Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS AND TRICKS (Read 8701 times)
blackbunny
Donor Member

GREAT PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS AND TRICKS
Sep 24th, 2008 at 2:06pm

This thread is for great tips and links to useful photography sites.

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns

IP Logged

whereami
Forum Guide

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

camera review sites
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 5:31pm

IP Logged

whereami
Forum Guide

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

photography sites that help
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 5:29pm

IP Logged

kiaorakid
Forum Senior

Re: photography sites that help
Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 2:18pm

This ones a goodie also ...

www.digital-photography-school.com

Check out the blog - it has heaps of tips and he'll send out a weekly letter if you subscribe (for free)

GTalk  
IP Logged

whereami
Forum Guide

Today, you people are
no longer maggots.

What is and Why shoot in raw.
Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2008 at 1:48pm

IP Logged

12pointer
Forum Font

You haven't shot many,
if you havent missed
a few.

Improvised Camera Tripod - kiwi style
Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2008 at 4:02pm

This is an idea i use for an in the field improvised camera tripod, which works well.
I drilled and tapped the end of my hunting knife, and screwed a piece of theaded stainless steel into it. The threaded rod was simply a piece cut off a stainless steel bolt, but a brass bolt would be just as good if not better. You just jam the knife into a log or branch or a clay or dirt bank and, instant tripod Smiley.

You can leave the threaded bit permanetly in either the camera or the knife. I left it in the knife for a start, until one night i was spliting the pelvis of a deer in the dark, and placed the point of the knife into the pelvis, and then clouted down on the end of my knife with the palm of my hand, forgeting about the threaded camera stud sticking out the end of it  Cry.... i said a couple of buggers i think Roll Eyes

note the slot i cut in the "stud" so you can use a screwdriver to wind it out if required.

The stud left with the camera

The old film camera hardly gets used these days, but it was handy to take a pic of for this article.

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Steady Cam.
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 12:40pm

Hi
I just finished making my own version of a steady cam support. I usually use a tripod for taking steady vids-but there are times when you need to move freely while taking vid footage. And it's not always easy in rough places to get steady footage just holding the cam in your hands.
I made this setup out of 20mm pipe from a plumbing outlet.

It's very light and I can take it apart to stow in my daypack.

As you can see you need 3 end caps. 1 tee junction and about 1 mt of tube.
you also need a counter weight the same weight as your vid cam.

I'am using 6mm bolts for this--the top bolt needs to be the same thread size as a standard cam thread fitting. about 1/4 I think. they are usually all standard.

I drilled a hole in both the top and bottom end caps to fit the bolts through--I used large washers on the inside. and for the top I put on a wingnut to screw into the cam with a large supporting washer.

This unit is very steady-it enables you to use both hands to hold the cam while moving and you can also rest it on the ground and pan or tilt the shots.
For the shooters you could also add another tee junction higher up the tube and make a rifle rest for those shooting  scenes.
I've played back some footage using this sytem and it is remarkably steady--far more stable than just using the hand held system
I hope you can follow the idea via the pics--and it enables you to take steady shots.

The best way to hold it steady is one hand holding the cross bar and the other just under the tee junction-the counter weight keeps the movement to a minimum.

Cheers Baz.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards