Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) NIMRODS pack contents (Read 73490 times)
NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

NIMRODS pack contents
Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Lots of emails over the last year asking what I take in my pack on an extended walkabout hunting trip has prompted me to post up an article on the subject Smiley

But firstly a few tips Wink
This is mainly for bush hunting trips. ie, Ureweras, Kawekas, Ruahines, Tararuas, West Coast (get my drift / ) with maybe short stints on the tops or traveling over the open tops to get into the next catchment Wink Tahr hunting trips are a different kettle of fish entirely Wink

Forget about big thick heavy hunting coats/jackets Huh I for one overheat in them and find the layering system far superior as far as performance and comfort go. Plus they take up way too much room in your pack Angry The exception may be if you set out knowing it's going to be a pissing wet freezing weekend so want a silent waterproof hunting coat. Then I may take a Swazi Wapiti coat Roll Eyes But this winter I've had a 100% strike rate on wet days using a noisy Gortex coat that only weighs a quarter of my Swazi Shocked

Treat your sleeping bag as a part of your spare dry clothes & keep it dry at all costs Smiley

Use a pack liner

Keep all gear as light as you can Wink Ditch all packaging before packing for the trip Wink
Measure items like porridge, brown sugar, milk powder etc into serving sizes using ziplock plastic
bags. Only carry what you need.

24 hours of food should only weigh 1Kg Shocked 800grams is all you really need & you can go down to 600grams per day if you choose the right food. Pre portion everything before you pack Wink

Dont be scared to use a fire for cooking to supplement the fuel supply Wink\ On trips longer than a weekend I use fires a lot Grin
If you're worried about spooking animals with your smoke then your either camping too close to your hunting or hunting too close to your camp hoping for that perk animal Grin but if it really worries you then no problems, just carry more fuel Smiley

Sort your gear out by catergary Wink
Sleeping & accommodation
Cooking & food
Hunting gear
Personal & incidentals

The one big tip is that your gear for a weekend trip is exactly the same as your gear for a 10 day trip.....or visa versa Smiley
It's only the expendables that increase on the bigger trips. ie food, toilet paper, rifle oil etc Smiley

Sleeping & accommodation
Sleeping bag
ground sheet & thermarest
tent fly
camp footwear
Beanie & mitts
Goretex raincoat
Dry bag with spare clothes ( Woolen singlet, long sleeve microfleece top, underpants & socks )
Plus of course....the clothes your wearing Grin

Hunting gear
Pikau
knife & ammo belt
camera
PLB
binos
water bladder with sipper tube
rifle cleaning kit ( 1st yellow tin)
first aid kit ( 2nd yellow tin)
torch
the pencil case holds.... Knife sharpening steel, spare lighter, rifle sling, nylon cord, Survival bag, spare compass & whistle, torch batteries, fire lighting rubber, spare ultra light knife & perhaps one or two other small items (army can opener etc)
I don't use a GPS but you would include one here if you do Grin

Contents of first aid kit
My first aid kit is only designed for major trauma. Primarily to stop major bleeding Smiley
Any injury that stops you from walking out is going to be a biggie Sad
A first aid kit to cover all scenarios would be far to bulky Undecided and any minor injury wont stop you walking/hobbling out. A small cut or splinter though annoying, can be put up with & wont prevent
you from getting out of the bush under your own steam Wink
Broken bones can't be treated by a small first Aid kit Cry but stopping the bleeding from a compound fracture can be Smiley and depending of course on where the break is you may still be able to walk out Smiley
Just a note here, unless you have a mate with you to do it, splinting your own limbs is a difficult job Sad
Like wise, there's little you can do in the field for a bullet wound except stop the bleeding Cry
So my first Aid kit is designed to stop major bleeding to allow me to walk out without bleeding to death, or to at least retain enough red stuff until help arrives Roll Eyes and to do so in the most comfortable way it contains lots of Panadeine & anti inflammatorys
So its wound dressing, Plastic electrical tape to bind it securely in place, Voltaren & Panadeine Grin Grin Oh yeah, and some antiseptic cream to ward off infection
I'm not Rambo Roll Eyes so there's no needle & thread Grin
Take a look at any feild kit an infantry Grunt carries, it's primarily based around stopping you from leaking and making the hurt go away, or at least tolerable until your free ride gets there Smiley and if it's not serious enough for a free ride your told to keep on soldiering onGrin

The 4 main ingredients, but all condensed into a waterproof container Grin

I'd probably have 2 full packets of Panedeine in it to get me by until the experts arrive. Note: taken at the recommended dosage over the recommended time frame......repeated as necessary. Not all at once!
And don't forget to class the PLB as part of your arsenal in the First Aid kit Grin Just make sure you always have it with you Wink

Cooking & food
gas & cooker (with foil wind shield)
Billy (with chain) & dixie (or fry pan)
breakfast (porridge, milk powder & brown sugar)
Main evening meal ( Pasta & sauce, dehy mince & veges)
Snacks (Traveling snacks, snacks while hunting & lunch) in big plastic bag
plastic mug & spoon
Tea bags & Berroca
Pot scrubber
The food in this photo is for 24 hours & weighs just under 1kg (not including the Berroca)

Contents of lunch & snack bag
Dried bananas & peaches on the plastic bag
Venison jerky in small zip lock bag
Mixed raw nuts in small zip lock bag
Sunsweet individually wrapped prunes
Nut bars & muesli bars & One square meal bar

Personals & incidentals
Map & compass with whistle (dont forget glasses if you need them for map reading)
pen & Pencil (pens don't work if things get a tad damp)
Film cases hold Voltaren & Panadine
bike tube for firelighting
bog paper
toothbrush & toothpaste
Permit & hut tickets & nylon cord
Lots of clean plastic bags for your meat (keeps your pack & gear clean) but take it out of the plastic once you get home Wink

From about this time of year on you'll want something fly proof for your meat Wink This is made out of mosquito netting and weighs about 200g. Cost was about $21 and that was enough materials to make 3 bags

And there you have it, just keep adding 800g to 1kg food for each day your going for
For trips over 3 days I throw in 250g of dripping/Chefade, more bog paper & thats about it really
Remember, "a heavy pack is full of many light things"
Oh yeah, & not forgetting the Pack & bang stick

Remember the "good old days" ?
We didn't carry a tent fly...... The huts were never full Smiley
We didnt carry billies.............The huts were always stocked with them Smiley
We didn't carry cookers.........The huts always had open fires & plenty of dry firewood. Anyway, savaloys were easy to cook......if we bothered to cook them at all Grin

When I'm heading out after a successful trip I prefer to carry my venison out on the bone with the skin still on it. This helps keep it cleaner and lets me hang it in my beer fridge for 10 days without it drying out Smiley

I put a leg down inside each side of my pack, inside a fresh plastic rubbish bag each, and cram all my gear down in the space between them. A 65 litre pack will handle this easily. Any more than 1 deer then I have to bone it all out Roll Eyes

[Edit: added first aid kit contents -- blackbunny]
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2010 at 7:56am by blackbunny »  

Better to Burn out than it is to Rust

IP Logged

deerstalker
Forum Font

Re: NIMRODS pack contents
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:23am
Print Post  
great post Nimrod would have saved me alot of sweat and hard work to see a list like this when i first began hunting, some of the things that i used to take into the bush were rediculous  Grin  its definatly something that comes with experience, ive managed to get my pack contents down to something pretty simmilar to yours which is spot on for your average fly camping bush trip

IP Logged

Raging Bull
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Very informative Nimrod, thank you.

What model macpac is that? also, nice bang stick.

Brilliant post!  Smiley

IP Logged

tramper
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Savaloys Years ago used to have them for breakfast and dinner when in the hills.  Must start taking them again.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.  I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.  I shall use my time." -Jack London

IP Logged

Grunt Futtick
Donor Member

Adventure is the opposite
of television.

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Loving the Erinmore Nimrod.  Grin

Hunting wild animals on Department of Conservation administered land during the hours of darkness ( hour after sunset to hour before sunrise) is prohibited.

IP Logged

sika8
Forum Font

Work to live, not live
to work, stuff work go
hunt

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Top write up Cool you forgot about a alarmclock for those of us who find it hard toget out of the pit Wink Grin Grin

A CRAP DAY OUT HUNTING IS STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Raging Bull wrote on Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:27am:
What model macpac is that?

Macpac is a Ravine.......no longer made so I brought another one when I heard they were stopping making it and it's hanging in the shed for when the 1st one wears out  Grin but it's not showing any signs of wear yet after 5-6 hard years  Cool

Better to Burn out than it is to Rust

IP Logged

Sako75
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:55am
Print Post  
What do you do for cleaning the dixie after porridge when not much water about?
I have been working on the pasta meals for dinner and breakfast by heating in the billy and using the water for a cuppa after. That way no mess. Also got a mix of milo and milk powder in a ziplock bags as well as Macona coffee and sugar sachets.

As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder.
- John Glenn

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Cheers  Cool I love these sorts of posts, always learn something new, get some new ideas Smiley

What's in the pouch on the belt? And Berocca - what for?  Huh

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Steve
Forum Font

.338 EDGE

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Great post Nimrod Cool I use the minature soy sauce bottles you get with sushi for the toothpaste.

Any hints on best recipe for the dehy mince?

IP Logged

Model Seven
Forum Font

FishNhunt - Much more
interesting than the
missus

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Spot on mate, very helpful Cool

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

IP Logged

Antler carver

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Awesome thread
Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Very good post Nimrod it will be a great help to new, and not so new hunters, alot of thought and years of experience has obviously gone into that.
I carry a part roll of insulation tape for the end of the rifle barrel, track marking and other uses. And also a needle to dig out prickles in with your first aid gear are about the only other things i might suggest Smiley

IP Logged

.22-250 Everything
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
What a great post NIMROD, this is truely awesome and a great resource. Thanks very much

.22-250Rem Perfect for rabbits to reds

IP Logged

MEB
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2009 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Nice post Nimrod. It's good to see what experienced hunters deem as essential and how they pack it all. Cool

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards