Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) cheap aussie powerpoints? (Read 6980 times)
Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Re: cheap aussie powerpoints?
Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:49am
Print Post  
mudgripz wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:26pm:
Now that aguila has disappeared -

Damn it!!!
That's some good ammo.

Does Handloaders still have Aguila for sale?
I saw that they were selling it by the box ($5.50) and the brick ($55) last time I was at the range (was a while ago though).

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
No - asked club sec the other day and they have run out.

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #17 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Hopefully someone will bring some more in!

Tried some American eagle last night.
40gr round seemed ok on the bunnies.
Comes in 40rnd boes compared to the 50 or 100 of the other brands.
I suspect it could be made by Federal as it has a F stamped in the end.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Micksplace
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
$65 ror brick of federal they all loose says 525 rounds but not counting them.

IP Logged

Toni

Reply #19 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 1:27am
Print Post  
Hello from Taranaki, Yes the Aguila was good.Dont give up on it.My local dealer runs small family business and has just secured new shipment of Mexican made High Speed Hollows in blue packets.Dont know the Brand it is being sold under but probably made in same plant.Plain no frills lead hollow point like winchester Diamond or our C.A.C.Bullets look very well formed and looking forward to securing some for testing.Price $65.00 Brick so other retailers should be similar.I will track down Brand name and get back to you. Best Wishes Toni.

IP Logged

debarcle

Reply #20 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 9:15am
Print Post  
I used that Aquila and it was good but have gone to using Fiocchi super speed and that is bloody good stuff on hares an rabbits and reasonably priced

IP Logged

quiet1
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Have any of you guys here tried the American Stingers? Man they pack a whollop (i drop deer with them at good distance), the metal is almost 2mm longer than the standard winnie powerpoints that i use also, so obviously a larger charge. Great at a distance (1630 odd fps). I realise you were looking for cheap which they arent ranging from $15.95-$20 per 50 box, but was wondering if anyone else has used them and what they think of them, in relation to shooting varmints?

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #22 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 11:02am
Print Post  
The super fast ammo is generally not that accurate.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

quiet1
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
MassiveAttack wrote on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 11:02am:
The super fast ammo is generally not that accurate.

I have found this to be true, but only when swapping from one brand to another, Far from clued up on this but I think it changes the wax coating left behind by the other heads, and in my limited experience seems to take anywhere up to 5 or 6 shots to get it shooting straight again. Made the mistake of thinking it was my scope so tweaked it badly (thinking was doing the right thing) half a brick later and a discussion with an ex-British army sniper confirmed my mistake.  Using a .22LR helps a little and so long as I run a few through before going hunting will bring it always within an inch. but for varmints I guess that inch is crucial. I am way out of my depth here.

IP Logged

Sagepig
Forum Font

Reply #24 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
We used to use those stingers when culling goats, great knock down, but I found them a bit inaccurate on rabbits etc as well.  We used them through ruger 10/22's and thought it may have been the short barrels.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #25 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Have any of you guys here tried the American Stingers? Man they pack a whollop (i drop deer with them at good distance), the metal is almost 2mm longer than the standard winnie powerpoints that i use also, so obviously a larger charge. Great at a distance (1630 odd fps). I realise you were looking for cheap which they arent ranging from $15.95-$20 per 50 box, but was wondering if anyone else has used them and what they think of them, in relation to shooting varmints?

Yes they're just about all I use quiet1. Have shot numerous goats with them and a few deer. I've found them quite accurate through my winchester semi. They cycle well thats why I like them most. That cheaper stuff tends not to.

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #26 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Are we referring to the CCI stingers of yester year.I last used em 20=yr ago ,found enma mite savage on old old brer possumand definitely so on his cotton bummed relative.took Out one with a texas heart shot that not only enlarged its freckle somewhat but severed spine and popped engine romm through a largish hole in its chest.that bunny id not get eaten .let alone skinned;it was a bloody mess.If it is same ammo Ialways though those slugs were a little on trhe hard side.interesting all the same.tube

IP Logged

quiet1
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
tube wrote on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 5:36pm:
Are we referring to the CCI stingers of yester year.I last used em 20=yr ago ,found enma mite savage on old old brer possumand definitely so on his cotton bummed relative.took Out one with a texas heart shot that not only enlarged its freckle somewhat but severed spine and popped engine romm through a largish hole in its chest.that bunny id not get eaten .let alone skinned;it was a bloody mess.If it is same ammo Ialways though those slugs were a little on trhe hard side.interesting all the same.tube

Yep thats them CCI STINGER hypervelocity. 22 Long Rifle, copper-plated hollow point, 32 Grain, 1640FPS. Hard is right, brer rabbit wouldnt have known what had hit him. "OH NO" "Not in the briar patch" They can make a heck of a mess up close, at from 50m-100m+ i find they are good for rabbits, magpies, turkeys, possums etc. They are all that i use when on the deer leads, but if spotlighting for varmints i still prefer winny power points.

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #28 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
A cobber of mine reckons he'd be righto and test the bloody things on one of defences new LAV's,except the reply might be a touch of overkill.
has many great ideas does my man ,some not so practical if hes been submerged too long in his Monteiths suds.reckons also can use a 12g to make a launcher for decoys come mallard season.his beeter half reckons shes close to inventing some divorce papaers ,which i think is very feasible.
   Yep often wnders what became of the stingers ,suprised to see em still beltin the crap out of staff.happy hunting.tube Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Dundee
Banned

Reply #29 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
got a brick or box of federal and my rifle was on the gun rack on bike during a thunderstorm went too use the rifle and powder must of been
wet ,the first two shots didn,t go bang so dumped the rest of the mag.
65$ for 525 rounds.This is yankee ammo I think.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards