Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Sub $10 goatskin floor rug. (Read 23805 times)
rambro
Donor Member

Re: Sub $10 goatskin floor rug.
Reply #30 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
How much acid do i need for a fallow skin? And  does it have to be left for months?

IP Logged

Rhys
Forum Font

Reply #31 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Follow the recipe for the proportions, and just make enough to submerge the skin in with allowance for slop and stirring. And no, months is overkill, I just put the bucket in the corner and forgot about it, a week or two should be more than adequate. The link to mother earth news has in the article the method for checking it is cured right through.

It only takes a cup or so of acid to a bucket of water and salt, you're changing the PH to pickle and change the skin chemistry,  not dissolving the skin.

Of course I'm compensating. If I could kill stuff at 200 meters with my dick, I wouldn't need a gun.

IP Logged

rambro
Donor Member

Reply #32 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Cheers mate

IP Logged

Jimmybob
Just Joined

Reply #33 - Jun 28th, 2013 at 12:41am
Print Post  
nice. will be trying this out on the next goat skin I get Smiley

IP Logged

Hackmeat
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #34 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
howed ya go? gona try some sheep skins next day or two

fun with meat

IP Logged

Jimpanz
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #35 - Jan 29th, 2014 at 9:49am
Print Post  
awesome. you make it look so easy. might have to try it on a few bunnies and hare before I attempt a larger skin.

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #36 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
After seeing the results on this thread I thought I'd give it a go. I tried it first on a old skin I had in the freezer. That turned out alright, so I gave it another go with a nice Summer Sika Skin. Here's the pics.

I had this old drum lying around which was handy. Finding the battery acid was a mission so I gave Hydrochloric acid a go. I got it from the local concrete place, $25 for 2 litres. Plain salt from the supermarket (I just used iodised)

I scored a pallet off a local business, they were happy to let me have one.

I came out pretty good.
I soaked it in a mixture of half a cup of acid, kilo of salt and about 15 litres of water. I let it sit for a couple of weeks, then got it out and scaped any excess flesh off with an old paint scraper. Then back in the tub with another 1/2 cup of acid and bag of salt. I let it sit for a couple more weeks, then pulled it out and rinsed it in a bucket of water. Then I nailed it up onto the pallet. It took about 2 days to dry. After it was dry I gave it a rub with neatsfoot oil, to soften it up.   It definately is worthwhile taking some extra care in skinning the deer in the first place as it will make the job much easier down the track.
Probably cost less than $10 in materials and a few hours time. Next misson will be a Red skin. Smiley

I tried to keep the tail on but it got hair slip after the first soak, so I had to cut it off. Has anyone got any tips on how to keep the tail on?

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

SAVAGE
Donor Member

Do what you've always
done...........

Reply #37 - Mar 6th, 2014 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
With all the hassle of finding the acid ect I just ordered a bottle of Leders tanning solution for about $20. I tanned the skin off a young sika I shot a few weeks ago and have enough left over to do another few full size skins. Used the water blaster to flesh it and neatsfoot oil to finish it, came out as good as the ones i've had done professionally. 

and get what you've always got.

IP Logged

SCHMIDTa

Reply #38 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
I have done about half a dozen skins like this over the past few months and I reckon they turn out great. The skin side is pure white and once buffed comes up feeling similar to felt. Although reasonably soft and supple, they aren't quite up to scratch with a skin I paid to have tanned a while back and I was wondering whether its just a case of them needing more working, or they haven't been tanned the same way so will never be identical?
I have read and heard from a taxidermist that this "tanning" solution is actually only a pickle, and does not truly "tan" the hide but preserves it?

Does anyone know how professional tanneries do it? I know that skins are put through a pickle first but then what solution is used? And can this be done at home?

Cheers.

IP Logged

SCHMIDTa

Reply #39 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
And yes, the sulfuric acid was a real hassle to get hold of! However, with a bit of haggling, I managed to score 15 litres.

IP Logged

felixx
Forum Senior

Always looking for a spearfish
or hunt around chch

Reply #40 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Thank you.
Taking junior wallaby shooting in may. He wants a skin for his room.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards