Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic whats in your daypack? (Read 5792 times)
smiddy
Forum Font

hunting,  not working

whats in your daypack?
Aug 12th, 2009 at 9:47am
Print Post  
what does everyone carry in there day pack?
this is a pic of my usuall tahr hunting pack

it includes,   Jacket, Gloves, Bennie, Rope, Shit paper, fire starters, matches, Epirb, GPS, Ice axe, knifes & sharpner, head torch, snacks, drink bottle & raro, binoculars, wrist watch, plastic bags and survival blanket

IP Logged

NIMROD
Donor Member

Made in New Zealand

Re: whats in your daypack?
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Venison

Better to Burn out than it is to Rust

IP Logged

Raging Bull
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:42am
Print Post  
smiddy wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 9:47am:

it includes,   Jacket, Gloves, Bennie, Rope, Shit paper, fire starters, matches, Epirb, GPS, Ice axe, knifes & sharpner, head torch, snacks, drink bottle & raro, binoculars, wrist watch, plastic bags and survival blanket

You don't take a basic first aid kit Smiddy?

IP Logged

Elgjeger
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Good gear there! Do I see a 10x45 RF in amongst there??

I hunt the high country in Norway, and I usually add a better sort of survival blanket, a kind of sack that reflects heat, keeps water out, and is lightly insulated. Weights about 1,5kg, and you're most likely to survive  a broken leg in one of those during some real cold winter nights..

Isn't it a bit dangerous to have an ice axe, and not crampons? I mean, when you ned the ice axe, you're very likely in need of the crampons too??
I've scrambled down a snow-covered scree in the Havelock with ice axe only, and won't do it again!

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Smiddy a pic like that. Thats a great way of sorting out instead of a list.

IP Logged

Tussock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 4:16am
Print Post  
Similar to yours but add more food (usually one square meal bars and bumper bars), a survival bag (the big orange ones with the bottom rolled up so it fits that daypack) a first aid kit and a a full change of clothes (Icebreaker).

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 5:11am
Print Post  

it includes,   Jacket, Gloves, Bennie, Rope, Shit paper, fire starters, matches, Epirb, GPS, Ice axe, knifes & sharpner, head torch, snacks, drink bottle & raro, binoculars, wrist watch, plastic bags and survival blanket

I often carry one of those little gas primus tops that fold up (not much bigger than a computor mouse), that you screw onto a self sealing bottle and a stainless cup so you can have a hot cuppa.
Also a roll of insulation tape to put over the end of your barrel and a 100 other uses ..... have also used little strips of it to mark a track before.
Bits of rubber bike tube makes good fire lighters, and it doesnt stink like little lucifers. I keep four or five spare rounds of ammo in a strip of bike tube. And also AA batteries for the GPS or two way radio in another.
Bike tube sleeves nicely onto your knife belt or rifle sling.

IP Logged

Model Seven
Forum Font

FishNhunt - Much more
interesting than the
missus

Reply #7 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:10am
Print Post  
NIMROD wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:35am:
Venison

Hahahahahaha!!! Grin Very well said

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

IP Logged

Striker-The Original
Donor Member

Bigger Better Faster Stronger />

Reply #8 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 6:51am
Print Post  
This is what I carry in mine.

includes:2 compasses, 10 rounds of ammo headlamp, magnet torch(so called w@nkers torch), 2x survial blankets maglight, insolation tapex3, waterproof matches, lighters, SERIOUS pain relief 4 up to 36 hours, antihistimeans, antiinflamitarys, rubber strips, small first aid kit, spare knife, gps,battries for torches and gps, gloves,pohcho(not ins photo) spare socks, whistle, knife steel, 5m of strong twine, army cooker and fuel, 3x peanut slabs, 1xroll of crap paper( good for marking tracks). oh plus 2l of water food  and ammo on top.

Ithink that just about covers it.um ah????

I get quoted all the time for carrying too much but better be safe thatn sorry Sad Embarrassed

IP Logged

scruffy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Grog, snack, Playboy and an emergency beacon in case I get too pissed to get back.

IP Logged

Tuamotu
Forum Senior

Huntsoc Old Boys

Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:18am
Print Post  
Elgjeger wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 9:44pm:
Isn't it a bit dangerous to have an ice axe, and not crampons? I mean, when you ned the ice axe, you're very likely in need of the crampons too??

I use my ice axe heaps even when there's no ice around - climbing up the steep stuff or even for digging trenches around my tent for drainage in a downpour.
Carried crampons at times  - haven't needed em yet but ya never know

To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist the glass is half full. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it should be.

IP Logged

Tui4Me

'You'll Learn No Harm
From The Hills'

Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:20am
Print Post  

Depending on where i am going, sometimes go lighter, sometimes take more.....Shocked

As well as some tucker and a Topo map of the area i'm hunting (walking around spooking deer) in.......  Grin Grin

Sometimes take a small MSR cooker if i feel like a brew during the day  Cool

IP Logged

smiddy
Forum Font

hunting,  not working

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 4:40am
Print Post  
Raging Bull wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 10:42am:

You don't take a basic first aid kit Smiddy?

hmm nah,  im still building it up,  wanted to know what everyone else has so i could build mine up abit,  a first aid kit is a obvious Shocked

IP Logged

smiddy
Forum Font

hunting,  not working

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Elgjeger wrote on Aug 12th, 2009 at 9:44pm:
Good gear there! Do I see a 10x45 RF in amongst there??

I hunt the high country in Norway, and I usually add a better sort of survival blanket, a kind of sack that reflects heat, keeps water out, and is lightly insulated. Weights about 1,5kg, and you're most likely to survive  a broken leg in one of those during some real cold winter nights..

I've scrambled down a snow-covered scree in the Havelock with ice axe only, and won't do it again!

Nope you see some cheap bushnell trophys haha.  Nah no cramp ons, the ice axe is for emergency only,  i am not experienced enough to go in to the ice,  i can usually find tahr where there is no snow,  but i bet now the next bull i see will be in the white stuff

IP Logged

SAKO 30-06
Donor Member

Good Boy.....

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Tui4Me wrote on Aug 13th, 2009 at 7:20am:

Depending on where i am going, sometimes go lighter, sometimes take more.....Shocked

As well as some tucker and a Topo map of the area i'm hunting (walking around spooking deer) in.......  Grin Grin

Sometimes take a small MSR cooker if i feel like a brew during the day  Cool

Yep, that looks about right for me.

Wirehaired, mans best friend

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards