a whollop (i drop deer with them at good distance), the metal is almost 2mm longer than the standard winnie powerpoints that i use also, so obviously a larger charge. Great at a distance (1630 odd fps). I realise you were looking for cheap which they arent ranging from $15.95-$20 per 50 box, but was wondering if anyone else has used them and what they think of them, in relation to shooting varmints?

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #22 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
The super fast ammo is generally not that accurate.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

quiet1
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on Jan 21st, 2010 at 10:02pm:
The super fast ammo is generally not that accurate.

I have found this to be true, but only when swapping from one brand to another, Far from clued up on this but I think it changes the wax coating left behind by the other heads, and in my limited experience seems to take anywhere up to 5 or 6 shots to get it shooting straight again. Made the mistake of thinking it was my scope so tweaked it badly (thinking was doing the right thing) half a brick later and a discussion with an ex-British army sniper confirmed my mistake.  Using a .22LR helps a little and so long as I run a few through before going hunting will bring it always within an inch. but for varmints I guess that inch is crucial. I am way out of my depth here.

IP Logged

Sagepig
Forum Font

Reply #24 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 12:07am
Print Post  
We used to use those stingers when culling goats, great knock down, but I found them a bit inaccurate on rabbits etc as well.  We used them through ruger 10/22's and thought it may have been the short barrels.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #25 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
Have any of you guys here tried the American Stingers? Man they pack a whollop (i drop deer with them at good distance), the metal is almost 2mm longer than the standard winnie powerpoints that i use also, so obviously a larger charge. Great at a distance (1630 odd fps). I realise you were looking for cheap which they arent ranging from $15.95-$20 per 50 box, but was wondering if anyone else has used them and what they think of them, in relation to shooting varmints?

Yes they're just about all I use quiet1. Have shot numerous goats with them and a few deer. I've found them quite accurate through my winchester semi. They cycle well thats why I like them most. That cheaper stuff tends not to.

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Are we referring to the CCI stingers of yester year.I last used em 20=yr ago ,found enma mite savage on old old brer possumand definitely so on his cotton bummed relative.took Out one with a texas heart shot that not only enlarged its freckle somewhat but severed spine and popped engine romm through a largish hole in its chest.that bunny id not get eaten .let alone skinned;it was a bloody mess.If it is same ammo Ialways though those slugs were a little on trhe hard side.interesting all the same.tube

IP Logged

quiet1
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 2:28am
Print Post  
tube wrote on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 4:36am:
Are we referring to the CCI stingers of yester year.I last used em 20=yr ago ,found enma mite savage on old old brer possumand definitely so on his cotton bummed relative.took Out one with a texas heart shot that not only enlarged its freckle somewhat but severed spine and popped engine romm through a largish hole in its chest.that bunny id not get eaten .let alone skinned;it was a bloody mess.If it is same ammo Ialways though those slugs were a little on trhe hard side.interesting all the same.tube

Yep thats them CCI STINGER hypervelocity. 22 Long Rifle, copper-plated hollow point, 32 Grain, 1640FPS. Hard is right, brer rabbit wouldnt have known what had hit him. "OH NO" "Not in the briar patch" They can make a heck of a mess up close, at from 50m-100m+ i find they are good for rabbits, magpies, turkeys, possums etc. They are all that i use when on the deer leads, but if spotlighting for varmints i still prefer winny power points.

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #28 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 2:57am
Print Post  
A cobber of mine reckons he'd be righto and test the bloody things on one of defences new LAV's,except the reply might be a touch of overkill.
has many great ideas does my man ,some not so practical if hes been submerged too long in his Monteiths suds.reckons also can use a 12g to make a launcher for decoys come mallard season.his beeter half reckons shes close to inventing some divorce papaers ,which i think is very feasible.
   Yep often wnders what became of the stingers ,suprised to see em still beltin the crap out of staff.happy hunting.tube Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Dundee
Banned

Reply #29 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:55am
Print Post  
got a brick or box of federal and my rifle was on the gun rack on bike during a thunderstorm went too use the rifle and powder must of been
wet ,the first two shots didn,t go bang so dumped the rest of the mag.
65$ for 525 rounds.This is yankee ammo I think.

IP Logged

KScott_NZ
Forum Font

Reply #30 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Dundee wrote on Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:55am:
got a brick or box of federal and my rifle was on the gun rack on bike during a thunderstorm went too use the rifle and powder must of been
wet ,the first two shots didn,t go bang so dumped the rest of the mag.
65$ for 525 rounds.This is yankee ammo I think.

Yup, I had a box of Federal, it was more accurate to just chuck the ammo at the buggers rather than try to use the rifle.

I'm still very happy with CCI subs hollow points, with the Rev Rog suppressor on it's just a dog fart noise before bunny goes "hell why do I have a hole in my head ?". Mind you , the HM2 is doing more kills for me at the moment at longer range, it's nice to lay in the sun or shade and pick them off.

Both Aguila and CCI Stingers made too much noise for the animals in the other paddocks, farmer doesn't mind me shooting as long as I don't upset the livestock.

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #31 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 4:53am
Print Post  
probably as deadly as my mutts farts too.the winchester subs in my toz make tit sound like a  bit of smokers cough,altho at times i'd swear my air rifle was louder.probably just my senses tho.those rev supresors ,they seem to get a good rap.easy to maintain and good robust construction?regards tube.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #32 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 5:09am
Print Post  
CCI stinger can smash Ruger 1022's actions , it makes the bolt  recoil too fast , also that lightweight bullet starts out fast and slows down faster than the heavier ones , Federal make American Eagle ,

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #33 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 10:42am
Print Post  
cci subs are the ones i can reccommend..always accurate,quiet as and cycle my marlin semi every time..bloody good ammo..

IP Logged

Toni

Reply #34 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Hello from Taranaki,

Hello Mudgripz,
                         Just got that ammo.Was wrong,isn't plain lead but copper.Nice profile and very cleanly formed.Is sold as Fiocchi 38gr CPHP.Is Aguila with diff. headstamp(for marketing).Mightent be any diff to what you been using as Aguila,of same machines by look of it.Nice amount of lube, 'bout 1/2 of orig.stuff which was plastered with it.Never any probs.though.Anchultz 1441/42 B.A. loved it.Am about to test.25 yd range (on lawn,every home should have one).Benchrest withCaldwell Zero Max rest (modified rabbit ears) Is there a rifle type/model you would like me to test in.I have plenty of mates to get loans of whatever model.Will post results.Have to learn to do photos on this to log results.

I see Debarcle has had good results withFiocchi but not sure if he has realised they might be same rounds.Encouraging anyway.Price $65 brick so attractive at todays prices.S/be easy enough to source.Will let you know results soon as weather clears.Incidently tried Power Points again,never had any success with heaps of rifles that r good shooters.Tried mates Stirling 14 B.A.Highland High Speed shot 8mm total size,P.Points 7.5mm 4 shots.Those Stirling B.actions r nice but weighty,solid actions.Now i can use Couple boxes P.Points.I dont buy expensive stuff but worth try for sake of it.Other stuff works more consistently in my rifles at half the price.Besides were hunters aern't we not shooters,just stalk in closer. Lot of satisfaction in that.
    Will be back in touch.   Best Wishes Toni.

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 7:07am
Print Post  
Hello Toni

Have also tested the Fiocchi and aware it is an aguila product. Performs very much like aguila superextra. Very slightly less accurate and very small difference in point of impact - but a very good round. It is possible the differences could be due to different batches, but I suspect its a very similar but slightly different load.

After testing it alongside several other hunting ammos in 6 rifles, can confirm this Fiocchi hv shot the best groups in 5 of the 6 rifles. That's a very good result - better than the powerpoint I tried. Also shot 50+ bunnies the other night and it is great in the field - accurate and with good smack.

Be interested in your further experiments.

IP Logged

Toni

Reply #36 - Feb 3rd, 2010 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Hello from Taranaki,
      Hello Mudgripz.Thank You for reply.Saw your thread RE. Aguila ammo and your tests.A 1.This is a great way to enjoy rimfires.You had made the connection,good one.Still learning to use these P.C.s so might be talking riddles if I haven't caught up with latest communications.Will get a mate to suss me on posting photos so can send results.Showed target to sports shop guy the other day.Was Highland Subsonics in Toz single shot.I had pillar bedded kingscrew and replaced woodscrew at back of action with engineers screw going into 4 nuts glued together.Releaved action and barrel.Group (3 shots) was one hole.Put new round in hole, turned target over and round wouldn't fall out.Can't get much tighter than that.Shop guy accused me of drilling hole.Don't sound much of a sport does he? Wonder what he shoots like?Used Toz other day to get five 3/4 grown rabbits.All perfect head shots not a mark on them.Some shots 40 yards standing,so holding off the age factor ,touch wood. Cleaned,washed and dried and delivered to French visitor to N.Z.He was missing tastes of home and couldn't get game anywhere.Can't speak French but wished him Bon Appetit' anyway!
                   Best Wishes Toni.

IP Logged

keen student

Reply #37 - Feb 17th, 2010 at 3:25am
Print Post  
Bought a box of .22 expert the other day. $60 or thereabouts. Haven't tried them yet but they a type of Winchester. Maybe I am missing something here?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards