Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) NIMRODS pack contents (Read 73492 times)
Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: NIMRODS pack contents
Reply #90 - Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:06am
Print Post  
weight has just gone up 750 grams Sad, just got a 75 litre macpac  Ascent Classic ($200)  Smiley

IP Logged

Penguinbait

Reply #91 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Great post, thanks Nimrod, planning my first trip in 10 years and will copy thyat lot.  Remember 20 years ago heading up the Motu thinking my 28kg pack would be fine.  Ditched the rice and other goodies 1/2 way through second morning, ened up shooting a wild bull as we were bloody hungry day three, cut the backsteaks off, back to the hut and cooked em up.  After chewing away at those our teeth were so sore we couldn't eat anyway for two days, so we spent those getting lost around the side of Hikurangi.  Learned some things that week.....

IP Logged

on2it

Judge a man by the company
he keeps

Reply #92 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 5:53am
Print Post  
> I'd probably have 2 full packets of Panedeine in it to get me by until the experts arrive.

Hi Nimrod

Great post, I just have a comment about pain relief. Not wanting to get into you so here goes...

Exceeding the recommended daily dose of common over the counter pain relief can kill you. Period.

Not many people know that consuming two packets (48 tabs) of Pandol/Panadeine is highly likely to kill you without prompt intervention - that's 24 grams of paracetemol - hospital admission usually starts at 10-12 grams and >15 grams is getting really serious. Death is from liver failure and extremely unpleasant.

In addition, the LD50 (lethal dose in 50% of cases) of codeine is 800mg and 48 tabs of Panadeine Plus contains 800mg.

Let's say you've accidently shot yourself and are in excruciating pain - it would be tempting to take the whole lot. Would be a pity to die of overdose before help arrives.

If you wanted to increase the codeine dose I'd personally go with a mix of paracetemol/codeine and nurofen/codeine so the paracetemol dose stays lower.

This is just a heads up and I'm neither a pharmacist or a doctor but did work in the industry for ten years. My overall recommendation would be to consult a phamarcist for their advice of what to do when in extreme pain and waiting for a free ride out.

Cheers

Richard

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #93 - Dec 8th, 2010 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Thanks for the heads up on2it

In no way am I suggesting anyone take both packets at once. As always with medication / pain relief, always always follow the manufacturers recomended dosage and never excede it.

The "2 packets to get me by until expert help arrives" comment is at the recomended dosage over the recomended time frame......repeated as necessary. Not all at once

Once again.....thanks for pointing out the ambiguity of my original post

Better to Burn out than it is to Rust

IP Logged

Kooza
Forum Senior

Reply #94 - Jan 9th, 2011 at 4:54am
Print Post  
Ravines are back at macpac Smiley

Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

IP Logged

Rocky Mountain
Forum Font

Reply #95 - Jan 11th, 2011 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Kooza wrote on Jan 9th, 2011 at 4:54am:
Ravines are back at macpac Smiley

Thats great news they might not have all the bling of other packs but they are light for there size and a good weight saving before you even start to put things into it. Thanks for the post Nimrod great stuff one thing you might be interested in to lighten you load even further is a fly made by intregral design called siltarp they come in 3 sizes mine is the 8x10 it weighs 400 grams and fits into on of there carry bags that is only the size of a peer of woolen socks. Wink 

IP Logged

timmay556
Ex Member

Reply #96 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 7:27am
Print Post  
awesome thread nimrod. I'm heading in for my first ever 2 night solo mission and after reading through your thread I've added some bike tyre cut offs and some pain killers.

IP Logged

Stinger

Reply #97 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Good read, thanks for that NIMROD

IP Logged

GeordieBiker

Reply #98 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Hi thanks for all the great info. Really decent thread here. I have recently started to get into hunting and hiking and thought id share some little tips i have picked up so far.

Cotton balls soaked in vaseline (petrolium jelly) make fantastic waterproof tinder. Wrap them in foil and you can use that to help reflect more heat into the fire too.

Paracord survival bracelets are a great way to carry a decent amount of usable cord into the bush that takes up no room in your pack, is easily accessable and looks cool too.

I know ranger bands (inner tubes) have been previously mentioned in this thread but i just thought id share my ideas. I have ranger bands throughout a bit of my kit but i think two of the best places i have used so far are on my zippo (one for the lid and one for the body) and on my BK2 handle. Really easy to grab when you need them as they are on gear that is regularly used.

Great info guys, keep up the good ideas.

-GB

Four Wheels Move The Body, Two Wheels Move The Soul

IP Logged

Sako 243

New rifle, new ambition!!

Reply #99 - Jun 27th, 2011 at 6:42am
Print Post  
I recently refered this very thread to a bunch of students heading down to the SI for 8 days of tramping... none of them had been before and they were scrounging bits and pieces of gear and asking a few questions.

This thread provided them with a great resource and made a HUGE difference to their preparation.

42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
IP Logged

Shotz
Ex Member

Reply #100 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Love this thread. Timeless information. Thanks NIMROD.

IP Logged

White Bait

Reply #101 - Aug 6th, 2011 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Yeah G`Day..

Great practical information on display here mate.

Cheers

IP Logged

Mudflaps
Just Joined

Reply #102 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Geez I love this website!! Tanks for the great info!! So awesome that people are willing to share their knowledge. Looking forward to my next bush mission even more now!!

Charlie don't surf

IP Logged

Fly-My-Pretties

Reply #103 - Aug 19th, 2011 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Love this thread. Timeless information. Thanks NIMROD.

+1!!

IP Logged

Nak
Donor Member

Reply #104 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 1:20am
Print Post  
great resource thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards