Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) When seeking shooting permission (Read 45789 times)
ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Re: When seeking shooting permission
Reply #75 - Dec 15th, 2012 at 5:31am
Print Post  
Its that time of the year when people are out and about after lambing/calving looking for land to shoot.

Thought I would bump into this old thread so the newbies an read it page for page. Us old timers put in a lot of good information on this thread.

Happy searching and Hunting!!

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #76 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 7:10am
Print Post  
ex-rabbithunter wrote on Dec 15th, 2012 at 5:31am:
Its that time of the year when people are out and about after lambing/calving looking for land to shoot.

Thought I would bump into this old thread so the newbies an read it page for page. Us old timers put in a lot of good information on this thread.

Happy searching and Hunting!!

Yep there have been a heap of posts recently by people looking for properties...

All I can say I have found this thread was GOLD when I was looking for a bit of confidence to go door-knocking and now have some awesome shooting available.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Dr Watson

Less talking more Shooting.

Reply #77 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 2:56am
Print Post  
As a land owner I agree with a lot of this, a gift or token of appreciation goes a Hec of a long way.

Interestingly when I commented on a thread on deer hunting locations and access suggesting that when one strolls up out of the blue it doesn't hurt to "come bearing gifts" the very idea got shot down by a number of members with comments reeking of self entitlement thinking that no one should have to pay or give anything to carry a firearm and shoot game on a farmers back lawn??

Goodness knows they won't be getting access anytime soon.

It's encouraging to see a decent attitude developing here and very telling to hear the practice of those members which have gained the trust of landowners.
It's not what you give or offer to give but rather the attitude behind it  Wink

IP Logged

Ernie
Donor Member

Bugger. never trust your
safety catch

Reply #78 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 5:08am
Print Post  
My son and I had a great few days before xmas on a big central Otago property. I gave the owners wife a couple of bottles of the local vino and had to really persuade her that it is the way I do things. I would feel really guilty if she hadnt accepted such a small token for such great sport.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Yorkshire
Forum Font

So much hunting to do,
so little time.

Reply #79 - Feb 4th, 2013 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Cockies who give me permission grt something every year. To start with a couple took  some convincibg.
It was made easier when i explained that was how i had been educated into shooting / hunting private land.
Whether a bottle of whisky a few brace of pheasants, whatever.
Simply put i was taught it was good manners and a small gesture for what could be life long access and sport.

People can label it what they like, i just think its bloody good manners and shows respect, its a great basis to establish long lasting friendships / relationships

IP Logged

felixx
Forum Senior

Always looking for a spearfish
or hunt around chch

Reply #80 - May 12th, 2013 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I was talking to a cocky on opening day, he was feeding his horses. I was coming home from a dive.
I asked how opening went. He thought I wanted to shoot his pond so was a bit cagy.
I gave him a cray and a couple of paua and asked about rabbit shooting. Got told to help myself, just text him first.
He asked I leave the deer and pigs alone for now. I will respect that.

He even showed me the 100 acres that are 'mine' until I show him I can be let over the rest of his farm. 2pm we saw quite a few rabbits.

Im stoked.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #81 - May 15th, 2013 at 5:38am
Print Post  
Good on you, well done. Its all in the first impressions eh.

If you arrive staunch and a "know it all", you will get laughed off pretty quick.

Farmers maybe at times be called stupid country folk, but trust me they are very intelligent businessmen/women. They know an A##e##le from a good bugger from that very first chat!!

Arrive with a good manner, accept being told no (there are millions of reasons).

Its like asking a chick out on a date, your not going to win them all.... Grin Grin

IP Logged

Chris B
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #82 - May 15th, 2013 at 6:06am
Print Post  
ex-rabbithunter wrote on May 15th, 2013 at 5:38am:
Its like asking a chick out on a date, your not going to win them all.... Grin Grin

Grin Great way of putting it ... have to accept rejection gracefully!

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #83 - May 15th, 2013 at 6:09am
Print Post  
Chris B wrote on May 15th, 2013 at 6:06am:
Grin Great way of putting it ... have to accept rejection gracefully!

It does piss ya off at times though especially when shes a "great bit of land"! Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

seano
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #84 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 6:49am
Print Post  
rabbiter wrote on Aug 19th, 2009 at 9:03pm:
1.Don't roll up to the door looking like rambo
2. Pick the right time of day ,not right in the middle of meal time.
3.Ask first could you spare me a few mintues of your time ,as at times cockys are very busy ,and nothing turns them off quicker than you standing there wanting to have a great narn up & they are flat out .
4.When driving up to his house DON"T roll right up to the door like you own the place ,stop back at bit but IN FULL view ,so he gets abit of a look at you before you get to the door .
5.A bit of small talk can help to break the ice ,weather ,lamb prices ,hows the grass growing etc.
6.If you get a yes to have a shot ,make sure you get permission for a mate as well if you are planing on taking one ,also find out where he DOESN"T want you to go .
7.Get a few clear picture on what pests he wishes you to shoot ,and whats non target ,as each farmer will have a different wish .
8.If you damage something ,you can't turn back the clock ,what you do from that point on is what matters ,so do the right thing & front up ,the damage WON'T go un noticed.
9.I find, if you arn't going to let the neighbours know you are next door shooting ,STAY well away from the boundarys .Best not to upset them  because if they ring the farmer complaining ,hes not going to fall out with them ,hes going to rag your ass.
10.Find out generally whats happening on farms around that area at that time of the year ,rolling up asking to go shooting after lambing ,right in the middle of lambing ,just isn't a great idea ,hes flat out & he will just not be very interested in thinking about you & your wishes .
11.Stay well away from any farm buildings or sheds ,farmers hate to see people hanging or poking about their sheds .
12.I do from time to time drop a feed of fish off to the stations I go pighunting on,its only a small thing ,but it lets the farmer know that I'm very happy to be able to enjoy his place .
I'm sure there are others on here that can add a few more good pointers to getting in the gate ,but above all you as the party leader carry the bag if anyone does anything wrong ,so pick your mates....carefully ...

GREAT Advice  Smiley

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #85 - Jul 25th, 2013 at 7:10am
Print Post  
seano wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 6:49am:
GREAT Advice  Smiley

Rabbiter always had great advice.  Sadly he got his boxers in a twist and hasn't been on since..

I know you are reading this rabbiter!!

Come back and teach the newbies, you were well liked on here. Just dont take shit from headcase or chris or Oscar!!

IP Logged

moosecan
Just Joined
Donor Member

Reply #86 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 8:05am
Print Post  
thanks for the tips!!

IP Logged

Yorkshire
Forum Font

So much hunting to do,
so little time.

Reply #87 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Good result. Ive found even when you get a yes, landowners are different. One place it took me 2 yrs to build the trust, baby steps. And the farmer still wont let me night shoot without him.

At the other extreme one of my old local contacts lets me comeand go as i plese. On dqy one told me where the main gate keys were hidden if he was away for a period of days and place was locked up.

Its just a case of abiding by the ground rules they set some stricter than others. AND always respectful and responsible.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #88 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
ex-rabbithunter wrote on Jul 25th, 2013 at 7:10am:
Rabbiter always had great advice.  Sadly he got his boxers in a twist and hasn't been on since..

I know you are reading this rabbiter!!

Come back and teach the newbies, you were well liked on here. Just dont take shit from headcase or chris or Oscar!!

I think a wallaby ate him.  Cry

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

ezdirect.
Forum Font

Reply #89 - Jul 26th, 2013 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
The hills can be cruel!

revertetur firmior    resident camp possum
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards