Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Te Waiotukapiti (Read 2509 times)
Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Te Waiotukapiti
May 10th, 2009 at 3:48am
Print Post  
Just come back from heli trip in there, weather wasn't too flash but we got out a bit. Deer a bit scarce but pigs everywhere!! Mainly small ones and all black. Saw anywhere between 5 & 15 each day!! would be great fun with dogs, they'd be run ragged!! Where ever you go the bush had been turned over, rooting to within 20feet of the hut!! Good hut, plenty of firewood, big fireplace. Plenty of trout but once again mainly small ones, managed to get 2 about 3-3and a half pounds, interestingly, the trout were all in the faster water, none in any of the beautiful big pools. An interesting place but the windfall in the bush from the big snow a couple of years ago is bloody diabolical, very heavy going. The supposed track up the TeWaiokapiti stream is nonexistant, and the route up (or down) the creek is very hard going indeed,  with endless windfalls and log jams (and slippery rocks). Anyone contemplating the track to or from Waikaremoana is well advised to stick to the ridgetrack over the cage across the river. Much more practical route, and reasonably well marked.
An interesting place, but the country is a bit rough for these old bones now!!   Cry

IP Logged

brian
Donor Member

why tiptoe thru life only
to die safely

Re: Te Waiotukapiti
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2009 at 4:25am
Print Post  
Got any photos?I havent been there for over 40 years

Never argue with an idiot anyone watching may not be able to tell the difference

IP Logged

Horse
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2009 at 4:49am
Print Post  
I'm with Brian. Mid Waiau and Te-Waiokapiti were great spots, never any shortage of pigs back 30 odd years ago,or deer.

IP Logged

TJ
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2009 at 7:48am
Print Post  
You obviously did not go far enough up that track Viliking. That is the old cullers trrack that takes back to Te Totara hut and it does turn into a whole world of shit up further.

I have been there a couple or twelve times and the track up the Te Wai sream is down stream from the hut about 15 mintues. The wrong one from the sounds of it

IP Logged

SAKO 30-06
Donor Member

Good Boy.....

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2009 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Awesome place, love the hut Cool long way to go for average Deer numbers though Undecided But if you want to stay in a authentic hut and do a bit of fishing with very low people numbers it's tops Cool Last time I was in there the last hut book entry was three months old. went for a wee walk up the Te Waiotukapiti steam, had the odd marker down next to the stream, wasn't much of a track Huh

Wirehaired, mans best friend

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2009 at 8:35am
Print Post  
We did some animal sampling in there for the AHB for TB... Caught a lot of pigs and shot a few deer.  It is a great spot and an awesome old hut....  One of the best locations in the park IMHO.

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2009 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
brian wrote on May 10th, 2009 at 4:25am:
Got any photos?I havent been there for over 40 years

Took a few photos round the hut, but didn't take it out with me---didn't want to get camera wet!! Will get what I've got posted

IP Logged

Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2009 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
TJ wrote on May 10th, 2009 at 7:48am:
You obviously did not go far enough up that track Viliking. That is the old cullers trrack that takes back to Te Totara hut and it does turn into a whole world of shit up further.

I have been there a couple or twelve times and the track up the Te Wai sream is down stream from the hut about 15 mintues. The wrong one from the sounds of it

Nah --it was the right creek, came down it for over 3 hrs!! Last of it in the dark!! Ran out of daylight---a very long day!! Very pleased to see the hut!! Wet as a shag!

IP Logged

mango
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Looking at heading in to te waiotukapiti hut, never been in there before any more recent info on the place? Cheers

IP Logged

TJ
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
I would say that it would be hard work after the latest load of storms. There are a shit load of wood jams in the Waiau.

IP Logged

kaitieke1
Just Joined

Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
I was in there this year in may. plenty of deer around bugger all pigs. the river had changed heaps since the year before. huge piles of shingle and what were knee deep crossings the previous year where nearly over my head. I was staying up stream at central but walked down to the blue slip one day, unreal log jams, it would of been scary to be in there during that storm. like I said tho heaps of deer around, one thing that was realy noticeable was there where bugger all trout in the river, maybe the flooding took them out?

IP Logged

Old School
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Was a great spot in its day , but just like most areas in the Urewera and Motu the pigs have been hammered .
A few years ago you could fly in with yr dogs and give them a good run on the pigs and also bring a couple of nice ones home.
But lots chose to fly in for a week at a time and kill and leave up to 20 pigs them come home to brag about it .
It is known that some winters the pigs stave and die of , but the kill at will type hunting has done no favours.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards