Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Poll
Poll Question: Which tent should I buy?

« Created by: Battson on: Dec 3rd, 2009 at 1:34pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What tent - Olympus or Minaret? (Read 9372 times)
Battson
Forum Font

7mm RemMag

What tent - Olympus or Minaret?
Dec 3rd, 2009 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
So the Macpac Christmas sale has tempted me - I need a new 2 man tent.

Olympus or Minaret?
One looks a bit on the heavy and expensive side, and the other looks a tad flimsy. Both would probably do, I want it for low level alpine hunting and bush hunting, but I'd want it to outlast a storm on the tops too.

The other option is just to use my fly with a bivi bag, for a much lighter solution, but a much wetter and colder one come the roar.  Undecided

Advice please?

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Re: What tent - Olympus or Minaret?
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Hi Battson

I'm not personally familar with those tents, they look pretty good online. Have you had a gander at Kathmandu as they have a big sale on too. I've got a 2 man 'mountain' tent from there I got a few years back and its very good, strong and extremely weather proof. 60% off, can't go wrong.

Cheers,
Josh

IP Logged

ThomasW
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
The Olympus offers more room but is heavier.  The minaret is a sound tent which should fit your requirements.

Bivouac are also on sale at the moment, a few of their Exped Tents could be worth a look.

IP Logged

Spanners
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
IIRC when I was looking last week, one is seam sealed, the other is not.

IP Logged

lowbox
Forum Senior

Asleep on the couch

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
The Minaret is great but ... cosy. Fine with the girlfriend  Grin

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Are you looking for someone to justify the bucks that you really want to spend?

If so, yeah they are great

IP Logged

mickey

mmmmmm beeeeeeeeeeeeer

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
another tent you may want to consider is the fairydown plateau, a very solid tent Smiley

IP Logged

blacksheep

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 9:05am
Print Post  
mickey wrote on Dec 3rd, 2009 at 9:48pm:
another tent you may want to consider is the fairydown plateau, a very solid tent Smiley

you'll find it is now the macpac plateau  Wink same design etc as the before, but we decided to run with one brand in the tent range only. kinda a different direction from a minaret/olympus though- certainly the choice for the gnarliest of weather, but not the same flexibility the multipitch tunnels offer.

**disclosure**blacksheep=moutonnoir&moutonnoir=macpac&fairydown..I am Cam from Macpac

IP Logged

Garret
Forum Senior

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 10:50am
Print Post  
Battson wrote on Dec 3rd, 2009 at 1:34pm:
So the Macpac Christmas sale has tempted me - I need a new 2 man tent.

Advice please?

Grin the need part - that statement reminds me of me  Roll Eyes
My 2 cents - if you really need a tent buy the larger version.
If you are ever in a situation where weight is that critical you can always revert back to the bivy bag / fly option. Meantime you're fit and strong (judging by places you've taken pictures of while hunting) and a bit of extra weight won't hurt you (How much does that cannon of yours weigh again?). I had an old Fairydown Plateau for years - it was absolutely bomb proof, seam sealed and a great place to spend a few nights away in, especially when the weather turned to crap, because there was just enough room for a couple of people to read and relax without feeling like they were trying to hump your leg the whole time. IMO  if you're prepared to carry a tent carry a bit more weight and get a slightly larger / stronger one. My Plateau finally succumbed to UV damage and tears after 15 great years of bush, beach and semi alpine use.

IP Logged

stu#71
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
I have a Minaret. No complaints so far.  It's got plenty of room for one person, would be "snug" with 2 - probably forcing a pack outside.  There's a small "vestibule" area under the fly at the entrance tho'.
I usually leave the inner attached to the fly so you just stick the 2 poles in the sleeves and lift it about until you find a flat bit (!) to pitch.
4 pegs for the guy ropes and 4 more to pull the end out and your done!
Some nice features like pockets inside for the torch and a clip for keys, and coloured marked holes for the poles to slip into etc.
Not sure on exact weight but it slips across the top of my pack no problems.
So it's "comfort as" for one, snug for 2
Hope this helps!

IP Logged

Coxy
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Yeah its bloody hard when buying tents some how I have ended up with 4  Grin going to chuck a couple on here now im over as I dont need them.
I have a new MSR carbon reflex 2 man tent as it weighs something silly like 1.5kg, strong enough for most weather but only rated to three season but it weighs nothing. They are also handy for summer as you can use them with the footprint and without the inner so a very light good bivy.
The olympus looks good for that price its not much weight if there 2 of you carrying it but wouldnt want to carry it by yourself.

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Don't buy online.

They all look great online but the fact is, go to a reputable shop and ask if you can put up a demo model. Find out how easy it is to put up, how heavy does it feel to you. Can you put it up in the dark or windy conditions, can you put it up quickly??

I agree with Stu#71 on the Minaret. I went with him at the weekend and although my "2man" tent only has a single hoop duraluminum pole I thought it would be easier to put up. If it would have been windy or wet I'd have struggled. His Olympus is a lot more stable and he was able to put it up very quickly.

You get what you pay for and if you want a tent that maybe only use a couple of times a year then sub $200 is fine. If you want a reliable, regular use tent then the olympus is good. If you want to go alpine then go for the top of the range. It will save you from being wet, blown away and possibly save your life.

Oh and a good warranty counts.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

Alpshunta
Forum Senior

Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Whats wrong with the ole kathmandu battson? (i remebered you have one coz i have one the same) bugered already is it

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Just tried out a new Exped Vela I Extreme Tent from Bivouac last night.
Totally pissed down, and blew like buggery
Its a One person, plenty of room, can cook under the fly vestibule bit weighs about 1.5-75 kgs. easy to assemble.
Got a bit wet at one end, not sure had the fly rigged up right. Pitched it in the dark in pouring rain, but was simple to erect, just mislaid a few pegs!
They are on a special now, i think. or were.

IP Logged

Alex B

Reply #14 - Jan 5th, 2010 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
I got a Macpac Stella, 2 man tent, bit on the cosy side.  Weighs in at 2kg when you got the entire tent packed up.
Best tent I have bought, as long as its pitched properly, pitched in the right direction, it will handle very high winds, has a small vestibule for cooking, boots, pack etc.
Best part about it is you can get rid of the inner, and just take the fly and poles etc for lightweight fly camping, or just pitch the inner if its real hot, or pitch the fly quickly if it pissing down then attach the inner from the inside, or pitch both the inner and fly in one hit.  With a bit of practice I can get it pitched in about 5-10 mins.
Only down side is that its a bit bulky and takes up quite a bit of in your pack with all your other crap.  I would say around 10l when packed.

I just happened to know someone who knew someone else and I got real cheap, it was one of the first samples from macpac's offshore tent factory, and I have to say, its awesome quality!! Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards