Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) cheap aussie powerpoints? (Read 6044 times)
mudgripz
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

cheap aussie powerpoints?
Dec 12th, 2009 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Now that aguila has disappeared - and what an excellent hunting round it was - does anyone know of a good source for powerpoint aussie made hv at a good price.

Seems to retail at round $85-90, and the best deal I've managed to locate is $75. Wonder what Wrightsons charge for it?

IP Logged

Munter
Ex Member

Re: cheap aussie powerpoints?
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 1:55am
Print Post  
Kilwell cobra HV is winchester ammo and much cheaper than the stuff in winchester boxes not sure if it is the aussie stuff but they definitely do the damage.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Best deal I can find is $69.50 per brick.

Go into CRT and weasel the price down. They normally retail to the general Public at CRT for $78.20 per brick, if you buy bulk you may get to weasel the price down.

If you are a CRT Member you will automatically get it reduced down too.

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

mudgripz
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:31am
Print Post  
Rabbithunter - who are CRT - not familiar with this.

Also munter - what do you pay for the kilwell cobra? Someone else mentioned it was ok. Can you have a look at a pkt and see where it is made? I know H&F will have it but does anyone else give good prices for it?

Thanks.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:41am
Print Post  
mudgripz wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:31am:

CRT is Combined Rural Traders. They are a farming supply store throughout the South Island.

Drop into the Culverden (Main Road - opposite Golf Course) one next time your up this way, they are probably the ones to get you a decent price as they have a number of shooters up here on the "discounted" rate.

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

Munter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 8:51am
Print Post  
mudgripz wrote on Dec 12th, 2009 at 2:31am:

Also munter - what do you pay for the kilwell cobra? Someone else mentioned it was ok. Can you have a look at a pkt and see where it is made? I know H&F will have it but does anyone else give good prices for it?

Thanks.

It is around $80 per brick but that is H&F price you can get it cheaper if you shop around and from memory I think you can also get a bit of a discount from H&F if you are a NZDA member (but don't quote me on that but check and find out) if you are buying individual 50 packs of the kilwell it does work out cheaper as winchester is about $9 per pack compared to the $8 you pay for kilwell. Hopefully aguila will come back.

EDIT: Just went down to the garage and had a look at a pack of the kilwell cobra ammo and it says made in australia(oli australia limited who is winchester aussie) so yup it is aussie made winchester ammo Cool

IP Logged

keen fella
Forum Senior

Luck has nothing to do
with it.

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
kilwell .22 ammo is made in the Australian Winchester factory.  The brass is stamped super x and the only difference between winchester .22 ammo and kilwell is that the kilwell is 37.5 gr instead of 40gr.  Better buying than winchester and the rabbits deffently don't seem to mind.

Hi Everyone, I'm Alister and I'm and addict......a fishing and hunting addict !

IP Logged

apm83

}>)))@>

Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:08am
Print Post  
Not that I want to hijack, but I've switched from the Kilwell (powerpt) to the Remmington Cyclone, due to price - no problems either.
$60 or just under per brick suits me!

IP Logged

Munter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:26am
Print Post  
apm83 wrote on Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:08am:
Not that I want to hijack, but I've switched from the Kilwell (powerpt) to the Remmington Cyclone, due to price - no problems either.

Wait till you shoot a possum with it I used remington 22 ammo once and never again especially when I had the bastard get up and run off just as I was about to grab it and pluck it

IP Logged

apm83

}>)))@>

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 1:28am
Print Post  
Quote:
apm83 wrote on Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:08am:

Wait till you shoot a possum with it I used remington 22 ammo once and never again especially when I had the bastard get up and run off just as I was about to grab it and pluck it

Interesting.
I shoot a lot of small game, and not had anything run away with it yet....

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Just out of interest guys is winchester rabbitammo /dynapoint still around.i used both in my Stirling And Toz .22s on rabbits and possums and it was extremely rare that more than one shot was needed.In fact dynapoint was diabolical at times.I once remeber bowling a possum by firing one directly beneath him as he sat looking down snarling at me.
  He hit the ground with a bloody great hole where the left side of his rib cage once was.Second time was a headshot at close range in same set of willows .the top of his skull literally exploded,just a humungous ragged crater above his eyewbrows.someone once told me these rounds were upped to 40gn and loaded with a "new'powder" but i never actually attempted to verify that.
  Anyone out there "in the know"that can give me some info on this.cheers all.tube.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Powerpoint and Cobra are made in the same factory but they arent the same ammo The projectiles are different shapes and weights and the accuracy standards are set higher in the Winchester brand ammo than the Kilwell hence the price difference

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Munter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Dec 17th, 2009 at 10:18am:
Powerpoint and Cobra are made in the same factory but they arent the same ammo The projectiles are different shapes and weights and the accuracy standards are set higher in the Winchester brand ammo than the Kilwell hence the price difference

Actually I just remembered something a mate of mine around the corner has a pack of the old Winchester rabbit ammo and when he looked at the cobras when I was showing him that it was Winchester  branded he said the projectiles were exactly the same shape as the ones on the rabbit ammo that used to be made by Winchester.

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys ,very interesting,if indeed it is just a case of rebranding,then those cobras should be just the bees knees.tube

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #14 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
oops f...up there by me.should read rabbitammo instead of cobrras.tube.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards