Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Poll
Poll Question: Do you agree or disagree with these points for a WARO Submission?
bars   pie

Largely Agree with Collective Submission Points    
  87 (84.5%)
Largely Disagree with Collective Submission Points    
  16 (15.5%)

Total votes: 103
« Last Modified by: Striker-The Original on: Aug 27th, 2009 at 9:25am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Collective WARO Submission (Read 17035 times)
Striker-The Original
Donor Member

Bigger Better Faster Stronger />

Collective WARO Submission
Aug 27th, 2009 at 5:22am
Print Post  
I havent done much of this before so I invite to put forward sugestions to change anything that you might think nessasary. Please only constructive comments.
I wouldnt get too hung up over districts. This should be from a national stand point (or so i think.your opinions count too)  

This Submission addresses these points on behalf of a collective group of hunters who feel the need to oppose Wild Animal Recovery Operations as set out under the current operational frame work.

- Government policy is to encourage Recreational Hunting but the proposed WARO permits will in fact discourage rec hunting from the same approach adopted over the last 40 years.

-  Priority should be given to hunters, no WARO unless hunters can’t manage populations

- DOC should establish thresholds for deer density and not introduce WARO unless these are exceeded.

- DOC doesn’t recognize value of rec hunting either as a legit activity or a means of controlling wild animals

- Address the issue of continued lack of effort by the Department of Conservation to enforce, prosecute or termination of concessionaire’s concessions that break the terms and conditions as stated on the WARO concession permits

- The DOC approach is Boom and bust, short term thinking, doesn’t benefit WARO, rec hunting or conservation in the long term

- Too many helicopters, fewer permitted would provide  control of compliance,  and the WARO industry sustained, and rec hunting also

- Create longer closed periods, WARO can  meet animal control targets in a shorter period e.g. from December to may closure.

- Create more Closed areas to encourage recreational hunting without competition from WARO (govt policy is to "encourage rec hunting")

- Recreational hunting is the only method of deer management that has been sustainable over the last 40 years, WARO will come and go, with the economics

-  Limit the numbers of animals taken, and/or limits on either sex (hinds only) or  weight of stages (no large animals)

- Ensure the accountability of the pilot and shooter with all WARO flights to be satellite tracked and recorded along with the pilot and shooter’s details to be made publicly available at all times.

-The Excessive number of concessionaires and helicopters to be reduced by tendering from operators for exclusive WARO operations concessions, to give a medium term interest for
WARO and to prevent poaching and reduce the excessive noise levels in the backcountry. Also that the Concessionaire, their Pilots and Shooters be “fit and proper”.

-Support the 6 week exclusion of all lands administered by DOC during the Roar - 15 March - 30 April (46 days), and the 24 day (inclusive) exclusion over Xmas-New Year (22 December - 15 January).

-Prohibited areas need to be listed as well. They are not listed, only on the maps, which makes them hard to identify, especially if you don't have the prohibited area maps.

-Schedule 1 Clause 1: Land: Mistake in allowing “Unclassified” land to be part of the land over which WARO is authorized, but is also forbidden. Request DOC: Delete “Unclassified” from authorized land.
-----------
Edit entered 28/08/09
-Strongly support the requirement for all concessionaires to have a current and active contract with an NZFSA approved processor.

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2009 at 9:19pm by Striker-The Original »  

IP Logged

Kickstart
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Gas leak solved, yeah...NAAAA
NAAA run!!

Re: Collective WARO Submission
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 5:39am
Print Post  
I acknowledge WARO is an important part of DOC's perceived control... but how about massive penalties for being caught in the wrong place...  The cowboys dont care if they can get away with it...

IP Logged

Striker-The Original
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Kickstart wrote on Aug 27th, 2009 at 5:39am:
I acknowledge WARO is an important part of DOC's perceived control... but how about massive penalties for being caught in the wrong place...  The cowboys dont care if they can get away with it...

fair enough. how would you you put that? Smiley

does this not cover it in a way? Huh

- Address the issue of continued lack of effort by the Department of Conservation to enforce, prosecute or termination of concessionaire’s concessions that break the terms and conditions as stated on the WARO concession permits

Ensure the accountability of the pilot and shooter with all WARO flights to be satellite tracked and recorded along with the pilot and shooter’s details to be made publicly available at all times.

IP Logged

R93
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 6:00am
Print Post  
There is absolutely no need to identify pilot and shooter by name and made public. Its bullshit.
Some/most operators do not rely solely on venison.
Most people are opposed to waro in one form or another, imagine a company that are good at what they do and shoot x number of deer, out of a region that can sustain the activity but in contrast will seem a lot to people who do not have a clue.
Some people are simple enough to boycott that company because of their talleys, it has already happened.
Maf and Doc are the only ones that can action prosecution in the event of foul play they are the only ones that need that privileged information.

IP Logged

Matt S
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 6:09am
Print Post  
Quote:
There is absolutely no need to identify pilot and shooter by name and made public. Its bullshit.Some/most operators do not rely solely on venison.
Most people are opposed to waro in one form or another, imagine a company that are good at what they do and shoot x number of deer, out of a region that can sustain the activity but in contrast will seem a lot to people who do not have a clue.
Some people are simple enough to boycott that company because of their talleys, it has already happened.
Maf and Doc are the only ones that can action prosecution in the event of foul play they are the only ones that need that privileged information.

I agree with the highlighted bit, what does need to be made available is the name of the concession holder whether it be a firm, soletrader, whatever.  The pilot/shooter's names are irrelevent.  Transparency is paramount for WARO to become sustainable.

IP Logged

Striker-The Original
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Im taking notes on this. Im going to leave the way it is up on the forum for now. opinions noted

IP Logged

Hillclima

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 6:17am
Print Post  
I voted the wrong one Embarrassed Embarrassed, I was in such a rush to click "disagree" with WARO, that I didn't read the whole post and actually I think I agree with the points raised, can someone change my vote??  Maybe need to have more text beside each one to claify this to others

IP Logged

Kickstart
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

NAAA run!!

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Quote:
There is absolutely no need to identify pilot and shooter by name and made public.

Agreed, but if helo reg no XXX is videoed recovering an animal or shooting in a non waro area... traceability is important to us, yes we will name & shame and why shouldnt we shame operators who fly outside legal boundaries?

IP Logged

Greg Duley, NZ Hunter

NZ Hunter Magazine

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Good stuff Striker, keep it going.
I'd just suggest your poll should say largely agree or disagree or some such, so people still vote correctly even if they disagree with some minor wording. You want people to agree with the general flavour of the submission points when they vote, but then record their personal thoughts in a post below.
Greg

IP Logged

bonnie

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I agree with the submission and also with hillclimba its slightly confussing how to vote .
could word it differently the poll so its clearer

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
There is absolutely no need to identify pilot and shooter by name and made public. Its bullshit.
Some/most operators do not rely solely on venison.
Maf and Doc are the only ones that can action prosecution in the event of foul play they are the only ones that need that privileged information

Uhhh ...with regard to WARO have MAF or DoC ever successfully prosecuted anyone ?  ever ?
How about suspending a concession even ? ......  nope not even that .... never done nothing ever have they.  Go figure  Roll Eyes

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

Kickstart
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

NAAA run!!

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 10:06am
Print Post  
LOL I googled

"making a submission" doc waro

and fishnhunt forum came up top 2  Roll Eyes

Anyway.. I tried harder  Roll Eyes

DoC WARO

IP Logged

Kickstart
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

NAAA run!!

Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 10:16am
Print Post  
And their slideshow make it nice and simple....

IP Logged

Striker-The Original
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Grin Grin kickstart you've got in one. I certainly wonder at times if there is golden handshakes going on Huh

IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
By the look of the analysis already released, DoC are fobbing off the enforcement issue by saying "Provision for significant penalties already exists under the Wild Animal Control Act, Conservation Act and via NZFSA Regulation"

We need to make it clear that we know this, but that we are concerned at DoC's lack of willingness to actually enforce the rules and impose any of these "significant penalties". Not one concession has been cancelled or restricted even in the face of clear evidence.

If we don't make this clear, they can fob it off and ignore the issue.

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards