Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) NIMRODS pack contents (Read 73817 times)
NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

NIMRODS pack contents
Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Lots of emails over the last year asking what I take in my pack on an extended walkabout hunting trip has prompted me to post up an article on the subject  Smiley

But firstly a few tips  Wink
This is mainly for bush hunting trips. ie, Ureweras, Kawekas, Ruahines, Tararuas, West Coast (get my drift / ) with maybe short stints on the tops or traveling over the open tops to get into the next catchment  Wink  Tahr hunting trips are a different kettle of fish entirely Wink

Forget about big thick heavy hunting coats/jackets  Huh  I for one overheat in them and find the layering system far superior as far as performance and comfort go. Plus they take up way too much room in your pack  Angry The exception may be if you set out knowing it's going to be a pissing wet freezing weekend so want a silent waterproof hunting coat. Then I may take a Swazi Wapiti coat  Roll Eyes But this winter I've had a 100% strike rate on wet days using a noisy Gortex coat that only weighs a quarter of my Swazi  Shocked

Treat your sleeping bag as a part of your spare dry clothes & keep it dry at all costs  Smiley

Use a pack liner

Keep all gear as light as you can  Wink Ditch all packaging before packing for the trip  Wink
Measure items like porridge, brown sugar, milk powder etc into serving sizes using ziplock plastic
bags. Only carry what you need.

24 hours of food should only weigh 1Kg  Shocked 800grams is all you really need & you can go down to 600grams per day if you choose the right food. Pre portion everything before you pack Wink

Dont be scared to use a fire for cooking to supplement the fuel supply  Wink\ On trips longer than a weekend I use fires a lot  Grin
If you're worried about spooking animals with your smoke then your either camping too close to your hunting or hunting too close to your camp hoping for that perk animal  Grin but if it really worries you then no problems, just carry more fuel  Smiley

Sort your gear out by catergary  Wink
Sleeping & accommodation
Cooking & food
Hunting gear
Personal & incidentals

The one big tip is that your gear for a weekend trip is exactly the same as your gear for a 10 day trip.....or visa versa  Smiley
It's only the expendables that increase on the bigger trips. ie food, toilet paper, rifle oil etc  Smiley

Sleeping & accommodation
Sleeping bag
ground sheet & thermarest
tent fly
camp footwear
Beanie & mitts
Goretex raincoat
Dry bag with spare clothes ( Woolen singlet, long sleeve microfleece top, underpants & socks )
Plus of course....the clothes your wearing  Grin

Hunting gear
Pikau
knife  & ammo belt
camera
PLB
binos
water bladder with sipper tube
rifle cleaning kit ( 1st yellow tin)
first aid kit ( 2nd yellow tin)
torch
the pencil case holds.... Knife sharpening steel, spare lighter, rifle sling, nylon cord, Survival bag, spare compass & whistle, torch batteries, fire lighting rubber, spare ultra light knife & perhaps one or two other small items (army can opener etc)
I don't use a GPS but you would include one here if you do  Grin

Contents of first aid kit
My first aid kit is only designed for major trauma. Primarily to stop major bleeding  Smiley
Any injury that stops you from walking out is going to be a biggie  Sad
A first aid kit to cover all scenarios would be far to bulky  Undecided and any minor injury wont stop you walking/hobbling out. A small cut or splinter though annoying, can be put up with & wont prevent
you from getting out of the bush under your own steam  Wink
Broken bones can't be treated by a small first Aid kit  Cry but stopping the bleeding from a compound fracture can be  Smiley and depending of course on where the break is you may still be able to walk out  Smiley
Just a note here, unless you have a mate with you to do it, splinting your own limbs is a difficult job  Sad
Like wise, there's little you can do in the field for a bullet wound except stop the bleeding  Cry
So my first Aid kit is designed to stop major bleeding to allow me to walk out without bleeding to death, or to at least retain enough red stuff until help arrives  Roll Eyes and to do so in the most comfortable way it contains lots of Panadeine & anti inflammatorys
So its wound dressing, Plastic electrical tape to bind it securely in place, Voltaren & Panadeine  Grin Grin Oh yeah, and some antiseptic cream to ward off infection
I'm not Rambo  Roll Eyes so there's no needle & thread  Grin
Take a look at any feild kit an infantry Grunt carries, it's primarily based around stopping you from leaking and making the hurt go away, or at least tolerable until your free ride gets there Smiley and if it's not serious enough for a free ride your told to keep on soldiering on Grin

The 4 main ingredients, but all condensed into a waterproof container  Grin

I'd probably have 2 full packets of Panedeine in it to get me by until the experts arrive. Note: taken at the recommended dosage over the recommended time frame......repeated as necessary. Not all at once!
And don't forget to class the PLB as part of your arsenal in the First Aid kit  Grin Just make sure you always have it with you  Wink

Cooking & food
gas & cooker (with foil wind shield)
Billy (with chain) & dixie (or fry pan)
breakfast (porridge, milk powder & brown sugar)
Main evening meal ( Pasta & sauce, dehy mince & veges)
Snacks (Traveling snacks, snacks while hunting & lunch) in big plastic bag
plastic mug & spoon
Tea bags & Berroca
Pot scrubber
The food in this photo is for 24 hours & weighs just under 1kg (not including the Berroca)

Contents of lunch & snack bag
Dried bananas & peaches on the plastic bag
Venison jerky in small zip lock bag
Mixed raw nuts in small zip lock bag
Sunsweet individually wrapped prunes
Nut bars & muesli bars & One square meal bar

Personals & incidentals
Map & compass with whistle (dont forget glasses if you need them for map reading)
pen & Pencil (pens don't work if things get a tad damp)
Film cases hold Voltaren & Panadine
bike tube for firelighting
bog paper
toothbrush & toothpaste
Permit & hut tickets & nylon cord
Lots of clean plastic bags for your meat (keeps your pack & gear clean) but take it out of the plastic once you get home  Wink

From about this time of year on you'll want something fly proof for your meat Wink This is made out of mosquito netting and weighs about 200g. Cost was about $21 and that was enough materials to make 3 bags

And there you have it, just keep adding 800g to 1kg food for each day your going for
For trips over 3 days I throw in 250g of dripping/Chefade, more bog paper & thats about it really
Remember, "a heavy pack is full of many light things"
Oh yeah, & not forgetting the Pack & bang stick

Remember the "good old days" ?
We didn't carry a tent fly...... The huts were never full  Smiley
We didnt carry billies.............The huts were always stocked with them Smiley
We didn't carry cookers.........The huts always had open fires & plenty of dry firewood. Anyway, savaloys were easy to cook......if we bothered to cook them at all Grin

When I'm heading out after a successful trip I prefer to carry my venison out on the bone with the skin still on it. This helps keep it cleaner and lets me hang it in my beer fridge for 10 days without it drying out  Smiley

I put a leg down inside each side of my pack, inside a fresh plastic rubbish bag each, and cram all my gear down in the space between them. A 65 litre pack will handle this easily. Any more than 1 deer then I have to bone it all out Roll Eyes

[Edit: added first aid kit contents -- blackbunny]
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2010 at 7:56am by blackbunny »  

Better to Burn out than it is to Rust

IP Logged

deerstalker
Forum Font

Re: NIMRODS pack contents
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:23am
Print Post  
great post Nimrod would have saved me alot of sweat and hard work to see a list like this when i first began hunting, some of the things that i used to take into the bush were rediculous  Grin  its definatly something that comes with experience, ive managed to get my pack contents down to something pretty simmilar to yours which is spot on for your average fly camping bush trip

IP Logged

Raging Bull
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Very informative Nimrod, thank you.  

What model macpac is that? also, nice bang stick.

Brilliant post!  Smiley

IP Logged

tramper
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Savaloys Years ago used to have them for breakfast and dinner when in the hills.  Must start taking them again.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.  I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.  I shall use my time." -Jack London

IP Logged

Grunt Futtick
Donor Member

Adventure is the opposite
of television.

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Loving the Erinmore Nimrod.  Grin

Hunting wild animals on Department of Conservation administered land during the hours of darkness (½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise) is prohibited.

IP Logged

sika8
Forum Font

Work to live, not live
to work, stuff work go
hunt

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Top write up Cool you forgot about a alarmclock for those of us who find it hard toget out of the pit Wink Grin Grin

A CRAP DAY OUT HUNTING IS STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Raging Bull wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:27am:
What model macpac is that?

Macpac is a Ravine.......no longer made so I brought another one when I heard they were stopping making it and it's hanging in the shed for when the 1st one wears out  Grin but it's not showing any signs of wear yet after 5-6 hard years  Cool

IP Logged

Sako75
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:55am
Print Post  
What do you do for cleaning the dixie after porridge when not much water about?
I have been working on the pasta meals for dinner and breakfast by heating in the billy and using the water for a cuppa after. That way no mess. Also got a mix of milo and milk powder in a ziplock bags as well as Macona coffee and sugar sachets.

As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder. 
- John Glenn

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Cheers  Cool I love these sorts of posts, always learn something new, get some new ideas Smiley

What's in the pouch on the belt? And Berocca - what for?  Huh

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Steve
Forum Font

.338 EDGE

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Great post Nimrod Cool I use the minature soy sauce bottles you get with sushi for the toothpaste.

Any hints on best recipe for the dehy mince?

IP Logged

Model Seven
Forum Font

FishNhunt - Much more
interesting than the
missus

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Spot on mate, very helpful Cool

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

IP Logged

Antler carver

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Awesome thread
Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Very good post Nimrod it will be a great help to new, and not so new hunters, alot of thought and years of experience has obviously gone into that.
I carry a part roll of insulation tape for the end of the rifle barrel, track marking and other uses. And also a needle to dig out prickles in with your first aid gear are about the only other things i might suggest  Smiley

IP Logged

.22-250 Everything
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
What a great post NIMROD, this is truely awesome and a great resource. Thanks very much

.22-250Rem Perfect for rabbits to reds

IP Logged

MEB
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Nice post Nimrod. It's good to see what experienced hunters deem as essential and how they pack it all. Cool

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
IP Logged

blaser
Forum Font

Barnes bullets are best

Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Excellent thread Nimrod, have learnt a few new tips, Thanks.

To keen to own a pointer!!!!!!

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #16 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Sako75 wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:55am:
What do you do for cleaning the dixie after porridge when not much water about?

Very good question  Embarrassed..... I've overlooked including a long handled pot scrubber in the photo's. Goes with me everywhere. I'll rectify that right now
Clean the pot straight away before everything becomes dried & crusty or if waters not a problem let it soak while your out hunting & it will scrub out nice and easy  Wink

In the Summer months or if water is going to be a real big problem then i'll substitute the porridge with Breakfast Meusli & milk powder  Smiley

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Oscar wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:55am:
What's in the pouch on the belt? And Berocca - what for?  Huh

A $2 shop disposable poncho ( works in conjuntion with the survival tube if your lost or injured)... Foul weather sems to be the most popular time for getting lost  Grin
A 1300 degree refilable bomb proof, waterproof & windproof lighter
More firelighting rubber ( fire is your biggest friend when lost or injured  and cold & wet )
A second small & basic first aid kit to suppliment the one in my Pikau
A spare key to my 4x4

Berroca is just to replace a few basic vitamins & minerals after exercising. You could use a sports drink like "Replace"

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Great post Nimrod!
I'm off to sort my pack contents out properly now......

How big is your pack? 45L?

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

Raging Bull
Forum Font

Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
NIMROD wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:32am:
Raging Bull wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:27am:
What model macpac is that?

Macpac is a Ravine.......no longer made so I brought another one when I heard they were stopping making it and it's hanging in the shed for when the 1st one wears out  Grin but it's not showing any signs of wear yet after 5-6 hard years  Cool

Good thinking! You probably wont need to use the new one for a good 4-5 years though Grin

I've recently brought a macpac cascade 75L, the only issue I have with it is there are far too many adjustment straps... that leaves a string of long tails hanging off my back.  Nothing that a bit of ducktape or thick rubber bad/clips wont fix though  Wink.

Looks like this, but with a matte canvas material (much likes yours) and the side panels are dark grey/charcoal colour not blue.  

http://www.unterwegs.biz/shop_pictures/96978_0.jpg  

IP Logged

RugerShooter

I Love To hunt

Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Now if i had seen this first it could of saved me shitloads of money buying stuff everybody said i had to have.

Great Post Nimrod

"If it looks broken, and if it doesn't perform as it should then your obviously not kicking it hard enough"

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #21 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
i like the heavy polathene groundsheet nimrod, lighter and less bulky than the small tarp i use, i will be updating my kit with that. what sort of lighter are you using? i find the bics loose there gas in my pouch cause the thingy gets pushed down etc.

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #22 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
chris wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 11:11pm:
what sort of lighter are you using? i find the bics loose there gas in my pouch cause the thingy gets pushed down etc.

I just use Bic disposable lighters for everyday things but the one in my belt pouch is a $50 jobby, refillable & throws a 1300 degree C blue flame that you can solder with. Also windproof & to a degree, waterproof  Smiley
Without a doubt it's THE best bit of gear in my survival kit  Wink

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #23 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
that sounds handy, were did you score that wee beasty? brand?

IP Logged

Huntfish
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 12:34am
Print Post  
RugerShooter wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 10:43pm:
Now if i had seen this first it could of saved me shitloads of money buying stuff everybody said i had to have.

Great Post Nimrod

Grin

You are right tho which is why it has been stickied Wink

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #25 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 3:14am
Print Post  
NIMROD wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 11:20pm:
chris wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 11:11pm:
what sort of lighter are you using? i find the bics loose there gas in my pouch cause the thingy gets pushed down etc.

I just use Bic disposable lighters for everyday things but the one in my belt pouch is a $50 jobby, refillable & throws a 1300 degree C blue flame that you can solder with. Also windproof & to a degree, waterproof  Smiley
Without a doubt it's THE best bit of gear in my survival kit  Wink

chris wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 11:23pm:

I think i know what your talking about, but have you got a pic of it, cause that sounds like a bloody good idea Nimrod Smiley

[Edit: fixed quote -- blackbunny]
« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2009 at 5:16am by blackbunny »  

IP Logged

RugerShooter

I Love To hunt

Reply #26 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 3:26am
Print Post  

Here is one of the jet lighters.

"If it looks broken, and if it doesn't perform as it should then your obviously not kicking it hard enough"

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #27 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 3:49am
Print Post  

I recently tried to get another one but the distributor/importer is going through a marriage break up and not bringing any more into the country. There are other similar types of lighters out there
though.

IP Logged

taranaki hunter
Forum Senior

Reply #28 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 4:24am
Print Post  
Cheers Nimrod This is a really helpful post, there are a few things I think ill have to add now that should be essentials, cheers for that Smiley

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RugerShooter

I Love To hunt

Reply #29 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 4:40am
Print Post  
Here is a micro butane torch from dick smiths for $40.00

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4aac769d0172b1882743c0a87f3b0758/Product/View/T110...

IP Logged

Alpshunta
Forum Senior

Reply #30 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:05am
Print Post  
When using a billy over an open fire, does the black charcoal that forms on the outside make a mess in your pack? Huh

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #31 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Alpshunta wrote on Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:05am:
When using a billy over an open fire, does the black charcoal that forms on the outside make a mess in your pack? Huh

Roll Eyes Think green........recycle one of those super market plastic bags  Wink

Incidently,  a blackened billy will heat/boil faster than a clean shiny one  Wink.....plus you can put your fingers under a well blackened billy to tip it for pouring without getting them burnt  Wink Wink Wink

If you want a really liteweight couple of days then this is all you need for a hot evening meal & a
couple of brew ups  Smiley

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #32 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Thats what Ive been using lately.

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #33 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:35am
Print Post  
mick hunter wrote on Sep 13th, 2009 at 5:30am:
Thats what Ive been using lately.

Yeah,  you guys who've been hunting off Clements with your gear on your back then camping wherever darkness overtakes you have got the quick, lightweight overnighter trips well sussed  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

MADNESS,
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Sure have  Wink

Not just in there though I hunt like that most places I go

every thing you need for a couple of nights out ( sleeping bag, thermo rest, cooker, tin cup, camera, knife, food and 3l camalbac)

I do the same during the roar for up to 11 days at a time just need to carry a bit more food in a 35l huntec pack
fits every thing I need (sleeping bag, fly/poles/pegs, thermo rest, cooker, tin cup, camera, knife, spare clothing food and 3l camalbac)

IP Logged

Daggs
Forum Font

The good life

Reply #35 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 8:38am
Print Post  
My lunch an my torch....no dehydrated tucker or hard ground for me, i just keep walking thru the night towards my lovely posturepedic bed !!

Seriously tho Nimrod good thread an advice.

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #36 - Sep 13th, 2009 at 9:08am
Print Post  
I've recently found a youghurt and muesli mix done by Vogels. Nice feed and you just add an equal amount of water.
Last time I tried those flat white coffee mixes which worked well enough.
Can go for an extended trip with just the cup, cooker and desert spoon. Dont need any milk either.

IP Logged

BC
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 3:53am
Print Post  
Good stuff, and new ideas.

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #38 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Awesome thread NIMROD.  Cool Cool

May I suggest that you detail the contents of your first aid kit as well? We have had many threads in the past asking what people should have in theirs.

You probably won't be able to edit your original post now so just tack it on the end and I'll move it. Same goes for anything else you want to add. If I forget, just PM me to remind me.

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

tramper
Donor Member

Reply #39 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 5:39am
Print Post  
I like the individually wrapped prunes it may stop me eating them all at once, also the film cases with Voltaren & Panadine

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.  I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.  I shall use my time." -Jack London

IP Logged

Aunty
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Forum Slapper

Reply #40 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 6:09am
Print Post  
great post

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

Reply #41 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Thank you for this post. Very helpful. Should shave a couple of kg's off my load.

So many CATS , so FEW recipes!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a Stalker..Well she's not EXACTLY my girlfriend, yet!
IP Logged

fat belly frog
Forum Font

Reply #42 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Thanks Nimrod,

What survial tube/bag are you using.  I have one of the orange MSC ones and its pretty bulky, couldnt see it fitting in the pencil case.

Cheers

"I believe in an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out."

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #43 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 7:14am
Print Post  
fat belly frog wrote on Sep 15th, 2009 at 12:15am:
Thanks Nimrod,
What survial tube/bag are you using.  I have one of the orange MSC ones and its pretty bulky, couldnt see it fitting in the pencil case.
Cheers

It's a big orange plastic bag.....not much bulkier tham a standard survival blanket. they condensate up but in my opinion are a lot more robust and give better shelter from the elements than a tin foil sheet.......and they don't deteriate like survival blankets do  Smiley

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #44 - Sep 15th, 2009 at 8:41am
Print Post  
blackbunny wrote on Sep 14th, 2009 at 5:23am:
Awesome thread NIMROD.  Cool Cool

May I suggest that you detail the contents of your first aid kit as well? We have had many threads in the past asking what people should have in theirs.

You probably won't be able to edit your original post now so just tack it on the end and I'll move it. Same goes for anything else you want to add. If I forget, just PM me to remind me.

Ok blackbunny, but this is going to disappoint the gear freaks & aspiring Medics amongst us  Grin

My first aid kit is...  [moved to original post -- blackbunny]
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2009 at 3:27am by blackbunny »  

IP Logged

BC
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:08pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #46 - Sep 20th, 2009 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
bingo!! cheers bc, ive been searching on the nett for one and didnt have much luck, that one looks perfect, cheers for the link! Wink great little gizzmo to have in ya kit i rekon Smiley

IP Logged

ANT
Forum Font

Reply #47 - Sep 20th, 2009 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
I just picked up the $40 lighter from dick smiths, in blue though not orange, no orange ones there. You have to get lighter gas as well to charge the supplied "resivour"(spelling?) or find disposable lighters to go in it. Bloody hot flame but!

So many CATS , so FEW recipes!
My girlfriend thinks I'm a Stalker..Well she's not EXACTLY my girlfriend, yet!
IP Logged

Dil
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Excellent post, definately a few changes to be made to the packing Grin

IP Logged

Kooza
Forum Senior

Reply #49 - Sep 21st, 2009 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Nimrod,

Firstly thanks heaps for your thread, learnt a lot of what you should take in the hills. my old man used to say pack what you think you'd need then throw half of it out!!!

I'm in the market for a new headlight and also a pikau (planning on sewing my own one up). If poss could i grad the size of your pikau and also your headlight make and model???

Cheers

Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #50 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Kooza wrote on Sep 21st, 2009 at 8:30am:
Nimrod,

Firstly thanks heaps for your thread, learnt a lot of what you should take in the hills. my old man used to say pack what you think you'd need then throw half of it out!!!

I'm in the market for a new headlight and also a pikau (planning on sewing my own one up). If poss could i grad the size of your pikau and also your headlight make and model???

Cheers

The Pikau is 700x500......just a standard cheap as chips Ridgeline model with the pocket on the back. They have started making that model again & the new container has just landed. Only around $40 I think  Smiley

The torch long ago lost it's name badge through wear & tear but it's a fairly standard model with a green bulb & a white bulb function. Uses 3 AAA batteries. Common as muck  Grin

IP Logged

Kooza
Forum Senior

Reply #51 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks for the info on ya gears, slowly starting getting my gear up to speed, got the basics covered. just need some dumb deer!! maybe one will have a bad day this sat

IP Logged

Raging Bull
Forum Font

Reply #52 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Quote:

I have just brought one of these: Silva Helios Storm lighter (Trademe new/unused: $15.00)

Specifications:

• Withstands 80mph winds (130km/h).
  • Piezo ignition (reliable for over 30,000 ignitions)
  • Waterproof (5 O-ring seals keep water out and it floats)
  • Refillable (butane gas)
  • Adjustable high-temp flame
  • Built in fuel gauge
  • Security wrist lanyard
  • Dimensions: 7.5 x 10.5 x 3cm
  • Weight: 119g

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/webpoint/webpoint.cfm?fuseaction=productdetail&S...

http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/store/survivalgear/brunton-helios-lighter.html

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #53 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 3:04am
Print Post  
NIMROD wrote on Sep 23rd, 2009 at 9:21am:
The Pikau is 700x500......just a standard cheap as chips Ridgeline model with the pocket on the back. They have started making that model again & the new container has just landed. Only around $40 I think  Smiley

It's better than that.  The new model is made out of two layer laminated fleece which is stringer and more water resistant than normal fleece.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

grassyknoll
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 9:20am
Print Post  
I still always carry the tried and true waterproof matches with striker in a film cannister with some bike tube as absolute backup.

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #55 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Just another tip Guys........instead of having bits of firelighting rubber all floating around loose in
your survival kit, I slip it over things like the Lighter, candle stub, windproof matches & film canisters.
I also use bike & wheel barrow tube rubber bands to hold gear together, like the rifle sling, rolled up raincoat & rolled up Pikau. Then it's always with you when/if you need it  Wink

IP Logged

shannon
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
hey nimrod,was just interested as to what you use the inner tube for?does it work well for fire starting fuel or something along those lines?

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #57 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Yep

IP Logged

Mark S
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
So assume you hunt with the rifle sling removed (or a spare?) and is that common practise?

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #59 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
You would find that a fair percentage of bush hunters dont hunt with a sling

IP Logged

luckey
Donor Member

Reply #60 - Oct 4th, 2009 at 5:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
You would find that a fair percentage of bush hunters dont hunt with a sling
Yeah me included, no sling means your shooter's where it should be - in your hands.  However I do use a scabbard pack for carrying the rifle when climbing and walking where I can't be shooting.  cheers

IP Logged

Corey Parker
Forum Font

Reply #61 - Oct 5th, 2009 at 3:08am
Print Post  
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1455

a cheap option but will need filling before use.

One KNHNTR. Any day on the hill beats a day in the office.

IP Logged

chux75

Watch out... The pigs
are flying!

Reply #62 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 7:23am
Print Post  
I haven't been able to find the orange tube survival bag for a while now (not the pack liner one). Where do you get yours from?

IP Logged

Cambo
Forum Font

Life is natures way of
keeping meat fresh

Reply #63 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 7:37am
Print Post  
I got 1 from Kathmandu when they had a sale on late last year.

GTalkSkype/VoIP  
IP Logged

batman640
Just Joined

Number one under the sun

Reply #64 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 12:48am
Print Post  
Insect repellant is another essential for me, depends on where you hunt.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #65 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Orange survival bag is bloody heavy.   You might be better off with a poncho / tarp combination for an emergency shelter.

I carry a insect head net and gloves as part of my standard kit.  Makes sitting still waiting for deer much easier.  I can't ignore the little buggers even with repellent on.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

chux75

Watch out... The pigs
are flying!

Reply #66 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Guys,

Does anyone remember the light weight thin plastic orange survival tube? Not the thick plastic, heavy one. It came pre-packed and was about a 4x4 inch square 1/2 an inch thick. Was very light and would easily fit in a jacket pocket.

These where great, but haven't seen one in a shop for years. If someone knows who still has these, please let me know.

Cheers.

IP Logged

Huntfish
Donor Member

Reply #67 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Check with The Mountain Safety Council, I think they are blue now and they often give them away.

IP Logged

chux75

Watch out... The pigs
are flying!

Reply #68 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Thanks HuntFish.

IP Logged

chux75

Watch out... The pigs
are flying!

Reply #69 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Can order from MSC website.

http://www.mountainsafety.org.nz/Resources/Resource_List.asp?t=1&cat=7

Wont keep you warm or comfortable, but may tip the balance in your favour in an emergency.

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #70 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Nimrod-great writeup.see you got the good old messtins.if blokes keep eyes peeled or are near mil surplus store,pick up an ex yank water bottle.,one that sits in its own cups canteen.In my  TF time you could actually cook a feed of noodles in cup then either drinkthe water as soup or use it for a cuppa.wee bit strange the taste but good if ya wet and shagged.Otherwise ,get a mate who homebrews.those brewmix tins with a wire handle make good wee billy and your gas stove should fit inside.

IP Logged

tripletwoee

Life's too short to shoot
an ugly gun

Reply #71 - Feb 20th, 2010 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
A suggestion instead of Berrocca for the boost of energy. I use an organic vitamin called Rhodiola which is rocket fuel and much lighter to carry. Two tablets max. per day will keep you going all day AND HALF WAY THROUGH THE NIGHT! Wink

IP Logged

manawatu hunter
Just Joined

Reply #72 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 6:28am
Print Post  
hi nimrod, great thread. Was wondering what you might normaly take on a day hunt in the way of gear and with pack or bumbag tec.. cheers

IP Logged

Bushrash
Donor Member

The Supplejack Swamp Ķåîмåî..Ćôũńŧřŷ

Reply #73 - Mar 21st, 2010 at 4:58am
Print Post  
Awesome thread Nimrod ,,,,another thing ive just added to my longer trips pack is spare bootlaces ,,a bugger when they break and the spare cord ya got is too thick!!haha,,,they dont take up any room and can be used for other emergencies if need be

"IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOIN IT!!"

IP Logged

AndyS

Reply #74 - Mar 24th, 2010 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Cheers Nimrod- your post has just saved a lot of saw legs and backs for plenty of people, me included. Thanks for taking the time to share Smiley

Andy

IP Logged

Jimmy_
Forum Senior

Reply #75 - Apr 3rd, 2010 at 3:12am
Print Post  
thanks nimrod.  brilliant post.

the only thing i think people should add into the first aid kit is a tube of super glue and duct tape.   you can seal wounds almost instantly with both.

IP Logged

grunta
Forum Font

Reply #76 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Jimmy_ wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 3:12am:
thanks nimrod.  brilliant post.

the only thing i think people should add into the first aid kit is a tube of super glue and duct tape.   you can seal wounds almost instantly with both.

Huh Huh

Awesome post though Nimrod. Legend Smiley

IP Logged

colinz

Reply #77 - Apr 13th, 2010 at 9:16am
Print Post  
They do make medical grade superglue (Cyanoacrlyate Adhesive), but it's a damn good way to seal a lot of shit into a wound.

IP Logged

Jimmy_
Forum Senior

Reply #78 - Apr 14th, 2010 at 10:23am
Print Post  
i don't want to side track a brilliant thread, but,   it was how i was taught in extreme situations to seal a wound.
have only had to use it once.  and the local paramedic commended our efforts.

IP Logged

spud gun
Ex Member

Reply #79 - Apr 19th, 2010 at 9:27am
Print Post  
What a great kit nimrod, thanks for passing on your experience

IP Logged

Geezer
Just Joined

Goat sausages

Reply #80 - May 26th, 2010 at 3:10am
Print Post  
Spare torch batteries are always a good option too.

Go hard or go home!!

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #81 - May 28th, 2010 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Geezer wrote on May 26th, 2010 at 3:10am:
Spare torch batteries are always a good option too.  

As listed under Hunting Gear  Wink

IP Logged

Luke20
Just Joined

Reply #82 - May 31st, 2010 at 3:22am
Print Post  
Great great post. Very helpful, especially for beginners like me Smiley.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #83 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 3:19am
Print Post  
having too much spare time on my hands decided to occupy myself by weighing all my gear.
Was an interesting result. My pack is still far to heavy, seems to get worse every year. especially with tent on board.

below are the weights i came up with for a trip of about 3-5 days in North island locations, tops or bush - tararuas , Ruahines or wherever..
Food would be about 1kg per day, i think.
pack is a frameless thing i got while back, only about 35 or 40 litres i think and barely fits everything when tent included.
Does hold enough for 3-5 days, just.
Lot of the items arnt ultra light, am working on that. looking at 8-900 gram sleeping bag.
Usually wear a swanni, Swandri in winter, ridgeline poly type in summer. bit heavy but prefer them when out in the open of in wet bush. Probably take only gortex parka if weather too hot, with extra  merino top.

here is pack ready to go

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #84 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 4:27am
Print Post  
nice riffle! Smiley
personally, i would biff the rangefinder, the radio and binos, but then i mainly hunt heavy bush so dont need those things, all the rest is pretty much needed ay Sad

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #85 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Gotta have my toys. but if bush mainly , your right Smiley
jusst checking out a
Mont Bell
U.L.SPIRAL DOWN HUGGER #3 Long
sleeping bag. weighs 1lb 4 oz.
dunno if its warm enough for general use, prob not for south island winter

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #86 - Jun 30th, 2010 at 5:00am
Print Post  
i have a macpac neve light weight bag, its small and light but only just warm enough for me, did you see the bags greg duley field tested in the latest mag, they looked pretty good and very small.

IP Logged

arnie
Ex Member

Reply #87 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 9:37am
Print Post  
batman640 wrote on Jan 26th, 2010 at 12:48am:
Insect repellant is another essential for me, depends on where you hunt.

+1 Smiley

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #88 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 5:24am
Print Post  
insect repelant is on the list!

pack weight has gone down a bit, got  a Monte bell 800-fill #3 Super Spiral. 670 grams Smiley
worked  ok last week in west coast in winter, (in a hut) Smiley

IP Logged

12 Gauge

Reply #89 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Outstanding, many thanks to Nimrod

12g

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #90 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:06am
Print Post  
weight has just gone up 750 grams Sad, just got a 75 litre macpac  Ascent Classic ($200)  Smiley

IP Logged

Penguinbait

Reply #91 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Great post, thanks Nimrod, planning my first trip in 10 years and will copy thyat lot.  Remember 20 years ago heading up the Motu thinking my 28kg pack would be fine.  Ditched the rice and other goodies 1/2 way through second morning, ened up shooting a wild bull as we were bloody hungry day three, cut the backsteaks off, back to the hut and cooked em up.  After chewing away at those our teeth were so sore we couldn't eat anyway for two days, so we spent those getting lost around the side of Hikurangi.  Learned some things that week.....

IP Logged

on2it

Judge a man by the company
he keeps

Reply #92 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 5:53am
Print Post  
> I'd probably have 2 full packets of Panedeine in it to get me by until the experts arrive.

Hi Nimrod

Great post, I just have a comment about pain relief. Not wanting to get into you so here goes...

Exceeding the recommended daily dose of common over the counter pain relief can kill you. Period.

Not many people know that consuming two packets (48 tabs) of Pandol/Panadeine is highly likely to kill you without prompt intervention - that's 24 grams of paracetemol - hospital admission usually starts at 10-12 grams and >15 grams is getting really serious. Death is from liver failure and extremely unpleasant.

In addition, the LD50 (lethal dose in 50% of cases) of codeine is 800mg and 48 tabs of Panadeine Plus contains 800mg.

Let's say you've accidently shot yourself and are in excruciating pain - it would be tempting to take the whole lot. Would be a pity to die of overdose before help arrives.

If you wanted to increase the codeine dose I'd personally go with a mix of paracetemol/codeine and nurofen/codeine so the paracetemol dose stays lower.

This is just a heads up and I'm neither a pharmacist or a doctor but did work in the industry for ten years. My overall recommendation would be to consult a phamarcist for their advice of what to do when in extreme pain and waiting for a free ride out.

Cheers

Richard

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #93 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Thanks for the heads up on2it

In no way am I suggesting anyone take both packets at once. As always with medication / pain relief, always always follow the manufacturers recomended dosage and never excede it.

The "2 packets to get me by until expert help arrives" comment is at the recomended dosage over the recomended time frame......repeated as necessary. Not all at once

Once again.....thanks for pointing out the ambiguity of my original post

IP Logged

Kooza
Forum Senior

Reply #94 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 4:54am
Print Post  
Ravines are back at macpac Smiley

IP Logged

Rocky Mountain
Forum Font

Reply #95 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Kooza wrote on Jan 9th, 2011 at 4:54am:
Ravines are back at macpac Smiley

Thats great news they might not have all the bling of other packs but they are light for there size and a good weight saving before you even start to put things into it. Thanks for the post Nimrod great stuff one thing you might be interested in to lighten you load even further is a fly made by intregral design called siltarp they come in 3 sizes mine is the 8x10 it weighs 400 grams and fits into on of there carry bags that is only the size of a peer of woolen socks. Wink 

IP Logged

timmay556
Ex Member

Reply #96 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 7:27am
Print Post  
awesome thread nimrod. I'm heading in for my first ever 2 night solo mission and after reading through your thread I've added some bike tyre cut offs and some pain killers.

IP Logged

Stinger

Reply #97 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Good read, thanks for that NIMROD

IP Logged

GeordieBiker

Reply #98 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Hi thanks for all the great info. Really decent thread here. I have recently started to get into hunting and hiking and thought id share some little tips i have picked up so far.

Cotton balls soaked in vaseline (petrolium jelly) make fantastic waterproof tinder. Wrap them in foil and you can use that to help reflect more heat into the fire too.

Paracord survival bracelets are a great way to carry a decent amount of usable cord into the bush that takes up no room in your pack, is easily accessable and looks cool too.

I know ranger bands (inner tubes) have been previously mentioned in this thread but i just thought id share my ideas. I have ranger bands throughout a bit of my kit but i think two of the best places i have used so far are on my zippo (one for the lid and one for the body) and on my BK2 handle. Really easy to grab when you need them as they are on gear that is regularly used.

Great info guys, keep up the good ideas.

-GB

Four Wheels Move The Body, Two Wheels Move The Soul

IP Logged

Sako 243

New rifle, new ambition!!

Reply #99 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 6:42am
Print Post  
I recently refered this very thread to a bunch of students heading down to the SI for 8 days of tramping... none of them had been before and they were scrounging bits and pieces of gear and asking a few questions.

This thread provided them with a great resource and made a HUGE difference to their preparation.

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
IP Logged

Shotz
Ex Member

Reply #100 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Love this thread. Timeless information. Thanks NIMROD.

IP Logged

White Bait

Reply #101 - Aug 6th, 2011 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Yeah G`Day..

Great practical information on display here mate.

Cheers

IP Logged

Mudflaps
Just Joined

Reply #102 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Geez I love this website!! Tanks for the great info!! So awesome that people are willing to share their knowledge. Looking forward to my next bush mission even more now!!

Charlie don't surf

IP Logged

Fly-My-Pretties

Reply #103 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Love this thread. Timeless information. Thanks NIMROD.

+1!!

IP Logged

Nak
Donor Member

Reply #104 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 1:20am
Print Post  
great resource thanks!

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #105 - Nov 28th, 2011 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Had the lap top fired up once again, I use this as a check list.

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #106 - Jan 15th, 2012 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Great post!

Sako-Tikka-Howa-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Vortex-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

granite62

Reply #107 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 5:15am
Print Post  
As others have said - a great post. Thanks. A recent but handy addition to what I carry is a handful of cable ties (sometimes called zip ties). These are great! On a recent trip a pack shoulder strap pulled out of where it attaches to the lower main body of the pack. I was able to use a knife and put two holes in the strap and where it attached to the pack, then cable tie up. It fixed the pack, we finished the trip and it's done a couple of trips since (hmmm must get it fixed properly one day).

Thanks and cheers.

IP Logged

sheppard84

Reply #108 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 9:34am
Print Post  
hmmmmm, i believe I have a lot to learn about packing.  thanks for the info and the pics are great to include too.  cheers

IP Logged

2tintin

Tramping with a gun

Reply #109 - Mar 5th, 2012 at 6:05am
Print Post  
Thanks for the great information NIMROD,  It's been a few years since you posted the original thread, any updates or changes since then?

IP Logged

mick hunter
Donor Member

MMMMMMM CanadiAn

Reply #110 - Mar 7th, 2012 at 2:48am
Print Post  
2tintin wrote on Mar 5th, 2012 at 6:05am:
Thanks for the great information NIMROD,  It's been a few years since you posted the original thread, any updates or changes since then?

I suspect not, hes had 40+ years to perfect it. Wink

IP Logged

7mil Jim

Reply #111 - Jan 16th, 2013 at 8:34am
Print Post  
This post is pure gold, wish I'd seen this a few years ago.
Thanks Rod

IP Logged

coelj
Just Joined

Reply #112 - Feb 8th, 2013 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
NIMROD wrote on Sep 15th, 2009 at 8:41am:
Ok blackbunny, but this is going to disappoint the gear freaks & aspiring Medics amongst us  Grin

My first aid kit is...  [moved to original post -- blackbunny]

may i suggest using a womens period pad in ur first aid kit, great for heavy bleeding, its what its designed to do... great gear list nimrod

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #113 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 12:55am
Print Post  
coelj wrote on Feb 8th, 2013 at 10:08pm:
may i suggest using a womens period pad in ur first aid kit, great for heavy bleeding, its what its designed to do... great gear list nimrod

Jeez, one of those on a cut for 5 minutes and you would be empty  Roll Eyes I've seen this mentioned before, but is there any medical evidence that it is actually useful or effective?

It's more the sort of thing you would carry in your hand bag.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Bent Barrel

Reply #114 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 5:08am
Print Post  
Outstanding thread. Has sunscreen been mentioned?

IP Logged

Grunter
Donor Member

Reply #115 - Feb 9th, 2013 at 5:29am
Print Post  
BC wrote on Feb 9th, 2013 at 12:55am:
Jeez, one of those on a cut for 5 minutes and you would be empty  Roll Eyes I've seen this mentioned before, but is there any medical evidence that it is actually useful or effective?

It's more the sort of thing you would carry in your hand bag.

My nurse wife tells me (in case I should manage to gash myself in the scrub) that to stop a wound bleeding you need to apply lots of pressure to it.  I guess this item of "womens business" would give you something clean to put over the wound to help stop dirt and crap getting into it.  Although, I just carry a couple of cotton pad things from the first aid section of the chemist.

IP Logged

mitch23

Reply #116 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Great post....it's helped me refine what I pack and given some solid pointers for future purchases.

For a massive traumatic injury I' going to add either Celox bandages or powder. The short vesion is that it is a clotting agent used by the military....or somer version of it. Dump it into the wound and it creates a clot to stop massive bleeding.

From Celox.co.nz website:

Celox granules, when they come into contact with blood, swell and stick together to make a gel like clot. This clot sticks well to moist tissue to plug the bleeding site.

Celox does not interfere with your body’s normal clotting process; it only clots the blood it comes directly into contact with.

Natural product with a known metabolic pathway

Celox is a natural product made with chitosan - a natural polysaccharide. Chitosan has a known metabolic pathway - that means any left in your system is broken down by the body’s normal enzymes and converted into glucosamine – a sugar already present in your body.

The proven benefits of using Celox

Celox has a number of benefits including:
•it clots blood fast (on average - in thirty seconds, a few minutes
for a major wound)
•it significantly reduces blood loss
•it safely clots blood containing anticoagulants like Coumadin,
Heparin and Warfarin
•it’s effective in clotting hypothermic blood
•it’s easy to use and requires no training – instructions are on the pack
•it can be left in the wound for up to seven days without any adverse effects
•it doesn’t affect long term wound healing
Celox comes in small, easy to carry, lightweight packs that have a shelf life of three years. Celox can be found in Radius Pharmacies nationwide as a pharmacy recommended product.

I think the bandages go for $75....not cheap but for a REALLY life threatening injury may be not that expensive after all.

“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

IP Logged

Po55umplukka
Forum Senior

Hoyt hunter

Reply #117 - Jun 9th, 2013 at 5:22am
Print Post  
Sounds like a handy product? I will look around for some.

As for this thread, I can't say how many times I've read it but its great! Always have a read when I'm packing my kit for a hunt. Helps me lighten the load when I start putting all the extras in. Has there been any updates to your pack Nimrod ( besides the Siltarp) that you would like to share?

IP Logged

xs708
Just Joined

Reply #118 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Any idea what weight thatd be all packed up nimrod?

cheers

IP Logged

Corey Parker
Forum Font

Reply #119 - Jan 9th, 2015 at 10:54am
Print Post  
xs708 wrote on Jun 17th, 2013 at 7:42pm:
Any idea what weight thatd be all packed up nimrod?

cheers

+1 including pack weight as I have the same pack?  Smiley

One KNHNTR. Any day on the hill beats a day in the office.

IP Logged

Joefish

Reply #120 - Oct 30th, 2015 at 5:06am
Print Post  
What a great post Nimrod and all the others that have added comments.
Every trip I go on I go back over it !

Cheers

IP Logged

murf

Reply #121 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Great thread and a wealth of experience generously shared. I suspect at this time of year I'm not the only one planning on their first overnighter for a while. It's been a good refresher and some things to review and rethink about. Cheers Nimrod and others who have contributed.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #122 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Have you seen any deer? What did you shoot them with.
Just trying to be funny, but in saying that on my first hunting trip many years ago I did take over 40 bullets. Just didn't have a clue on what deer stalking entailed. I did use two, now I take 10 bullets, still don't want to run out!

IP Logged

Nicknamed
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #123 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Very informative thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards