Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) When seeking shooting permission (Read 62310 times)
Chief
Donor Member

Re: When seeking shooting permission
Reply #30 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
think it was $90 for a full year senior membership.  you get 10% off at h&f too Smiley

For some of us, the call to hunt is deep in our genes.  It's there, and those that don't have it will never know the deep and profound impact is has upon those of us who do.  Keith Draper.

IP Logged

Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #31 - Sep 10th, 2009 at 8:31am
Print Post  
great post rabbiter ;

IP Logged

brianguy
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 6:53am
Print Post  
really good idea for a post, rabbiter. too many idiots out there that are givin us a bad name

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #33 - Sep 20th, 2009 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Another few things that were mentioned to me from a farmer who has just contracted me to shoot his rabbits:

He doesnt want to know "oh about 40 rabbits" he wants to know exactually how many rabbits, so count properly and let him know

And he was brassed off at people taking pop shots at rabbits with no or very little chance of hitting them. He was sick of watching the rabbit shooters taking 100mtr shots with their .22 and missing. And now they are toey!!

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

sharpshooter1
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Hey Guys, ive always found helping out the the farmer always works for me and my father, we a both fortunate to work for bakeries, and i tell you cockies are always great full when you offer them bread to say thanks!

IP Logged

KScott_NZ
Forum Font

Reply #35 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Yup. Dropped off 2 bottles of nice wine to my local farmer the other day as a way of saying thanks for letting us shoot. A little bit of effort goes a long way, and that's why we're going back tonight  Wink

IP Logged

devon flyfisher
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Sep 27th, 2009 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Advice from a 'bloody foreigner'.
I have enough land in the UK to keep me busy now, but when i didn't i started by being in the right place at the right time, what i mean by that is study the local farmers habits, then make sure when he is on his rounds he spots you looking at his land from the public highway, he is bound to enquire what you are looking at, hey presto first contact! Worked for me when i started out, cheeky but hey all is fair in love and war.
In my experinec word of mouth is the best recommendation a landowner can have.
We also used to leave the tail of any fox we shot as evidence, and always keep them sweet at Christmas with a bottle of the good stuff.
Cheers
Richard

IP Logged

Jimbag
Forum Font

Reply #37 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Good post! I have only been told no once and that was because his kids hunted the farm. Politeness is the key and a promise to leave the place in the same condition you found it. I find a lot of farmers dont want meat or booze so I have a friend with bees so four or five pounds of honey sweetens up most people.

IP Logged

6possums

Reply #38 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Has anyone tried putting a flyer in the farmers letterbox ? Much success with that ?

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

Show them you care. Stalk
them.

Reply #39 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
6possums wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 4:57pm:
Has anyone tried putting a flyer in the farmers letterbox ? Much success with that ?

LOL!!

As it happens, I am working on one of those!

With a stamped, self addressed, pre-completed "yes / no" type response sheet to make it easier for them!

Cheesy

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an id10t. (Steven Wright)

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #40 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
BTMO wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:00pm:

LOL!!

With a stamped, self addressed, pre-completed "yes / no" type response sheet to make it easier for them!

Cheesy

Don't think you will get much response. Do you know how much crap farmers/rural people get in their letter box???

If your going to drive to the property, why not just call in and ask, at least then they get to meet the person that wants to shoot there.

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

Monsterbishi
Forum Font

Christchurch, NZ<br />

Reply #41 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
ex-rabbithunter wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:06pm:
If you're going to drive to the property, why not just call in and ask, at least then they get to meet the person that wants to shoot there.

^^^ Exactly, and on a related note, if you are going from farm to farm - remember to pay attention to what sort of farm it is(ie Dairy), now that daylight savings are upon us, what you may think is early evening could well be right on bedtime for some folk!

<div style=

devon flyfisher
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
BTMO wrote on Oct 7th, 2009 at 6:00pm:

LOL!!

Cheesy

Been there, done that, waste of time and money.
Cheers
Richard

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

Show them you care. Stalk
them.

Reply #43 - Oct 7th, 2009 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Yep, I know it is a gamble - just like door knocking is, or cold phone calling.

Personally, I find all sorts of begging letters, phone calls but most especially people knocking on my door annoying. Especially if it is my day off.

However, I think it is worth at least trying. It is no more a waste of money / time than knocking on a door where you get told "no".

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an id10t. (Steven Wright)

IP Logged

slickshot

Reply #44 - Oct 15th, 2009 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
All good stuff. One rule i alway use is leave gates as you find them. When shooting on small farms and you let the neighbours now your there they sometimes let you shoot there place also Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards