Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) How to post photos & videos on the forum (Read 31376 times)
blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

How to post photos & videos on the forum
Mar 5th, 2009 at 4:07am
Print Post  
IMPORTANT NOTE:

Before posting photos on the forum it is highly recommended that they have vehicle number plate/s blanked out as the registered owner's name and address number plates can easily be obtained by anyone, including criminals who may be targeting vehicles or guns to steal.

Given that many of the forum stories make reference to firearms, hunting & fishing gear, it makes good sense not to make it easy for criminals to steal our gear.

There are three steps to posting photos on the forum.

Step One is to make a copy of your photo then resizing that copy to fit on the forum's page. To fit the forum the best size is no more than 800 pixels wide. You can use any graphics program to resize the pics, or see below for an easy image resizing program, VSO Image Resizer.

NOTE: The FishnHunt Image Hut and Photobucket (see Step 2 below) will resize your photos for you if you have set the photo size in the Customize Upload Options. However, you still have to upload the original photo which will have a large file size. If you do not have a fast broadband connection with a large data cap then it is best to resize your photos before uploading to Photobucket and FishnHunt Image Hut.

Step Two is uploading your resized pics to a photo hosting website as the internet does not have access to the photo folders on your computer.

The Forum Image Hut is available for donor members as a reward to supporting the forum financially.  You will firstly need to donate by using the donation button and when your status changes to gold you will see the donor code needed to sign up to image hut at the top a the donor section. This will become viable to you when your status changes to gold.

If you are a donor member you can upload and store photos for free on the FishnHunt Image Hut, otherwise you can use an image hosting website such as Photobucket or another host of your own choice.

Note that you need to register and create an account with your choice of hosting site before you can upload your photos. Remember not to delete the photos on your computer after uploading.

This is the uploading photos part:

Firstly, click on the Customize Upload Options link and select 800 x 600 then click on "&&&&&&&Save"&&&&&&&.

Now click on Browse Files and navigate to the folder on your computer where your photos are stored. Choose the photo or photos that you wish to upload and click Open. Photobucket will then start uploading your pics.

Handy tip: if you hold down the Ctrl button when clicking on the photos you can select more than one to upload at a time.

Another handy tip: If you wish you can open your photo folder and just drag and drop your photos onto the Photobucket page.

Once you have submitted a few photos you then need to go to the Library page to see your photos. Clicking on a photo will open it full size.

To view the link that you need for posting your photo on the forum hover your mouse over the top right of a photo and click on Get Links... as below.

You will then see something like this:

For photos that have been uploaded to Imageshack you will see a new page with a whole lot of coding options.

Click on forum code as shown below:

Using your keyboard press Ctrl+C to copy, go to your post on Fish n Hunt and use CTRL+V to paste.

Step Three: To display the photo you want on this forum site, just click in the IMG Code box as shown by the green arrow so that the text is highlighted, then copy and paste it into the forum reply box that you are typing in.

Handy tip: To make this process easier, open another browser window (go to File>&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&New>&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&Window) and open up this website (Fish'n'Hunt) so that you have both Photobucket and Fish'n'Hunt windows open at the same time. Now you can switch between the two to do your copying and pasting.

Once you have posted your reply the photos will magically appear.

Handy tip: Be sure to use the "Preview" button to check that your pics are showing.

Posting gory or graphic photos

Gory or graphic photos of "blood and guts" are not permitted to be posted on the forum. You may, however, post the link to such photos so that people have the choice whether to view or not. Very graphic or offensive photos should not be posted at all.

To post the link, copy and paste the Direct Link code as shown by the black arrow in the image above.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2016 at 10:36am by Alan »  

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Re: How to post an avatar
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 4:17am
Print Post  
To post an avatar (the little picture underneath your name alongside your posts), follow the instructions in the previous post to resize your picture but ensure that your picture size is no more than 125 pixels wide and less than 20KB in file size.

Although the forum automatically resizes avatar images to fit, avatars that are larger than this take a long time to download and chews through broadband users' bandwidth. Avatars that do not comply with these sizes will be removed.

After uploading your image to FishnHunt Image Hut, Photobucket or another host, go into your Profile by clicking on the User CP button near the top of the page then clicking Profile then Options. Enter your password then in the section "I have my own pic:" paste the code copied from the URL or Direct link box as in the first line of the image below:

Once you have pasted the code in your Profile ensure that a tick is placed in front of the link then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Save Changes.

Your avatar should now be loaded.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2013 at 5:04am by blackbunny »  

Dear Noah,
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Re: How to resize photos
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Any good graphics program will be able to resize photos so use whatever you have installed and are familiar with.

If you do not already have one, IrfanView is a very good free graphics viewer/editor as is FastStone Image Viewer.

Both programs have good help files which can be accessed via the Help menu and typing your query (eg resize images) in the Search field.

Basically, to resize an image in IrfanView, open your photo in IrfanView, click on the Image Menu, then Resize/Resample. A dialog box allows you to choose the new size for the image - type in 800 (for a landscape photo) and click OK to resize the image.

Now you need to save a copy of your image. Go to File > Save As, type in a new name for the picture then in the drop-down box underneath the file name, scroll down to and select the JPG - JPG/JPEG Format option then click Save.

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2013 at 5:05am by blackbunny »  

Dear Noah,
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Re: How to embed videos on the forum
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 2:04am
Print Post  
To embed a YouTube video on the forum, copy the URL from the YouTube page then click on the Insert Media  button, above the yellow highlighted H above paste the URL from YouTube into your post.

The embedded video will then show up as below.

Dear Noah,
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

hairy
Forum Font

Member of Fishnhunt since

Re: How to post photos & videos on the forum
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2009 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
That doesn't work with videos from photobucket though BB?  can we embed those?

"The universe and human stupidity are the only two things that are infinite; and I am unsure about the first" Albert Einstien
YouTube  
IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2009 at 8:07am
Print Post  
The only Photobucket video embedding I know is like this.

Dear Noah,
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #6 - Oct 6th, 2009 at 12:12am
Print Post  
another learning point in here is that if you're wanting to put up video's on Photobucket or YouTube you will run into issues with copyright if you've used recognised artists to add audio to your movies.

Youtube use some pretty sophisticated software for music/copyright detection these days Or you can use YouTube's audio swap, but if you do you'll lose any audio effects you had on your original clip.

There's a site at www.freeplaymusic.com that has copyright free music you can add to your clips but it'll take a long time to search through to find something you like (that was my experience anyway, but over time you could build up enough OK options)

Other tips from those who are successful at this seem to be to use only portions of recognised artists material and ensure there's talking, other outdoor noise in the clip as well or go for some real random artists!!

I've got heaps to learn in this area so have just added this note here so that the unwary (which was me) are more informed before you go spend hours on working in some great audio to your clips !!! . . . once bitten . . .

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Just a question BB-and thanks for the help earlier.
When I click on the img link under my pic in photobucket-it highlights it-but when I go into H&F website to modify a post--the paste part in the edit slot is not highlighted and as a result I can't paste it to the post????
bloody weird--I've tried reboot-refresh and still no luck.
Any ideas?
Cheers Baz.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

cleaky
Forum Font

... pass me my 16 gauge,
I'll handle this ...

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Highlight it, then hit ctrl+c or right click > copy Baz.

It used to auto copy but has stopped doing that.

It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

IP Logged

blackbunny
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Yep, just as cleaky says. It no longer auto-copies so you have to copy it yourself.

Some people are not so good using keyboard shortcuts or right-clicking and may find it easier to go to Edit > Copy instead. All three methods work.

Dear Noah,
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2009 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Thank you Cleaky and BB-appreciate the help Smiley
I should use short cuts more often--It worked at last---Which keys can I hit to get me up the steeper ridges--and a couple of short cuts to the bush clearings would be great ta.
Cheers. Roll Eyes

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Jakesy

The mighty Canterbury

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 3:50am
Print Post  
How long can you edit or modify your posts for after you post them?? Like if i want to go back to a thread i started and add a pic or comment etc, can i still do that the next day?? It seems the "modify" and "delete" boxes disappear, and only the "quote" and "alert moderator" remain. Cheers

IP Logged

MADNESS,
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 4:00am
Print Post  
You have 24 hours to edit a post

IP Logged

Mohoua
Forum Font

An inordinate fondness
for beetles

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2010 at 2:53am
Print Post  
Best Thing to do is abandon Photobucket all together, Get picasa and a picasa web album. All free.
You can upload photos straight out of picasa - resizes the automatically and all you have to do to get the link is right click the picture and press copy image location and put the little img tags on the ends.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

The grass is always greener..

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2012 at 4:53am
Print Post  
I have a video thats 485MB. How do I shrink it before uploading it to Photobucket. Right now it fills the whole screen when I play it, but it really only need to be about 600 pixels wide.

Can someone tell me how to reduce it in size, or recommend a program to do it?

yours, total dummy

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

The grass is always greener..

Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 3:11am
Print Post  
Ok no one knows.. Grin so I will answer my own question for anyone else interested.

First read this..

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-resize-a-video/

then install this totally free software..and follow instructions from first link..

http://www.virtualdub.org/index.html

Happy resizing..

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

KScott_NZ
Forum Font

Reply #16 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Why not just use YouTube ? You can make the video private so that people must click on a link to view it, and it'll keep the native resolution of the video.

IP Logged

sooty

Reply #17 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 12:24am
Print Post  
i followed the instructions for uploading a vid from youtube  but just wont work am i missing something?

no such word as can't just havn't figured out how yet
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards