Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) When seeking shooting permission (Read 45790 times)
rabbiter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: When seeking shooting permission
Reply #15 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
All very good ideas guys ,here another that I had forgotten
If you planing on a spotlighting trip on the farm ALWAYS ask if they have any horses on the place as they just HATE the light placed on them ,they generally go mad & could  run into a fence & be badly damage  ,so don't do ,having to go back and report that you have driven the wife or kids pet horse into barbwire ,just isn't going to go down well at all.

IP Logged

woo
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 12:05am
Print Post  
My mate's family just bought a farm at far auckland
But we have no idea whether we can shoot or not
Is there any laws or requirements that rule out if you wanna shoot in the farm the farm must have a certain size or bigger than that??

IP Logged

.22-250 Everything
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 12:12am
Print Post  
If your out bunny shooting you are BUNNY SHOOTING the deer or porker that walks out 30 yards infront is not yours to shoot

.22-250Rem Perfect for rabbits to reds

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #18 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
My mate's family just bought a farm at far auckland
But we have no idea whether we can shoot or not
Is there any laws or requirements that rule out if you wanna shoot in the farm the farm must have a certain size or bigger than that??

Just follow the rules as above but if its small:
Notify neighbours and ask if they have any concerns
Notify Police if its close to a township
and check where the buildings/houses are

Even a few farms I do occasionally, at night the place looks different, and even if i know a house is in a certain direction, sometimes you have to lift the spotlight off the animal and shine around and check where the house is before taking a shot. If not 100% sure dont take the shot!!

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

leathel
Forum Font

Hunting / Fishing, Its
all good!!

Reply #19 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 12:18am
Print Post  
.22-250 Everything wrote on Aug 28th, 2009 at 12:12am:
If your out bunny shooting you are BUNNY SHOOTING the deer or porker that walks out 30 yards infront is not yours to shoot

If you have asked the farmer if it is ok to shoot them Smiley

He may have a few he is leaving to build the numbers to maintain stocks as it is easy to wipe satalite heards out Wink

IP Logged

.22-250 Everything
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
If you have asked the farmer if it is ok to shoot them

He may have a few he is leaving to build the numbers to maintain stocks as it is easy to wipe satalite heards out

Yes and it doesnt hurt to ask!

The reason i put this in is on our old farm we had four fallow deer turn up unexpected and I left them alone for about a year hoping a few more would establish. we let a fella who had been begging to shoot bunnies go out for a walk and he came back with a HUGE smile saying he had shot two small deer, both hinds and could we come and help him carry them. Angry Angry Angry

The old man told him in no uncertain terms that he could come help US carry them, he might get a front shoulder if he is lucky and not to bother calling in again.

.22-250Rem Perfect for rabbits to reds

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #21 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Same goes for stoats, ferrits and cats.

Most land owners want them shot.  Some of the more old school ones want them left (they eat rabbits after all).  You won't know until you ask.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

sikaeata

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #22 - Aug 31st, 2009 at 10:00am
Print Post  
All good stuff guys.
All common sense, and thats all anyone can ask for.
People are more likely to allow good people that are known to be good people keep coming back. So if given the opportunity for some shooting on someones land, make a good impression.
Remember also, there are alot of land owners that themselves like to hunt so don't be dissappointed or discouraged if you get turned down, you may one day be invited to join them if a good impression is made.
Just my 2 cents.

IP Logged

Chief
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 4:40am
Print Post  
helps if you say you belong to deerstalkers or a local hunting clubs.  deerstalkers is great as they have a $10m public liability insurance in case something goes horribly wrong.

For some of us, the call to hunt is deep in our genes.  It's there, and those that don't have it will never know the deep and profound impact is has upon those of us who do.  Keith Draper.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #24 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 4:56am
Print Post  
Chief wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 4:40am:
helps if you say you belong to deerstalkers or a local hunting clubs.  deerstalkers is great as they have a $10m public liability insurance in case something goes horribly wrong.

I'm asuming that only covers Public land though wouldnt it??

If its not the case, I might just join and cancel my insurances, but does it cover Rural Fire?

IP Logged

Chief
Donor Member

Reply #25 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 4:59am
Print Post  
ah shit my bad rabbit hunter.  you're completely right.  it does only cover public land.  yep it does cover rural fire, but only on public land.  guess what i was trying to say was that if you belong to a club, the cocky is more likely to see you in a positive light and involved in the sport, rather than being a rambo Smiley

For some of us, the call to hunt is deep in our genes.  It's there, and those that don't have it will never know the deep and profound impact is has upon those of us who do.  Keith Draper.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #26 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 5:02am
Print Post  
Chief wrote on Sep 7th, 2009 at 4:59am:
ah shit my bad rabbit hunter.  you're completely right.  it does only cover public land.  yep it does cover rural fire, but only on public land.

Are you sure?  Huh

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Chief
Donor Member

Reply #27 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 5:05am
Print Post  
off my old membership card.... "members have $10m public liability insurance, including a $1m forest and rural fires act extension, and a punitive and exemplary damage cover against claims made from hunting activities in the field".  fairly else non specific i guess - am now wondering if it is on all land and not just public?  can anyone else shed some light?

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 5:07am
Print Post  
How much is a yearly membership to NZDA?? Will be WAY cheaper than what I pay for the insurance I need

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #29 - Sep 7th, 2009 at 5:08am
Print Post  
I'd assumed it was for anywhere, as our Branch uses it to get access through private forest to public land.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards