Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) When seeking shooting permission (Read 45768 times)
rabbiter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

When seeking shooting permission
Aug 19th, 2009 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
1.Don't roll up to the door looking like rambo
2. Pick the right time of day ,not right in the middle of meal time.
3.Ask first could you spare me a few mintues of your time ,as at times cockys are very busy ,and nothing turns them off quicker than you standing there wanting to have a great narn up & they are flat out .
4.When driving up to his house DON"T roll right up to the door like you own the place ,stop back at bit but IN FULL view ,so he gets abit of a look at you before you get to the door .
5.A bit of small talk can help to break the ice ,weather ,lamb prices ,hows the grass growing etc.
6.If you get a yes to have a shot ,make sure you get permission for a mate as well if you are planing on taking one ,also find out where he DOESN"T want you to go .
7.Get a few clear picture on what pests he wishes you to shoot ,and whats non target ,as each farmer will have a different wish .
8.If you damage something ,you can't turn back the clock ,what you do from that point on is what matters ,so do the right thing & front up ,the damage WON'T go un noticed.
9.I find, if you arn't going to let the neighbours know you are next door shooting ,STAY well away from the boundarys .Best not to upset them because if they ring the farmer complaining ,hes not going to fall out with them ,hes going to rag your ass.
10.Find out generally whats happening on farms around that area at that time of the year ,rolling up asking to go shooting after lambing ,right in the middle of lambing ,just isn't a great idea ,hes flat out & he will just not be very interested in thinking about you & your wishes .
11.Stay well away from any farm buildings or sheds ,farmers hate to see people hanging or poking about their sheds .
12.I do from time to time drop a feed of fish off to the stations I go pighunting on,its only a small thing ,but it lets the farmer know that I'm very happy to be able to enjoy his place .
I'm sure there are others on here that can add a few more good pointers to getting in the gate ,but above all you as the party leader carry the bag if anyone does anything wrong ,so pick your mates....carefully ...

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Re: When seeking shooting permission
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
A sunday morning not a good time to roll up to a farmers gate,generally family time ,sleep in time ,book work time etc.Just my thoughts.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

.22-250 Everything
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Good thread! We had some wankers show up when we lived up the Waipara gorge, I got a knock on the door at 10 o'clock at night once. Also make sure you drop him off a cake or a dozen on the way out and offer him a bunny for the cat. Lately I have been struggling for places to hunt but I chop an hours worth of firewood for my main farm each time I go.

If all else fails head to the local and chat up the bird who looks like her old man has a farm.

.22-250Rem Perfect for rabbits to reds

IP Logged

BTMO
Forum Font

Show them you care. Stalk
them.

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2009 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
.22-250 Everything wrote on Aug 19th, 2009 at 9:20pm:
If all else fails head to the local and chat up the bird who looks like her old man has a farm.

That doesn't work if you have Shandy in tow.

You know how some guys are chick magnets?

Well, let's just say that if females were sharks, you could bottle Shandy and sell him to shipwrecked sailors...

Wink

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an id10t. (Steven Wright)

IP Logged

gusdog
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:24am
Print Post  
great idea for a thread i think alot of people could use this

manners  manners manners

IP Logged

Patunui

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 1:24am
Print Post  
Good thread rabbiter

It pays the confirm with the farmer where the boundarys to the farm is. He may even have a map for you to look at because the neighbours is just a fence away and they don't take kindly to hunters on their property without permission.

IP Logged

scruffy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 1:45am
Print Post  
And for all those bloody foreigners here - bring a kiwi mate to do the talking and keep your mouth shut until the permission is granted.

Works for me Smiley

IP Logged

chris
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

a setter is better!

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 3:43am
Print Post  
great advice rabbiter, also, if your taking dogs, reassure the cocky that it has the right vacinations and is fully stock proof.
keep an eye out for any stock in trouble etc and let the cocky know.
report signs of other hunters, potential poachers etc as you dont want to get blamed for there actions if they do something wrong, had first hand experiance of this twice!
if you ring to ask permission to go for a hunt and the cockys not home, dont leave a message and go anyway unless you know him very well and its ok to do so.
dont drive through wet paddocks etc and make a mess to save your self a bit of walking, also dont drive anywere you might get stuck, walking back to ask the cocky to tow you out is a hassle for him and not likely to instill confidance in you.
an offer to come and control a few possums/rabbits/pests go's a long way.
if you get a turn down, be polite, thank him for his time and call back in a few months, just say you were passing and thought you would drop in to see if he had reconsidered, i picked up a good pheasant property on the third visit.
if you have kids that are into hunting, take them and introduce them to the cocky, saying you are looking for somewere safe to take the kids for a bit of outdoor education, cockys wives love that one! Wink
phone them after the hunt to let them know how you got on, what you saw etc,
above all, respect the property and its owners, give at least as much as you take and you will be welcome back.

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 4:40am
Print Post  
  • Ask what calibre gun he is happy with. A lot of farmers are happy with .22, but might not be so keen on having his farm sound like Iraq with a .308!!!

• As rabbiter said: If your a fisherman take the farmer a feed of fish on your return visit, or if you are a pig/deer hunter take him a back leg or some veni steak

• May-August - farmers are break-feeding, ask where this is happening and if he would like you to stay a paddock back from this (as some stock are not great behind a wire to start with and will break out causing the farmer a headache in morning)

• DONT drive on freshly drilled/sown paddocks, keep away from them until they have been grazed (unless the farmer asks you to shoot the paddocks to get rid of those rabbits!)

• During summer, if you see any minor water leaks (soggy green patches) - report these ASAP to the farmer - he may already know about it or it might not even be a broken water pipe. But if you advise him it could SOLVE a lot of headaches for the farmer if hes on creek water that is running out

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Some very good posts coming up now ,some good old common sence is generally a good idea if it doesn't sound like a good idea then its most likely not ,a view that will be shared by the farmer .

IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 8:49am
Print Post  
if going spotlighting work out likly spots and shooting angles, location of back stops etc in the day time.

IP Logged

tube
Banned

Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 11:45am
Print Post  
All good ideas.Another i used to practise was keeping an eye on stock in passing and if anything didcrop up getting back to the cocky pronto with all the details.a couple of times unfortunately i had to put a coup[le of very sick sheep down but the cocky was appreciative of our actions.Iguess above all it boils down to respect and not abusing a gift eh.tube.

IP Logged

Grunt Futtick
Donor Member

Adventure is the opposite
of television.

Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
One time I interupted my fishing and went all the way back to the farm house to report that a horse was caught up in the fence and struggling to free it self.

I knew the farmer would appreciate my efforts and rush to the aid of his equine friend.

Whe I got the the farm house and told the farmer he turned around and yelled down the hall way to his wife. "get my gun wife, that f**king mare is stuck in the f**king fence again."
"Thanks for telling me mate, I've been wanting to get rid of that f**ker for ages and now i've got an excuse".  Shocked

Hunting wild animals on Department of Conservation administered land during the hours of darkness ( hour after sunset to hour before sunrise) is prohibited.

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2009 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Grunt Futtick wrote on Aug 20th, 2009 at 12:27pm:
One time I interupted my fishing and went all the way back to the farm house to report that a horse was caught up in the fence and struggling to free it self.

I knew the farmer would appreciate my efforts and rush to the aid of his equine friend.

Whe I got the the farm house and told the farmer he turned around and yelled down the hall way to his wife. "get my gun wife, that f*cking mare is stuck in the f*cking fence again."
"Thanks for telling me mate, I've been wanting to get rid of that f*cker for ages and now i've got an excuse". Shocked

So he shot the wife? Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

GameHunter
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Also when you are talking to the farmers always ask where his/her stock is so you can avoid shooting in that direction or area. Even better ask for a farm map as most paddocks these days are numbered. I am lucky that the farm I shoot on I used to work there so I know the place like the back of my hand. Also if you have a suppressed centrefire it is good to say that you do have a high powered rifle with you but it is suppressed to sound like a .22 and generally they will be happy with that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards