Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 97 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Heli-hunting……..watch out!! (Read 46759 times)
charles001
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Heli-hunting……..watch out!!
Feb 20th, 2009 at 1:52am
Print Post  
I have been advised by the Minister of Conservation that DoC are currently processing three concession applications for heli hunting in parts of the South Island. The applications will be publicly notified in the near future, so this is our chance to have a say and show our distain for these activities.

Once a single concessions has been granted a precedent has been set and things will never be the same again. We all lose! This really is our chance to squash these activities before things take off.

I would expect the NZDA and Game Forest will be submitting with all their might against these concessions.

I will try and find out when these applications are being publicly notified and post it on here.

The Minister also advised the following with regards to tightening up of the WARO permits. Make of it what you will.

I can also advise some background about the process for the renewal of the Wild Animal Recovery Operation (WARO) permits. Over the last five years, WARO permits have come to be used for a wide range of wild animal activities using aircraft. Some of these activities now go beyond the scope of what the department had intended at the time these permits were issued. Greater clarity is now required, which can only be achieved by separating out the different types of WARO activity and permitting them accordingly.

In the past, WARO concessions have allowed helicopter operators access to large areas of public conservation land for the hunting and recovery of wild animals. This removal of substantial numbers of introduced grazing animals was seen to have a nature conservation benefit for our forests and grasslands. The situation today is more complex. WARO permits have been used by some concessionaires to support activities that are more of a recreational nature, such as “helihunting” (or aerial safari hunting as you refer to it in your letter) and the positioning of recreational hunters.

The national process for reissuing WARO permits will cover only the activities which are considered to be of a “nature conservation benefit”. It will be limited to helicopter operators who are certified to supply by the New Zealand Food Safety Authority (NZFSA) and who hold a supply contract with the NZFSA approved processor. In the past, there have been compliance issues with WARO permits. To overcome these issues, a new draft permit has been developed by my department’s legal advisers.

Other aircraft activities for which the benefit is primarily commercial or recreational, such as helihunting, the capture and conveying of trophy animals, and the positioning of recreational hunters will be expressly excluded from the WARO permit. This does not mean, however, that helihunting will not be permitted by means of a concession, as it is not an illegal activity. It is only illegal if it does not have an approved permit. The way it has been conducted in the past was outside of the scope of the WARO permit.

IP Logged

shankspony
Ex Member

Re: Heli-hunting……..watch out!!
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 2:55am
Print Post  
I think it might be time to correspond with the minister.
Any legitamising of helihunting will be a major step backwards in relations between DOC and hunters.
The last thing we should put up with is a helicopter being able to legally fly over us and shoot for a clients trophy.

IP Logged

Distant Stalker
Forum Font

Finem Respice

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 3:11am
Print Post  
how many members are there on the forum alone? would be quite a big voice if we could coordinate something

IP Logged

CreepingDeath
Forum Font

A vote for the greens
is a vote for green rain,

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 3:13am
Print Post  
Its funny thats its thought of as not illegal because something that is consistantly over looked is the fact that any fire arms operation on or out of a vehicle is deemed illegal in the fire arms code, I understand that this is comonly disgarded as spotlighting and other normal hunting activities are second nature in this country. Never the less its is stipulated in the arms code as ILLEGAL

Of all the guns Ive loved before,

IP Logged

Ruzzo
Banned

Banned for life for poor
behaviour.

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Exemptions can be obtained for almost anything CreepingDeath.

Banned for life for poor behaviour, was asked to apologise and retract threat to Forum guide.

IP Logged

Striker-The Original
Donor Member

Bigger Better Faster Stronger />

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 9:02am
Print Post  
CreepingDeath wrote on Feb 20th, 2009 at 3:13am:
Its funny thats its thought of as not illegal because something that is consistantly over looked is the fact that any fire arms operation on or out of a vehicle is deemed illegal in the fire arms code, I understand that this is comonly disgarded as spotlighting and other normal hunting activities are second nature in this country. Never the less its is stipulated in the arms code as ILLEGAL

I didnt think it was illegal to use a firearm in a vehicle on private property.

(From the arms code)
• You cannot drive a vehicle on a road with a loaded
firearm. This includes the magazine - it must be empty.
• Even on private property it is dangerous to have a loaded
firearm in a vehicle, or to get in or out of the vehicle with
a loaded firearm.

doesnt say its illegal just dangerous

• Carrying a firearm that is loaded (whether in its breech,
barrel, chamber or magazine) in or on a motor vehicle on
a road or in any place to which members of the public
have a right of access

Thats illegal but didnt someone have have a point that you can legaly shoot off the road if standing by the vehicle??? Huh

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Thanks Charles,
Did you write to the minister specifically regarding "helihunting"? 
Without the detail of what they intend to do I'm hesitant to comment but this might be a move in the right direction.  The biggest beef most of us have had is the indiscriminate manner in which WARO operators have worked.  Commercial hunting is a legitimate activity and we have to live with it.  If this stricter regime takes out the operators supplying meat to local outlets it would be a good thing.  If it meant their operations are restricted to certain areas at certain times of year that would be a good thing.
I'd like to see DOC consult with the punters on this as it would be good for DOC and the hunters to get it all out in the open and layed on the table.  Of course there is no compulsion for them to do what they agree too but at least we would have record of their treachery if that came to pass Angry Angry

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Someone should rark up the CAA and cops about this.

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 10:04am
Print Post  
CAA have already said its nothing to do with them and the cops have better things to do than chase poachers!
Sorry mate but there's no will on the part of DOC to pursue the issue as the costs eat up their meagre budget and the courts won't support them.  The Mt Hutt case recently clearly showed we might as well piss in the breeze.......

IP Logged

Striker-The Original
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Well if the CAA, police and DOC dont or wont do anything about it, What can we do to stop it? Im talking contructively here because if we dont get it stopped or under control it has the potential to become like or worse than the 1080 issue and doing what they want when they want.

striker
(Am I on the right track? little bit slow tonite)

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Maybe this season we could fund a couple of teams of guerillas and stake out the heli hunters favourite hunting areas.  Once on the ground confront them and their clients with a veiw to arrest and detention for a breach of section 38 of the conservation act.
If DoC won't sort it out why don't we, be a good news story and might even shame the arseholes at DoC into action.  Grin

ahhh just a thought  Roll Eyes

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Seriously if you want to see change then join NZDA and then write to the Minister of Conservation stating your concerns with the current situation and lack of game management in this country.  Make sure you are polite and to the point.  Just point out the stupidity of wasting such a valuable resource, the bad press overseas from unsporting behaviour, the lack of long term damage to our forests and grasslands from grazing ungulates etc.  you get the picture....  If they are told enough times they might begin to question the status quo and thats virtually all we can hope for at present.

An education program for those unduly influenced (brainwashed) by the eco-fundementalist's  Wink Wink

IP Logged

HiTop
Forum Font

Tops by dawn, a day in
heaven

Reply #12 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Weathered wrote on Feb 20th, 2009 at 10:26am:
Maybe this season we could fund a couple of teams of guerillas and stake out the heli hunters favourite hunting areas.  Once on the ground confront them and their clients with a veiw to arrest and detention for a breach of section 38 of the conservation act.
If DoC won't sort it out why don't we, be a good news story and might even shame the arseholes at DoC into action.  Grin

ahhh just a thought  Roll Eyes

Like your style there W Smiley Smiley
Seems that that breach is about to be addressed by the minister!  Make it not a breach and he's away laughing.....  He's a smart cookie but maybe pointing out this sneaky way round the Conservation Act might embarrass him somewhat Wink Wink

I'm starting to think empowering NZDA to the level of lobbying strength that F&B has is the only way to see change occur.  Its worth fighting for though, I've got three kids and I'll do everything I can to make sure they can "Hunt the hills" like we have done without being harassed and disadvantaged by a select few!

IP Logged

Striker-The Original
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
HiTop wrote on Feb 20th, 2009 at 10:29am:
Seriously if you want to see change then join NZDA and then write to the Minister of Conservation stating your concerns with the current situation and lack of game management in this country.  Make sure you are polite and to the point.  Just point out the stupidity of wasting such a valuable resource, the bad press overseas from unsporting behaviour, the lack of long term damage to our forests and grasslands from grazing ungulates etc.  you get the picture....  If they are told enough times they might begin to question the status quo and thats virtually all we can hope for at present.

An education program for those unduly influenced (brainwashed) by the eco-fundementalist's  Wink Wink

Thats the best idea Ive heard yet. I hear SURVIVE CLUB is eagerly awaiting your call for request for tacticool training. Grin Grin Roll Eyes

United we stand divided we fall.
Im defineately with you there Hitop.
I dont have kids but I certainly will stand up and be counted to protect the hunting rights for the next generations.
What exactly is the NZDA stance on this matter currently?

IP Logged

Alfie
Always Remembered

Dad, I dug a hole...

Reply #14 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
This is the reason I joined NZDA last year, and have been active on the submissions/concents identified by them also.  A united voice, at the appropriate level. 
There's no point complaining to somone that can't fix your problem...

It's filling with water.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 97
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards