Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Reduced Loads (Read 2698 times)
Δ○Χ□
Ex Member

Reduced Loads
Nov 22nd, 2008 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Reduced loads, Managed recoil, Youth loads etc - this topic seems to come up reasonably regularly.  There have been some quite different approaches to achieving reduced loads, but here is one direct from a manufacturer that is presumably tested, safe in all cases and requires no stuffing around with filler etc.

Hodgdon recommend using H4895 - I emailed ADI and this powder is 2206H (I will paste in their email below)

If H4895 (or 2206H) is listed for a load then multiply the max load by 0.6 (60% of max) The Hodgdon data sheet is here http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf  Note the data is from Hodgdon & I have personally made the stretch to include ADI data - make your own decision please.

You can adjust up or down by another 10%.  It says nothing about fillers and states that the powder ignites uniformly at reduced loads.  (I recon a little filler dosent hurt Wink)

I am currently using this to keep my .243 cranking a little longer - a new Mannlicher barrel is going to be $1500+ Shocked  Same would apply to 22.250 shooters or any overbore cartridge - they dont need to be going full speed to smoke vermin or at the range.

Good luck - please post up any results or comments Smiley

Text from ADI email:

Thankyou for your recent enquiry with regard to reloading using ADI Sporting powders.

Some ADI propellants are sold in the US by the Hodgdon Powder Company, including AR2206H which is sold as H4895.  It is the same powder.

Extreme caution should be taken and loads should be worked up accordingly. Refer to our website at www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide or our handloaders’ guide for more information, warnings and reloading safety.

We thankyou for using ADI Sporting Powders

IP Logged

muzza
Donor Member

Older and grumpier

Re: Reduced Loads
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Be aware that reduced loads may need a filler wad to hold the powder against the primer flashhole to ensure proper detonation . If the powder falls flat in the horizontal case in the gun the primer flame may flash above the powder , leading to detonation and all sorts of scary stories to tell your hunting buddies when you get out of hospital...  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

IP Logged

Δ○Χ□
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
muzza wrote on Nov 22nd, 2008 at 9:14pm:
Be aware that reduced loads may need a filler wad

Hodgdon make no mention of filler and if you take a second to actually read their datasheet they state that H4985 ignites uniformly at reduced charges i.e no detonation - this is information direct from a major firearms company not from some local tweaker!  I have been using a bit of filler "just in case" though.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Have you blokes tried trail boss?  It's made in a doughnut shape so that it fills more of the case.  $161 for 4.5 kgs at the local gun shop.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

primer
Forum Font

Where is the Sika!!?

Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Anyone set up a chrony at an angle to test if there is change?

IP Logged

Spanners
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 10:50am
Print Post  
primer wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 at 7:31am:

We were talking about this last night me and Cyclist lol.....
I suggested he hold the Chrony  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
primer wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 at 7:31am:

Nope, but you can use some simple trigonometry to work it out. It's further between the beams if the bullet path isn't perpendicular to them. The distance = 1/COS, which gives the following outcomes:

misalignment       reported velocity
zero                       3000 fps (true velocity)
5 degrees               2989 fps
10 degrees             2954 fps
15 degrees             2898 fps
20 degrees             2819 fps

The difference from true is worse at higher velocities and not so bad for slower ones. Given most people's ability to eyeball a straight line pretty well, misalignment shouldn't be an issue to worry about.

Of course, the same theory applies in the vertical and horizontal plains, so having both misaligned would be worse than shown above.

I do a quick check through the scope to make sure the wires at the front of the chrony frame the wires at the back evenly - put your scope on a low power or it won't work though. A bit of tape on each of the wires at the same height helps to check vetical alignment.

IP Logged

Tankd
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 8:08am
Print Post  
For a Reduced load just use the Data from "Cast Bullet loads".
If your load is over 50% case capacity or you are using "fast" powders (pistol/shotgun etc) using a filler can cause pressure problems and or  accuracy problems.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards