Fishnhunt New Zealand hunting and Fishing Forum Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

| Forum 1995-2002 | Forum 2002-2006 | To Fishnhunt Mainpage |
  Home Donate Advertise HelpSearchLoginRegister Historic Photos  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unexpected Treat,,, (Read 995 times)
EC
Forum Font

northern buller
Unexpected Treat,,,
Dec 6th, 2008 at 7:45pm

My mate was a game keeper for many years, been around the globe hunting different game animals also and has always had an interest in birds,the feathered variety.
Recognising  different bird species  on the wing etc at  long distance is a breeze fi Keith,their history etc,etc.
On this particular trip however,birds were off the list and Thar were our quary,well?
Bouncing our way up the valley,stopping  now and again to glass here and there, it wasn't too long before we spotted a group of the animals.
Deciding ti set up at the hut first before doing the slog, we carried on and hadn't gone far when Keith spots a Sparrow Hawk.
Away he goes again,their habits,territory,blah'blah,,.cant help himself.
What really intrigued him with this wee chap though was the fact that he was dive bombing a stretch of shallow water.
Next time round he clipped the water and hooked into what appeared ti be a fish.
In one swift manouvre the Hawk had caught and landed himself a trout.
Well my mate was beside himself,never had he observed or heard of a Sparrow hawk catching trout,me neither fi that matter.
We drove  up close for a better look,climbed out and stood staring,,great sight.
The  hawk had his talons just in behind the gills of the wriggling trout and was whacking into its head.
Not a big trout by any means  but good enough,,mmmm.
Now pan fried trout is something I'm quite partial to and it dont always come by the way of courier and still kickin like.
My mate was obviously thinking along those same lines,,the look on his face said it all.
As we approached it was quite obvious our featherd friend could read our minds.
Pissed off he let go the trout,,backed off a little then threw every bit of language he knew at the pair of us,,put on a real act he did,who wouldn't?.
Next thing he's airborne and to our surprise,,parks himself on the truck door giving us the evil
eye,,still abusing us.
Feeling a tad guilty, well sort of,, we left him the head and guts before bouncing on up the valley.
We thanked our feathered angler later that night,,went down a treat.

I'd be very interested ti hear if anyone else  has witnessed a NZ Falcon actually catching or    attempting ti catch fish,,any fish,,unusual, I'm sure?
Keith with the monster trout Tongue

He didn't want ti leave,hard case.

Not that happy Smiley

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

iceman
Ex Member

Re: Unexpected Treat,,,
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 8:00pm

Thats a beauty read and pics EC, The only story I can tell ya is when I was wipper snapper this bloke told me "those birds that are diving into the water are great to eat"  now these birds were diving in and coming up with little fish like a herring/sardine, I watched em for a while imagining how these birds, supposed to taste like chicken could be caught. I came up with the idea of a flat board and a piece of shiny tin cut to resemble a small fish nailed in the centre, this worked a treat with these seagull type birds diving from a great height into this fish close to the surface, I recovered several birds for home consumption just before receiving a large size 12 fair up my backside from a passerby. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Roaring_Red
Forum Font

Click.... f*ck!

Hokitika
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 10:07pm

Havent seen them catch fish but have seen the two up the back of my place chase ducks and some big hares

IP Logged

12pointer
Donor Member

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Ikamatua GreyValley West Coast
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 11:02pm

Haha, hard case alright. Smiley

IP Logged

Tahr-Bound
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 6:10pm

Roaring_Red wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 10:07pm:
Havent seen them catch fish but have seen the two up the back of my place chase ducks and some big hares

That was pretty impressive alright.I was sitting there wondering if they would have a go at him then all of a sudden they were off bloody swooping and diving at him, the bugger made the bush though.

IP Logged

Deathwind
Donor Member

Keen hunter

Nelson
Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 9:19pm

Paul Peychers has taken photographs twice now in seperate years in the Greenstone valley of Falcons taking smaller trout. They appeared to be different birds from the colour of their plumage  so evidently its not a one of.
Neat birds

IP Logged

Roaring_Red
Forum Font

Click.... f*ck!

Hokitika
Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 10:55pm

can you post a pic of that deathwind or a link

IP Logged

whereami
Donor Member

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

Upper Hutt
Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 11:01pm

sorry i coulnt help myself

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

northern buller
Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 11:25pm

Deathwind wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 9:19pm:
Paul Peychers has taken photographs twice now in seperate years in the Greenstone valley of Falcons taking smaller trout. They appeared to be different birds from the colour of their plumage  so evidently its not a one of.
Neat birds

Thanks there Deathwind Smiley
Is there a chance at all ti maybe see a pic?
Feel free ti drop an email my way with any imfo.

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

northern buller
Reply #9 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 11:29pm

whereami wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 11:01pm:
sorry i coulnt help myself

No need ti apologise,,I know yi cant help yiself Grin Grin Smiley

IP Logged

shankspony
Donor Member

Better to stand for something
thn fall for nothing

king country
Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 7:32am

Wow, thats amazing. Its a good size fish for a bird that size.
While I don't have a fish story, me and a mate watched two Falcon try and take a Kea one day, but everytime they attacked, the Kea would dive into the scrub. As they came past us, one of them saw me move, and closed up his wings and dived, so did I. Man can they move, I guess he missed me by about a meter.

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

TAUPO
Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 8:00am

Were they nesting?

IP Logged

shankspony
Donor Member

Better to stand for something
thn fall for nothing

king country
Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 9:31am

primer wrote on Dec 14th, 2008 at 8:00am:
Were they nesting?

It was April, so I don't think so, But i'm presuming that it was territory based aggression.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Gisborne
Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:53am

Fascinating read and great pics EC- never seen the native falcon taking trout before. It was obviously fishing illegally-so you did the right thing by confiscating the catch.
NZ Falcons are ground nesters and it seems ironic that their prey, namely rats and stoats, sometimes get revenge by eating the eggs or the chicks.

Too Old To Die Young&&

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

northern buller
Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 9:26am

Baz wrote on Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:53am:
Fascinating read and great pics EC- never seen the native falcon taking trout before. It was obviously fishing illegally-so you did the right thing by confiscating the catch.
NZ Falcons are ground nesters and it seems ironic that their prey, namely rats and stoats, sometimes get revenge by eating the eggs or the chicks.

Cheers Baz, That trout was in very shallow water.I'm picking his stearing gear was breaking the surface,doubt the hawk would've bothered if he was any deeper,,was all very interesting Smiley

IP Logged

Daggs
Forum Font

The good life

Palmerston North
Reply #15 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 9:10pm

Fish musta just about weighed as much as that little fula....suprised he didnt crap on ya wagon Grin

IP Logged

oneipete
Donor Member

Cambridge
Reply #16 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 4:23pm

I am often on the waikato river in a 12 ft tinny in the evenings and there are several harrier hawks that fly up n down the river looking for dead stuff floating along they can eat.

However ive seen the same bird on two occassions catch live fish and fly away with them,hes  bloody small for a hawk though about twice the size of the one in your pics you nicked the fish off.

Great things never happen in comfort zones. Great ideas never develop after a few quiet bottles of water..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print