Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Four Season tent (Read 11394 times)
danel
Ex Member

Four Season tent
Jun 30th, 2009 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Has anyone researched  2/3 person four season tents in NZ...maybe looking at the Macpac Olympus or the MSR Asgard or some of the other MSR tents. The other brands which look good are Marmot and Vaude. I want the best I can get. Weight is not the prime consideration. Any info will be much appreciated.

IP Logged

ThomasW
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Four Season tent
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Macpac plateau (formely Fairydown plateau) has a very bomb proof design. I would not want to carry one in my pack...

http://secure.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/gear-and-clothing/tents/tents-mountain/pla...

Have heard good things about the Exped tents, I own a 1 person exped tent and the build quality was excellent.

IP Logged

danel
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2009 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
I will look into the Expeds, I know they make good gear and they seem a bit cheaper than the MSR and Macpacs. The Exped Orion has a review which puts it ahead of the Macpac Olympus.

I looked at the Doite Pro Aconcagua but at 5 kg it is heavy and the floor seemed a bit light

IP Logged

tramper
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Ive got the Exped Orion and the Venus II they are both great tents being side entry tents you need a bigger flat area to pitch then say the Olympus. They are well made, you can pitch them with the fly attached so the inner stays dry. Another plus for side entry tent you can in and out without crawling all over your gear

One fault with the Orion is with the door it only opens on one side so if the wind changes you cant open the other side you can with the Venus.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.  I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.  I shall use my time." -Jack London

IP Logged

danel
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Well I have narrowed it down to a choice between the Exped Venus 111 or the MSR Elbow Room 111. The Exped is a bit bigger which might sway me. Does anyone have any of these tents?

IP Logged

lazyarse
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Hi danel,I've been using a MSR Fury(on left) for my last five or six years alpining and it has served my well in heavy weather conditions with seven days of snow  blizards (65 knt winds)and westland rain storms the longest test,yeh ya body is aching at that stage but a storm is as pleaseurable as it can get when you have peice of mind.I use it as a one maner but it is two,touching the sides gets ya bag wet over long periods of being hut bound which sucks,all tents do this due to the water your body releases.I'll try and attach a photoI highly recomend this tent.The tub floor acts like a waterbed if ya get flooded but does'nt leak!

IP Logged

lazyarse
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
It didn't come with guy ropes or snow stakes,you can buy them from the guys that supply it.Also it has good pockets down the sides and a great suspended ceiling shelf to keep things organised and handy,

IP Logged

DUCKSLAYER
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
bit of a overkill having a chillybin there lazyarse Grin

IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Thats a wicked pic, dont spose you had much trouble finding ice for your chillybin. Smiley

IP Logged

lazyarse
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Stops the bourbon an coke from freezn!

IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Stops the bourbon an coke from freezn!

Good on ya mate. Grin

IP Logged

Aunty
Donor Member

Forum Slapper

Reply #11 - Jul 1st, 2009 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
f**k me with a lawnmower, that looks cold

wicked, wicked pic, cheers

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

Matt S
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi danel,I've been using a MSR Fury(on left) for my last five or six years alpining and it has served my well in heavy weather conditions with seven days of snow  blizards (65 knt winds)and westland rain storms the longest test,yeh ya body is aching at that stage but a storm is as pleaseurable as it can get when you have peice of mind.I use it as a one maner but it is two,touching the sides gets ya bag wet over long periods of being hut bound which sucks,all tents do this due to the water your body releases.I'll try and attach a photoI highly recomend this tent.The tub floor acts like a waterbed if ya get flooded but does'nt leak!

I too have an MSR Fury, and i wouldn't reccommend anything else.  It has been out in some pretty severe weather and has never let me down.  A serious tent for serious hunting

IP Logged

blackbunny
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
How do you find your tent again after a hunt if you approach it from the rear?  Huh Cheesy

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

Aunty
Donor Member

Forum Slapper

Reply #14 - Jul 2nd, 2009 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
blackbunny wrote on Jul 2nd, 2009 at 3:02pm:
How do you find your tent again after a hunt if you approach it from the rear?  Huh Cheesy

BB if you approach anything enough from the rear, they, I mean it, becomes very familiar and easy to identify

Full tit. Nothing else.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards